The cause of legendary musician Prince's death was ruled out as an accidental overdose on fentanyl. Now reports say that several pills taken from the “Purple Rain” singer's estate in Paisley Park were mislabeled and actually contained fentanyl, an opioid more powerful than heroin.

An official involved in the investigation told the Associated Press that the pills were found in bottles of Vitamin C and aspirin. Some of them were located in a suitcase and bags, one of which Prince carries with him often.

There was reportedly an aspirin bottle which contained 64 counterfeit tablets in it as well. There was also a prescription bottle which contained oxycodone pills, but the prescription was made in someone else's name.

Prince tested negative for fentanyl before he died, which suggests that he was not a long-time user of the pill. An autopsy on the musician's body also showed that he had diazepam, an anti-anxiety drug; lidocaine, a local anesthetic, and hydrocodone acids in his body.

The “Nothing Compares 2 U” singer was found dead inside an elevator in his home in Chanhassen, Minessota on April 21. He was wearing a shirt, a grey undershirt, pants and a black cap when he was found, according to CNN.

A week before his death, Prince's plane made an emergency landing in Moline, Illinois after a concert in Atlanta. The musician was taken to the hospital and was reportedly treated for pain medication overdose. A day before his death, Dr. Howard Kornfeld, an opioid addiction specialist in California, was reportedly contacted by the musician's team.

The legendary musician's death saddened millions of fans worldwide, but it was also instrumental for another legendary musician to take action about her addiction. Singer Chaka Khan had admitted herself to a rehab facility after learning about Prince's cause of death, according to Billboard.

“The tragic death of Prince has had us both rethinking and reevaluating our lives and priorities,” Khan said, referring to her and her sister Yvonne Stevens a.k.a Taka Boom's decision. “We knew it was time to take action and save our lives.”

Prince died at the age of 58.

Prince Prince’s cause of death at age 57 was a “self-administered fentanyl” overdose. The star is pictured Oct. 11, 2009. Photo: Getty Images