Cristiano Ronaldo revealed on Tuesday that he will be the subject of a documentary detailing his life and career to date, yet it remains to be seen what his next step on the pitch will be. The change of manager at Real Madrid this summer, with Carlo Ancelotti being replaced by Rafa Benitez, has fueled much speculation that the Ballon d’Or winner for the last two years could be tempted by another club.

Perhaps sensing an opportunity, it is French champions Paris Saint-Germain that have continued to be linked with a big-money transfer. It had already been reported last month that the oil-rich club were willing to spend 125 million euros to make the move happen, and now French publication L’Equipe has claimed that the Portuguese star remains PSG’s top target. However, it is said that any potential deal is likely to happen next summer rather than this one.

That would make plenty of sense. Ronaldo signed a five-year contract to stay at Madrid two years ago, meaning by the time the end of next season rolls around he will be entering the crucial negotiating window of having two years remaining on his deal. At that point, PSG may also have far greater license to spend their huge riches, with UEFA recently suggesting that they plan to relax the Financial Fair Play rules that have recently restricted the huge investment of clubs like PSG.

Ronaldo could also have greater motivation to seek a change next year. Having made his support for Ancelotti public before he was dismissed, there is much interest in the state of his relationship with Benitez. Were things not to go well this season and were Real Madrid to end another campaign trophy-less, then, at the age of 31, Ronaldo could potentially opt for a move.

There could well be a shakeup of Madrid’s attack this summer, regardless of whether Ronaldo departs. Spanish sports daily AS reported earlier this week that while Real Madrid president Florentino Perez is eager to make Manchester City’s Sergio Agüero the club’s latest “galáctico” signing, Benitez wants to bring Álvaro Morata back the Bernabeu from Juventus. Real Madrid inserted a clause into Morata’s sale to the Italian champions last summer allowing them to get the 22-year-old back for €30 million this season or €35 million in a year’s time.

Reports in Manchester, though, suggest the internal debate about which striker should be targeted will ultimately prove meaningless. Regardless of the amount Real Madrid will offer, Manchester City will have no interest in allowing Agüero to leave the Etihad, according to the Manchester Evening News.

Real Madrid are in need of attacking reinforcement, having opted against turning Javier “Chicharito” Hernández’s loan deal from Manchester United into a permanent one before the deadline set by the Premier League giants. But the Mexican striker has revealed that he would still consider a transfer to Real Madrid if he were given assurances about playing time. Hernández struggled for minutes this past season before injuries to teammates late in the campaign offered him a chance that he took by scoring the winning goal against Atlético Madrid in the Champions League quarterfinals.

“Yes, but what I want is to go to a team where I can play and get games,” he told Marca in response to being asked whether he wanted to stay with Real Madrid next season. “If that's Manchester United or another team, I'll be happy, too. That's my priority over and above anything else.

“Real Madrid had a deadline by which to buy and they let it pass. Right now, they are like any other club and today I'm a Manchester United player. That's the true reality.”