Alexander C. Kaufman
- Wall Street Pay Set to Rise In 2013, Especially In Equities
June 26 2013 5:49 AM
As head count reductions decrease in the equities trading market, a report is predicting a strong year ahead.
- Michael Hastings 'Onto A Big Story' 15 Hours Before Death
June 22 2013 5:23 PM
KTLA published an email sent to colleagues a day before the reporter's death in a fiery car crash.
- 2 Killed In Ohio Air Show Plane Crash
June 22 2013 2:40 PM
A stunt plane crashed at an air show near Dayton, Ohio, killing two people.
- Jake Tapper Pretty Much Predicted The Obama Administration Would Produce An Edward Snowden
June 22 2013 2:13 PM
Jake Tapper was calling out the Obama administration's enforcement of the Espionage Act back in February 2012.
- White House Petition To Pardon Edward Snowden Passes 100,000
June 22 2013 11:38 AM
The petition to pardon the whistle-blower passed the necessary 100,000 signatures.
June 21 2013 2:13 PM
On the laundry list of things Turkish Prime Minister Recep Tayyip Erdoğan should do to restore his image as a Western-style democratic leader: Fire Egemen Bağiş.
The pugnacious European Union minister, responsible for negotiating Turkey’s way into the 27-nation club, has done little but humiliate himself and his country with a series of combative public statements and decrees that make him seem disconnected from reality at best, and waxing despotic at worst.
He said in a speech last week that he deemed protesters in Istanbul’s Taksim Square supporters or members of terrorist organizations. He spent 849 words lambasting The Economist over an article comparing Erdoğan to a sultan. And on Thursday, he ignited already fraught relations with Germany, the de facto leader of the EU, by claiming Chancellor Angela Merkel was stalling Turkey’s accession talks because she was “looking for domestic political material for her elections.”
- Oracle Falls On Missed Expecations
June 21 2013 11:29 AM
Oracle's revenue remained stagnant in its fourth quarter, ending May 31.
- Could Cuba And The US Really Be Friends?
June 21 2013 10:24 AM
The U.S. and Cuba are holding talks about policies and programs both governments want revised.
- It's Turkey's EU Minister Vs. Germany's Angela Merkel
June 21 2013 10:03 AM
Egemen Bağiş is no fan of the Economist, nor of Angela Merkel.
- Fed's Tapering 'Inappropriately Timed': Board Member
June 21 2013 9:30 AM
The president of the St. Louis Federal Reserve Bank urged the U.S. Federal Reserve not to taper just yet.
- What Radiohead's Thom Yorke Wants To Sell To Wall Street
June 20 2013 4:04 PM
Radiohead's Thom Yorke is auctioning his 2005 painting in London.
- Here's What It Costs To Do Shady Business With Iran: New York State
June 20 2013 1:07 PM
Japan's largest bank is paying big-time for its alleged illegal dealings with Iran and other sanctioned regimes.
- Did Tom Hayes Rig This Key London Interest Rate?
June 20 2013 10:07 AM
The former UBS trader is the first of a group of alleged conspirators at international financial firms to face charges for manipulating the Libor.
- Samoa Air Rolls Out XL Seats For XL Passengers
June 18 2013 5:00 PM
Samoa is one of the most obese countries. Now its airline accommodates that reality.
- Why Calls In State Prisons Cost So Much
June 18 2013 3:13 PM
Phone companies in state jails give kickbacks to prisons and charge insane prices.
- Did HSBC Rig Key Asia Interest Rate?
June 18 2013 11:16 AM
Maybe Hong Kong needs an Edward Snowden-type in its banks.
- 3D Printing Gets Foot In The Door At Footwear Companies
June 18 2013 10:19 AM
Nike and New Balance are using 3D printing to build custom shoes.
- Turkish Minister Furious At The Economist Magazine
June 17 2013 4:15 PM
EU Minister Egemen Bağiş had some choice words for the weekly British magazine.
- Should EU Accept Turkey Despite Deadly Protest Crackdowns?
June 17 2013 1:20 PM
Some say Turkey is an economic powerhouse needed to recharge the EU's economy, but more say it isn't ready.
- Where In The World Is The New York Times' Declan Walsh?
June 17 2013 11:03 AM
The Islamabad bureau chief, kicked out of Pakistan, has resurfaced nearly 12,000 miles away.