Madrid

Madrid have to act quickly if they are to snatch Tevez from Corinthians.

Real Madrid have already signed five players this summer in their quest to oust arch-rivals Barcelona from their perch. Madrid had already brought defender Raphael Varane, midfielders Nuri Sahin and Hamit Altintop as well as forward Jose Callejon before Fabio Coentrao's €30 million move from Benefica. And they don't look like stopping there.

Madrid manager Jose Mourinho has stated that he plans to buy one more player - an attacker - during this summer's transfer market.

Mourinho said in an interview with the club's official website, We decided to improve and balance the squad without ever losing the dimension of creating a team for the future. We have signed players whom we felt were important to complete a squad that was already very strong.

''In my opinion, and in that of everyone, we are missing one more man, one more attacker.

We have a team that needs to grow and at certain moments it could feel some weakness on an emotional level and in terms of experience, he said. I am delighted to work with them because they are highly motivated and want to learn and win. The technical staff is absolutely delighted.

That one more attacker is rumoured to be Manchester City striker Carlos Tevez, though Madrid have to act quickly if they are to capture him. Late on Monday, news broke that Argentine side Corinthians had tabled a €40 million bid in order to fulfill the Argentine's wish to return to his homeland.

Tevez's agent Kia Joorabchian said, Negotiations have already begun. Corinthians are in contact with us. His (Tevez) dream and mine is to see him back with Corinthians. He said he has a job that does not end there, he wants to return because he has the dream of winning the Copa Libertadores.

Corinthians have made the offer, now it depends only on Manchester City. The City has to make a decision. Everybody is working to make this happen, I, Corinthians, Tevez, Adrian Ruocco (the other agent who works for Tevez). It is impossible to determine the situation, but I think it is close.

Apart from Tevez, Madrid are also linked with Chelsea's Brazilian centre-back Alex who is also wanted German champions Bayern Munich. If Madrid proceeds with a move for Alex, the deal could see a straight-swap for Pepe, whose future at the Bernabeu has been the subject of recent speculation.

Pepe is believed to be unhappy at the lack of progress with a contract extension at Madrid, and the Brazi-born Portuguese has been rumoured to be the target of new Chelsea boss Andre Villas-Boas who has earmarked the Blues' central defence as the area that needs working on.

Another Madrid player who could head to the Bridge is former world player of the year Kaka, who found himself playing second fiddle to Mesut Ozil. The Brazilian has insisted that he wants to stay and fight for a place, but Madrid could sell him in order to raise enough cash to bid for Tevez.

Inter Milan are also interested in him, with reports claiming the Italians already have a £27million bid rejected for him as Madrid are looking to recoup something closer to the £56million they paid for the midfielder back in 2009.

Finally, Madrid have left-out Lassana Diarra from their pre-season tour of America and this could see Manchester United and Tottenham bid for the former-Chelsea man. However, Real are demanding a hefty £20 million for him, which could prove a stumbling block.