Articles by Amrutha Gayathri
- Greek Unemployment Rate Refuses To Inch Down
December 11 2013 5:53 AM
A stubborn jobless rate shows Greece continues to reel under austerity measures put in place following the nation's debt crisis.
- Homosexuality Once Again Illegal In India
December 11 2013 3:16 AM
Dealing a blow to gay rights, India’s apex court ruled that a lower court’s 2009 decision in favor of homosexuality was not supported by law.
- US Expresses ‘Disgust’ Over Ukraine's Treatment Of Protesters
December 11 2013 12:59 AM
“The United States stands with the people of Ukraine. They deserve better,” Secretary of State John Kerry said.
- 'Giant Of History' Mandela Honored By World Leaders
December 10 2013 7:36 AM
“It is hard to eulogize any man...how much harder to do so for a giant of history, who moved a nation towards justice,” President Obama said.
- Chinese Hackers Broke Into EU Ministries Before G-20: Report
December 10 2013 5:29 AM
A California-based cybersecurity firm said hackers released malicious code on to computers before September’s G-20 summit in Russia.
- Will Pussy Riot, Greenpeace Activists Be Granted Amnesty?
December 10 2013 2:39 AM
Russian media says an amnesty bill initiated by Putin will free the jailed protesters, contradicting last week’s reports.
- China’s Retail Sales Beat Estimate
December 10 2013 1:32 AM
But the country's industrial production and urban investments missed forecasts.
- How Hagel Will Try To Diffuse Drone Issue In Pakistan
December 09 2013 7:27 AM
The trip follows disruptions in the transport of goods to NATO troops in Afghanistan through supply routes in Pakistan.
- German Industrial Output Slips Unexpectedly
December 09 2013 6:38 AM
Analysts had expected industrial production to gain momentum in October. Instead, it raises concerns about the state of the economy.
- Leaked TPP Documents Reveal US Pressure On Negotiators
December 09 2013 4:26 AM
The TPP treaty is at risk of failing if member nations do not allow for concessions on key national interest issues.
- Thai PM Yingluck Calls Parliamentary Elections
December 09 2013 1:03 AM
Opposition lawmakers resigned en masse on Sunday, ahead of Monday’s “final showdown” by anti-government protesters.
- Ailing Sears To Spin Off Lands’ End Business
December 07 2013 2:03 PM
The North America-based company continues to shed assets amid rising losses and declining sales.
- WTO Reaches Its First Ever Global Trade Deal
December 07 2013 12:05 PM
Bali summit would contribute nearly $1 trillion to the global economy and create more than 20 million jobs.
- Former Judge In India Goes Free In Sexual Assault Case
December 06 2013 7:15 AM
A committee instituted by the Supreme Court ruled no action would be taken as the judge had retired from service when the incident occurred.
- Graça Machel: Mandela’s Third Wife And A Leader In Her Own Right
December 06 2013 4:17 AM
Machel’s political ideologies were deeply influenced by her experience during her school years in Mozambique’s capital, Maputo.
- J.C. Penney Facing SEC Inquiry Into Finances
December 06 2013 1:09 AM
The Texas-based retailer has been trying to engineer a rebound by targeting younger and richer customers.
- Bank Of England Offers No Surprise
December 05 2013 7:35 AM
The U.K.’s central bank maintained the status quo on its key rate and policies amid a steady recovery and dropping inflation and unemployment.
- JPMorgan Warns Of Data Breach In Cyberattack
December 05 2013 6:42 AM
The New York bank said hackers may have gained access to personal information of nearly half a million of its corporate customers.
- Indian States Vie For Chinese Investments
December 05 2013 4:40 AM
Chinese firms are keen on investing in agro-processing, tourism and manufacturing, while India wants to ease the trade imbalance with China.
- Six Of Brazil’s World Cup Stadiums Will Miss FIFA's Deadline
December 05 2013 2:37 AM
Brazil attributed the delays to public protests, but stressed that all the stadiums would be ready to host test events early next year.