Articles by Alberto Riva
- Where Is Costa Concordia? Still There, And Not Going Anywhere Anytime Soon
January 11 2013 4:59 PM
A year later, the ship remains in the shallows off Giglio Island, its captain is talking about Osama bin Laden and its helmsman has vanished.
- Another School Shooting, Just As Biden Meets NRA
January 10 2013 1:28 PM
In the grimmest of coincidences, the latest school shooting happened on the day of a meeting at the White House on gun violence prevention.
- Boeing's 787 Dreamliner Has Another Fire-Related Incident
January 07 2013 2:56 PM
The revolutionary jetliner has been in service for more than a year with a sterling record but now faces a problem: the risk of onboard fires.
- 737 MAX Boosts Boeing In Battle With Airbus
January 02 2013 1:04 PM
The Airbus A320 is selling the fastest, but the Boeing 737 is still the world's best-seller. Here are some rivalry statistics.
- What World's Papers Are Saying About The Connecticut Shooting
December 14 2012 4:38 PM
The Sandy Hook massacre instantly made headlines around the world. Here is a selection of front pages from the Web.
- First In America - American Airlines Gets The Boeing 777-300ER
December 11 2012 3:51 PM
As it prepares to exit bankruptcy and fights off advances by US Airways, American Airlines adds a big, new 300-seater jet to its fleet.
- 'Return Of The Mummy' - Berlusconi Appalls Europe, Again
December 10 2012 3:02 PM
Europe's media reacted with horror to the ex-PM's possible return, and not just because of the bunga-bunga parties and economic disaster.
- Kidnapping Of Berlusconi's Right-Hand Man Shocks Italy
November 19 2012 12:44 PM
The man who paid girls to attend Silvio Berlusconi's infamous bunga bunga parties has been kidnapped -- and released, possibly for a giant ransom. No one knows.
- Florida Crash Puts Spotlight On Troubled F-22 Raptor
November 16 2012 1:21 PM
The 3rd crash of the modern F-22 Raptor draws attention again to the U.S. Air Force's newest jet.
- What If Texas Really Were Its Own Country?
November 14 2012 4:11 PM
At least 80,000 people think Texas should secede. Here's a look at what kind of nation they'd get. Hint: It would be big.
- Italian Politician On Obama Victory: 'Can't @#*%!ng Stand It'
November 09 2012 2:31 PM
Of all the political reactions from around the world to Obama's re-election, the one from Mario Borghezio, an Italian member of the European Parliament, takes the cake for un-diplomatic vulgarity and just plain weirdness.
- Why The European Union Deserved Its Nobel For Peace
October 12 2012 12:29 PM
The vast ranks of the Euroskeptics are having a field day mocking the EU's Nobel Prize for Peace. They are wrong: It's among the most deserved ever, and here is why
- More Arms For Baghdad: Iraq Buys $4.2 Billion In Russian Weapons
October 09 2012 4:43 PM
Just weeks after finalizing a deal to buy American F-16s, the government of Nouri al-Maliki buys missiles and helicopters from Washington's rival on the arms market, too.
- Thai Airways Gets Its First Airbus A380
September 27 2012 4:24 PM
The world's biggest passenger airplane has a new operator, as Thai Airways International gets its first double-decker giant.
- Surprise! Who Owns The Mag That Published The Kate Middleton Topless Photos? Silvio Berlusconi
September 14 2012 2:43 PM
The former prime minister of Italy, media billionaire and notorious womanizer owns hundreds of publications. It turns out that the French mag that disgusted Britain by doing what nobody had yet dared to do is also one of Berlusconi's many properties.
- Philippe Petit, The Man Who Walked Between Twin Towers, Says 'Nothing Can Replace Them'
September 11 2012 6:12 AM
In 1974, when the towers were brand new, a young French street artist took New York by storm when he walked on a wire between them. Today he reminisces on that feat, talks about his myriad projects, and explains why One World Trade Center just isn't the same thing.
- Foes No More, Iraqi Pilots Now Fly The F-16 -- And They Love It
September 06 2012 6:12 AM
For a mere $8 billion, Iraq gets brand spanking new American fighter jets -- and a heavily armed neighborhood gets some more lethal, highly advanced weapons
- Finland Makes Plans To Leave The Euro - Or Does It?
August 17 2012 1:46 PM
An interview in a British newspaper sets off a European panic: the Finns may be thinking they've had it with the common currency.
- Millionaires On US Unemployment? Yes, And That's Perfectly Legal (For Now)
August 09 2012 6:29 AM
Data compiled by the Congressional Research Service show that thousands of Americans making more than $1 million got unemployment benefits.
- Does Tim Geithner Really Fly Coach Class?
August 02 2012 2:51 PM
The Treasury Secretary has been seen flying from DC to LA, on official business, among the mortals at the back of the plane. That is government policy - except when it isn't.