Articles by Amrutha Gayathri
- Thai Baht Drops Amid Continuing Political Uncertainty
December 23 2013 6:18 AM
Investors are not buying the baht, which suffered also from the Fed’s decision to wind down its bond-buying program in January.
- Bangladesh Factory Owners Charged In 2012 Fire
December 23 2013 3:13 AM
Workers were allegedly misled into believing that the fire alarm went off as part of a routine fire drill.
- India Ignores US Security Concerns Following Attack On Mumbai Pizza Outlet
December 23 2013 1:07 AM
Protesters ransacked a Domino’s Pizza outlet in a Mumbai suburb on Friday demanding a ban on U.S. goods.
- Morgan Stanley Offloading Commodities Business
December 21 2013 1:59 PM
The investment bank announced the sale of oil trading business to Russia’s state-run Rosneft.
- Google, Apple Buses Targeted By Protesters In San Francisco
December 21 2013 11:36 AM
Protesters say that high-paid tech industry workers are displacing low-income residents in the city.
- Mikhail Khodorkovsky Released From Prison
December 20 2013 7:18 AM
The former oil tycoon and Putin’s foe, who was convicted on charges of tax evasion and embezzlement, received a presidential pardon.
- UK GDP Robust In Q3, But Current Account Deficit Spikes
December 20 2013 5:23 AM
Analysts say economic growth could worsen existing imbalances in the economy as CAD increased three-fold over the previous number.
- EU Leaders Tread Uncharted Waters With Ambitious Banking Reform
December 20 2013 4:00 AM
The deal involves the creation of a $75 billion common European fund to tackle ailing banks while avoiding expensive, taxpayer-funded bailouts.
- Ebay’s Omidyar Makes Journalism Foray With $50M Outlay
December 20 2013 1:00 AM
Omidyar pledges $50 million for a media company that will have a digital arm and a journalism arm.
- Brazil Jobless Rate: 11-Month Low
December 19 2013 7:04 AM
Thursday’s government data showed that the labor market remained strong despite weak growth and rising inflation.
- White House Panel Proposes Reforms To Curb NSA Spying
December 19 2013 6:55 AM
“The message is very clear. NSA, you’ve gone too far,” Senate Judiciary Committee Chairman Patrick Leahy said after the report’s release.
- Kerry Expresses 'Regret' Over Diplomatic Row, NY Prosecutor Defends Arrest
December 19 2013 4:39 AM
The U.S. attorney in Manhattan criticized India for focusing solely on the official’s arrest and not on the underpaid victim's plight.
- Bristol-Myers Squibb Closing In On $3B Deal With AstraZeneca
December 19 2013 1:46 AM
A report about an imminent deal shows that the two partners are betting differently on the market for diabetes drugs.
- India Approves Landmark Anti-Corruption Bill
December 18 2013 7:29 AM
The move, which was delayed for almost five decades, comes soon after the ruling Congress party suffered a major blow in state elections.
- UK Jobless Rate Falls, But Has The BOE Moved On?
December 18 2013 6:05 AM
The Bank of England said short-term interest rates in the U.K., U.S. and euro zone have diverged more than earlier in the year.
- US-India Row Escalates Over Indian Diplomat’s Arrest
December 18 2013 4:35 AM
India withdrew special privileges to U.S. diplomatic officials in India, while politicians snubbed visiting U.S. delegations.
- What’s In Store For Singapore’s Rioters?
December 18 2013 1:19 AM
The men, all of them Indians barring one Bangladeshi national, are implicated in the worst riot in the city-state in 40 years.
- UN Appeals For $6.5B In Aid For Syria
December 17 2013 7:17 AM
The amount represents half of all global humanitarian aid the U.N. and its partners will require in 2014.
- German ZEW Sentiment At Highest Level In 7 Years
December 17 2013 6:09 AM
ZEW analysts expect economic development in Germany and the euro zone to improve further in 2014, while others urge caution.
- Are Antibacterial Soaps Really Safe?
December 17 2013 4:28 AM
The FDA has said risks associated with antibacterial soaps may outweigh their benefits and have unexpected hormonal side effects.