- The exercise, in the waters off the U.S. state of Hawaii, follows North Korea’s several mid-range ballistic missile tests in recent months.
- Canadian Prime Minister Justin Trudeau will host the presidents of the U.S. and Mexico in Ottawa for the first summit of North American leaders since 2014.
- Egypt is struggling to justify its recent expansion of the Suez Canal. Now, its longtime rival Panama has ratcheted up the pressure with an expansion of its own waterway.
- A study, based on computer simulations of dynamos created by turbulent liquids, argues that between 500 million and 1 billion years ago, Earth may have had a multipolar magnetic field.
- Some of the weapons were used in a shooting that killed two Americans at a police training facility in Amman, Jordan, according to a joint investigation by the New York Times and Al Jazeera.
- The move is a major step forward for internet companies under governmental pressure to eradicate violent propaganda from their websites.