Articles by Alexander C. Kaufman
- JC Penney Can't Care About A Lawsuit When It's Close To 'Blowing Up'
September 12 2013 11:12 AM
J.C. Penney just needs to make it through the year, not care about which companies it has burned.
- JC Penney's Home Goods Disaster Just Got Worse
September 12 2013 8:46 AM
The struggling retailer is being sued by its Swiss-based vendor over what may be the exact thing wrong with the company.
- Why Apple Isn't In The DJIA
September 10 2013 1:48 PM
In a nutshell, Apple is too expensive to be included in the 30-firm Dow Jones Industrial Average, the most-cited stock index in the world.
- Guess Who 'Owns' Italy? It Starts With A 'B'
September 10 2013 10:14 AM
Italy's sovereign debt is owned almost entirely by insurance firms and banks.
- The New York Times CEO Is Still Haunted By His BBC Days
September 09 2013 12:04 PM
Mark Thompson is facing accusations he overcompensated departing executives at the BBC with hefty severance packages.
- Who Pays Interns? This Tumblr Lists The Few Media Firms That Do
September 05 2013 5:05 PM
Peter Sterne, a senior at Columbia College, is documenting who pays interns in the media industry.
- Yes, Everyone Hates Yahoo's New Logo; No, It Doesn't Matter
September 05 2013 1:49 PM
Yahoo's new logo is resoundingly disappointing, but that won't matter to the brand in the long run.
- Why Raytheon's Tomahawk Missiles Are The Best -- And Worst -- Option For Striking Syria
September 03 2013 4:45 PM
Raytheon's Tomahawk missiles are worth more than $1.4 million each.
- Four Pertinent Facts About Nokia
September 03 2013 11:14 AM
Everything you wanted to know about Nokia: from where Nokia got its name to what's next for its CEO.
- Aereo CEO Says TV Commercials Need Some Disruption [EXCLUSIVE]
August 30 2013 2:04 PM
Chet Kanojia says viewers are skipping through commercials anyway -- it’s time to figure out a new model.
- Exclusive: Aereo To Launch On Android In Sept.
August 29 2013 4:42 PM
As Aereo expands rapidly from the East Coast to the Midwest, it's also (finally) launching on Android.
- Why Western Firms Won't Fret Over Syria
August 29 2013 12:40 PM
Most Western companies have been out of Syria for the past two years.
- US Military Preps For Cruise-Missile Strike On Syrian Regime: Report
August 24 2013 6:22 PM
Doctors Without Borders claims 355 of about 3,600 people displaying neurotoxic symptoms have died since an alleged chemical-weapons attack.
- 50 Years After March On Washington, Equality For All Is Still A Dream
August 24 2013 3:13 PM
Martin Luther King Jr.’s eldest son said it’s “not a time for nostalgic commemoration.”
- Big Pharma Doesn't Care What You, Or China, Think
August 23 2013 4:07 PM
Despite ballooning scandals in China, Big Pharma is used to bad reputations -- and that won't change anytime soon.
- Why Abercrombie & Fitch Won’t Make A Comeback Anytime Soon
August 23 2013 1:52 PM
Forget Abercrombie's "fat" kids controversy -- the real demographic problem is a much bigger deal.
- 10 Suitors Eyeing Bids On Hong Kong's Grocery Giant ParknShop
August 22 2013 5:45 AM
Bids on the company, owned by Li Ka-shing, Asia's richest man, range from $3 billion to $4 billion.
- Why Wal-Mart Should Buy Chinese Supermarket ParknShop
August 21 2013 3:57 PM
Wal-Mart's organic growth in China has been underwhelming. It may be time for a bolt-on acquisition.
- JC Penney - And The Rest Of The US Retail Sector - See Storm Clouds
August 21 2013 6:32 AM
Bad weather and a poor economic outlook are driving down sales, analysts say.
- Why Is Turkey's Lira OK As Most Emerging Market Currencies Struggle?
August 20 2013 12:38 PM
Turkey's central bank acted fast, and it's helping the lira against the dollar.