Articles by Alberto Riva
- Inside Damascus, Fear And Refugees As Assad Battles Rebels In The Capital
July 25 2012 12:49 PM
16 months after the beginning of the rebellion against Syria's government, conflict rages in the capital. As civilians end up on the front lines, this is what their city looks like from the inside.
- Journalist Shocks France By Asking Minister "Did You Get The Job Because You're Beautiful Or A Minority?"
July 23 2012 12:25 PM
The first French government minister of Asian descent, Fleur Pellerin, was in no mood to be insulted by interviewer Daniel Schick.
- Fifty Years Later, Still A Guitar God: Keith Richards, The Soul Of The Stones
July 11 2012 9:52 AM
He's the ultimate rock and roll bon vivant and a survivor of heroin and hardcore partying, but fifty years after the debut of the Rolling Stones, Keith Richards remains one thing above all: an extraordinary musician.
- Boeing Nabs First Order From New United Airlines: $8 Billion For The 737 MAX
July 09 2012 1:38 PM
The order war with Airbus heats up as the Farnborough salon heats up, and so far it's Boeing by a landslide with $15 billion worth of orders in one day, all for its new medium-range jet
- Boeing, Lockheed Fight Europe's Typhoon For South Korea's Multibillion-Dollar Jet Fighter Order
July 06 2012 1:41 PM
Orders for dozens of fighter jets worth as much as $200 million each don't happen often. When they do, manufacturers fight tooth and claw, and that's just what's happening in South Korea.
- Costa Concordia's Captain Schettino Says 'Divine Hand' Inspired Maneuver On Doomed Ship
July 05 2012 3:41 PM
The disgraced captain whose luxury-liner shipwreck killed 32 passengers in January is a free man again, and he's not going down without a fight.
- Sergio Pininfarina, Legendary Ferrari Designer, Dead At 85 [PHOTOS]
July 03 2012 2:44 PM
He was a household name in Italy, and his sleek, fast cars made him a design icon around the world. Sergio Pininfarina, of the eponymous design firm, is dead at 85. Here are some of the exceptional vehicles he created.
- Health Care Reform Supreme Court Decision: 'Victory For Obama' Makes Big Headlines In Europe
June 28 2012 2:01 PM
For the first time since Bush v. Gore 12 years ago, the U.S. Supreme Court was news around the world.
- What Euro Summit? Italians And Germans Transfixed By Soccer As Monti, Merkel Clash On Finances
June 28 2012 6:03 AM
National stereotypes and the European debt crisis entwine as Italy and Germany meet Thursday for the European Cup semifinal.
- Airbus Smells Good Business In Wider Plane Seats For Bigger Americans
May 25 2012 1:02 PM
U.S. government data says that one American in three is obese -- and a European plane maker sees it as a sales opportunity.
- What's Johnny Depp Doing With A Communist Newspaper?
May 10 2012 2:27 PM
A small, far-left-wing daily newspaper in Rome has snagged a Hollywood superstar as its testimonial in a campaign to drum up subscriptions -- and it turns out Depp isn't the only big-name actor lending support to Il Manifesto.
- European Rescue Fund Agrees To Give Greece 5 Billion Euros
May 09 2012 2:33 PM
The entity set up by eurozone countries to provide emergency funds for member nations in crisis has agreed on Wednesday to issue a payment of 5.2 billion euros ($6.7 billion) to Greece -- but not before bickering about it.
- What Now For Europe? What Could Happen After French And Greek Elections Changed Political Landscape
May 07 2012 2:46 PM
Socialist Francois Hollande will lead France after Nicolas Sarkozy got ousted by voters fed up with austerity. In Greece, the far-left and far-right have made big gains. But it may not be time just yet to start worrying about the fate of the euro zone.
- Last Of The Raptors: Lockheed Delivers Final F-22, As Pilots Refuse To Fly It
May 03 2012 6:37 PM
Lockheed Martin has delivered the last of its controversial F-22 stealth fighters to the U.S. Air Force. At 400 million dollars each, it's the most expensive jet fighter ever -- but some say it's not the most capable. And some pilots are afraid of it.
- 'Liar!' 'I'm Not Your Pupil!' Hollande, Sarkozy Mince No Words In French Presidential Debate
May 02 2012 7:18 PM
The French had one chance of seeing a debate between the two men facing off for the presidency. On Wednesday, they certainly got a lively confrontation.
- Lufthansa Takes Delivery Of First Boeing 747-8
May 02 2012 12:45 PM
With a ceremony in Frankfurt, Lufthansa became the first airline in the world to take delivery of the 747-8, the latest version of the Queen of the Skies.
- Obama In Afghanistan Signs Pact With Karzai, Announces End Of War By 2014
May 01 2012 8:25 PM
President Barack Obama spoke to the nation Tuesday evening during a surprise visit to Afghanistan, confirming that U.S troops will leave by the end of 2014.
- Danish Police Arrest Three On Terror Attack Suspicion
April 27 2012 9:06 AM
Police have detained three young men in Copenhagen, Denmark, on suspicion of planning a terrorist attack.
- U.S. Agriculture Department Reports Case Of Mad Cow Disease In California
April 24 2012 3:40 PM
The USDA confirmed the fourth case of BSE in the United States, in a dairy cow in central California.
- United Continental May Buy 200 Jets From Boeing For $17 Billion
April 23 2012 4:40 PM
The world's largest airline is looking to expand its fleet of narrow-body jets, and has dropped European planemaker Airbus from pre-order talks.