There are 17 days remaining before the summer transfer window officially closes, and several of the top Premier League clubs are still trying to finalize shock moves.
Other than their supposed ties to former Manchester United star Cristiano Ronaldo and winger Gareth Bale, the Red Devils have had Everton star midfielder Marouane Fellaini on their radar all summer.
The Belgian did have a £23.5 million clause that United could have forked over to the Toffees, but that has since expired and Everton boss Roberto Martinez has insisted he won’t drop the price. Several teams like United and Arsenal were hoping that once the clause expired Everton would lower their demands, according to the Daily Mirror, but its just the opposite.
“This is not a situation where we are actively putting up players for sale because we need the money, it is definitely not the case at all,” Martinez said to the Mirror. “And when you are in a strong position financially you will never sell a player for less than the buy-out clause.
Continue Reading Below
Coming up on the end of his first summer in Old Trafford, new United boss David Moyes saw Fellaini’s promise firsthand at Everton. Over the last five years Fellaini has totaled 25 goals in 138 appearances.
The Mirror also reported United’s new pursuit of striker Samuel Eto’o, who is desperate to leave Russian club Anzhi Makhachakla. They will have to battle Chelsea, along with Italian club’s Napoli and Inter.
The Cameroon international is willing to lower his wages in order to make the switch. He’s currently one of the highest paid athletes in the world, at roughly £19 million a year.
The Luis Suarez and Liverpool saga continues. The 26-year-old Uruguayan striker told newspaper El Observador that he would return to the Merseyside next season, only to deny making those comments after his national team’s 4-2 victory over Japan on Wednesday, as reported by the Telegraph.
Arsenal have steadfastly pursued Suarez this summer, but the Reds have already turned down £35 million and £40 million offers. Now the Gunners have a final offer of £49 million, and Liverpool may take it unless Suarez can repair some the damage he’s done by apologizing to boss Brendan Rodgers and his teammates.
Based on a new report from The Sun, Real Madrid believe they finally have a deal in place with Tottenham for Gareth Bale. It appears £81 million, just one million more than the world-record fee for Ronaldo, will be enough to pry the Welshman from White Hart Lane.
However, Madrid also feels that Spurs will wait until the very last day of the transfer session, Sept. 2, before finally agreeing to move Bale. New boss Carlo Ancelotti thinks it’s the same tactic Tottenham used with Luka Modric last year, which resulted in the Croatian’s early struggles with the transition, according to the Daily Mirror.