Articles by Amir Khan
- Brain Cancer Vaccine Extends Life Expectancy: Other Cancer Vaccines In The Works
April 18 2012 11:43 AM
A new vaccine aimed at treating an aggressive form of brain cancer extended the expected survival rat by almost 50 percent.
- Children Exposed To Pollution In The Womb More Likely To Be Obese
April 17 2012 3:58 PM
Children exposed to a common pollutant in the womb are more likely to be obese by age 7, according to a new study
- Greenhouse Gas Emissions Rise As U.S. Economy Recovers
April 17 2012 3:08 PM
U.S. greenhouse gas emissions increased in 2010, ending a two-year decline. The EPA attributed the increase to an upturn in the economy.
- Sound Waves Destroy Prostate Cancer And Other Conditions, Study
April 17 2012 1:37 PM
Using sound waves to destroy tumors may be an effective way to eliminate prostate cancer, according to a new study.
- Genetic Link Of Osteoporosis Found: How To Prevent Bone Loss
April 17 2012 11:13 AM
Researchers identified a genetic link for osteoporosis, and hope the finding can lead to better treatment of the disease.
- Child Deaths From Accidental Injuries Decline 30 Percent
April 16 2012 4:55 PM
The number of children who die from accidental injuries is on the decline, even though suffocation and poisoning deaths are on the rise.
- Brides Use Feeding Tubes to Lose Weight: Why Are Crash Diets Unsafe?
April 16 2012 2:44 PM
A new crash diet has women putting feeding tubes into their nose in order to lose weight quickly.
- Cleveland Students Fix Potholes With Silly Putty-Like Liquid [VIDEO]
April 16 2012 1:59 PM
An engineering contest asking students to use simple materials to create a novel product may have led to a new fix for the scourge of drivers everywhere -- potholes.
- Chin Implants And 4 Other Weird Plastic Surgeries
April 16 2012 11:19 AM
Chin implants, also known as chinplants, were the fasting growing surgery of 2011.
- Scientists Engineer Stem Cells To Seek Out And Kill HIV
April 13 2012 4:32 PM
Researchers created stem cells that can seek out and destroy HIV in mice, giving hope that an effective cure is on the horizon.
- Antibiotic-Resistant Bacteria Found In Ancient Cave
April 13 2012 2:06 PM
Researchers discovered antibiotic-resistant bacteria in a 4-million-year-old gave, bringing into question how these potentially deadly bacteria are created.
- Mars Robot ‘Found Life’ On Red Planet In 1976, Scientists Say
April 13 2012 11:49 AM
A Mars rover found life on the red planet in 1976, according to a new study
- Tennessee ‘Monkey Bill’ Becomes Law, Allows 'Alternatives' To Evolution
April 12 2012 8:11 PM
A controversial bill that permits the teaching of creationism alongside evolution was allowed to pass on Wednesday in Tennessee.
- Birth Control Pills Get New FDA Warning
April 12 2012 4:10 PM
Birth control pills that contain drospirenone, a synthetic version of the hormone progesterone, must contain a warning to consumers stating that they may cause blood clots, the FDA mandated
- Earthquakes in Central U.S. ‘Almost Certainly’ Tied To Fracking
April 12 2012 3:20 PM
The marked increase in earthquakes in the central U.S. is almost certainly being caused by fracking, according to a new study.
- Does Your Child Hear Voices In His Head?
April 12 2012 12:49 PM
More than a fifth of children age 11-13 hear voices in their head, according to a new study.
- Bacteria ‘Munching’ On Titanic Could Reduce It To Rust Heap In 30 years
April 12 2012 12:08 PM
Iron-eating bacteria is slowing disintegrating the the Titanic, scientists said. The wreck could be completely gone in 30 years.
- DARPA Offers $2M Prize For Rescue Robots
April 12 2012 9:47 AM
DARPA, a division of the U.S. Department of Defense, is offering a $2 million prize to anyone who can develop a humanoid robot that can complete a set of disaster challenges.
- Hangover Heaven Bus Promises Partiers Hangover Cure
April 11 2012 3:07 PM
The Hangover Heaven bus promises to cure your hangover in 45 minutes - - but what causes hangovers in the first place?
- A Pint Of Beer Gets The Creative Juices Flowing, Study Finds: ‘Sometimes It’s Good To Be Distracted’
April 11 2012 12:40 PM
Men who had a couple of drinks performed better on a series of brain teasers, suggesting to researchers that a few drinks gets the creative juices flowing.