- Shia-Sunni Conflict Again Erupts in Iraq
January 14 2012 10:44 AM
The ancient enmity between Shia and Sunni Muslims exploded in violence again on Saturday in Iraq when a suicide bomb killed at least 50 Shia pilgrims and wounded almost 100 in the southeastern city of Basra, according to Iraqi police and security officials.
- Muslim Cleric Says Facebook is Un-Islamic, Membership Sin
January 11 2012 5:28 AM
A Muslim cleric from Iran has claimed that the social networking site Facebook is un-Islamic and being a member of it is a sin, the ISNA news agency reported last week.
- Coptic Christians: Egypt’s Besieged Minority
January 10 2012 9:52 AM
The Christian presence in Egypt stretches as far back to the earliest days of Christendom.
- Naguib Sawiris: Christian Facing Blasphemy Charges in Egypt
January 09 2012 2:49 PM
Some Conservative Muslim groups are calling for a boycott of Sawiris' many companies.
- Shia-Sunni: A Deadly Ancient Schism in the Islamic World
January 09 2012 8:38 AM
The split goes all the way back to the death of the Prophet Muhammad in the year 632 and it had to do with succession.
- Pigs in a Mosque: Religious, Ethnic Hatred Stirred up in Malaysia?
January 03 2012 1:55 PM
Pigs and pork products are considered ‘haram’ (unclean) by Muslims and the act of defiling a mosque in such a way is considered an incitement of religious hatred.
- Maldive Islands Close Tourist Spas After Islamic Protests
December 30 2011 1:41 PM
Now there are concerns the closures (if they are permanent) will hurt tourism to the islands.
- Texas Christmas Day Massacre Alleged to be Islamic Honor Killing: Truth or Islamophobia?
December 28 2011 3:22 AM
The shocking murder-suicide rampage by a Santa-suited gunman, killing six of his relatives before shooting himself in Dallas, Texas, on Christmas morning has been alleged to be an Islamic honor killing.
- Indonesian Youths’ Heads Shaved for ‘Moral’ Training, Police Deny Human Rights Violation (PHOTOS)
December 15 2011 8:57 AM
Indonesian police have detained 65 young men and women, from different areas in Aceh Besar, of the country's Banda Aceh province, and shaved their heads because they apparently posed a threat to Islamic values; these youngsters reportedly attended a punk rock concert on Sunday.
- Arsonists Vandalize Jerusalem Mosque, Anti-Arab Graffiti Reads ‘Mohammed is a Pig’ (PHOTOS)
December 14 2011 8:27 AM
Unknown arsonists set an unused mosque in Jerusalem ablaze and sprayed anti-Arab graffiti on its walls early on Wednesday morning, provoking Muslim sentiments and prompting the government to take action.
- Gingrich Calls Palestinians an 'Invented' People
December 10 2011 6:57 PM
Republican presidential candidate Newt Gingrich thrust himself into controversy on Friday by declaring that the Palestinians are an invented people who want to destroy Israel.
- The Rise of Twitter Terrorists and What it Means for Global Security
December 08 2011 4:23 PM
Al-Shabab, the Islamist rebel group in Somalia with al-Qaida ties, became the latest
- Harvard Fires Hindu Professor for Writing Anti-Muslim Tract
December 08 2011 3:47 PM
he op-ed came on the heels of a series of bombings in Mumbai that killed almost two dozen people in mid-July.
- Islamic Cleric Bans Women from Touching Bananas, Cucumbers to Avoid ‘Sexual Thoughts’
December 07 2011 6:15 AM
In a ridiculously repressive and absurd proposal, an Islamic cleric residing in Europe has banned women from touching or being anywhere close to bananas and cucumbers, in a bid to avoid sexual thoughts.
- Shia Muslims Practice Self-Flagellation and Walk on Fire Prior to Ashura (PHOTOS)
December 05 2011 8:51 AM
Followers of Shia Islam known as Shia Muslims across the world took part in mourning processions on Sunday prior to observing Ashura; the Muslims flagellated themselves and walked on fire.
- PTA’s Ban on ‘Obscene’ Words Garners Backlash: Top Tweets Trending on Twitter
November 21 2011 8:10 AM
PTA’s Ban on ‘Obscene’ Words Garners Backlash: Top Tweets Trending on Twitter
- Pakistan Re-Invents Texting: PTA Bans List of 'Obscene' Words Like 'Deposit' and 'Taxi'
November 21 2011 3:20 AM
The PTA has banned a list of words they consider obscene from use in mobile texts and have instructed service providers to block them or face the consequences. The blockade started on Nov. 21, purportedly under a 2009 bill titled Protection from Spam, Unsolicited, Fraudulent and Obnoxious Communication Regulations.
- Aliaa Magda Elmahdy Describes Intent Behind Naked Photos and Her Fight for Freedom
November 20 2011 11:37 AM
In an exclusive interview with CNN, Aliaa Magda Elmahdy describes the reason she posted the naked photos on her blog and how she is determined to continue fighting for freedom.
- Egyptian Activist Aliaa Magda Elmahdy Poses Naked, Provokes Uproar
November 17 2011 2:17 PM
Aliaa Magda Elmahdy, an Egyptian activist who is protesting limits on free expression in the country, posted naked photographs of herself online and has incited a national uproar.
- George Harrison and India: The Real ‘Magical Mystery Tour’
November 17 2011 8:46 AM
George Harrison inadvertently became the greatest promoter of Indian culture and Hinduism to the Western world during the 20th century.