Articles by Amrutha Gayathri
- Al Qaeda Operative Al-Libi’s Capture In Libya ‘Legal:’ Kerry
October 07 2013 7:16 AM
The Libyan militant was indicted in the U.S. in 2000 over the 1998 bombings of U.S. embassies in Tanzania and Kenya.
- EU Second-Quarter GDP Growth Revised Down
October 07 2013 5:52 AM
The EU quarterly GDP growth was revised down to 0.3 percent from 0.4 percent, but the euro zone's growth was unchanged at 0.3 percent.
- Airbus Secures Landmark Japan Airlines Order
October 07 2013 4:48 AM
The deal is a blow to Boeing, which had enjoyed a near monopoly in Japan’s wide-body planes market for decades.
- Egypt Clashes Kill At Least 51 On 1973 War Anniversary
October 07 2013 2:19 AM
Violence erupted when security forces tried to stop Islamist supporters of ousted President Mohamed Morsi from holding protests on Sunday.
- Shutdown Sends The Wrong Message To The World, Kerry Says
October 05 2013 6:48 PM
When “we can’t get our own act together,” it sends a negative message to the world, says U.S. Secretary of State John Kerry.
- Iran’s Cyber Defense Program Chief Found Dead: Report
October 04 2013 7:27 AM
Mojtaba Ahmadi is the fifth casualty in a series of killings since 2007 of officials associated with the country’s defense programs.
- IMF Chief Raises US Debt Ceiling Alarm
October 04 2013 4:57 AM
The consequences of the U.S. government defaulting on payments could “very seriously damage” the world economy, Christine Lagarde warned.
- Pacific Free Trade Pact In Focus At Bali Meet Amid Deep Discord
October 04 2013 2:47 AM
A dozen nations, including the U.S., will try to iron out issues such as currency manipulation and protectionist measures at the APEC summit.
- Thurs. US Futures Point To Lower Open
October 03 2013 7:03 AM
Investor concern rose that a continued U.S. government shutdown would harm the economy.
- Euro Zone Service Sector, Retail Sales Pick Up Pace
October 03 2013 6:08 AM
Euro Zone PMI data showed a steady, Germany-led recovery, and retail sales also soundly beat growth expectations.
- ADB Slashes Asian Growth Forecast
October 03 2013 2:32 AM
A protracted slowdown in India and China, and QE nervousness are projected to slow developing Asia’s growth rate to 6 percent in 2013.
- Chinese Non-Manufacturing Sector Grows In September
October 02 2013 9:52 PM
The latest data showed service sector growth remained stronger compared to the manufacturing sector.
- Tue Futures Point To Higher Open
October 01 2013 6:49 AM
Markets seem unruffled by the government shutdown having factored a possibility of the event and now hope for an extension of the QE.
- Markets See QE Silver Lining In US Government Shutdown
October 01 2013 5:03 AM
Traders expect the Fed to continue its loose monetary policy to limit any adverse economic impact caused by the government shutdown.
- Government Shutdown Will Not Affect Worldwide US Military Operations
October 01 2013 1:27 AM
Active-duty military personnel will continue to report to work, and U.S. embassies and consulates around the world will remain functional.
- Turkey's Erdogan Announces Landmark Pro-Kurdish Reforms
September 30 2013 8:04 AM
Reforms include a proposal to lower the percentage of votes needed for a party to enter parliament, and an end to a ban on the hijab.
- Majority Of Data Requests Microsoft Received In 2013 Came From US, Europe
September 30 2013 6:35 AM
US law enforcement accounted for more than 90 percent of all requests pertaining to users' emails, photos and online documents.
- German Retail Sales Rebound, But Growth Below Expectations
September 30 2013 3:25 AM
German retail sales grew 0.5 percent in August on a monthly basis, after a decline of 0.2 percent in July.
- Boeing Dreamliner Woes Persist With Polish, Norwegian Airlines Glitches
September 30 2013 2:01 AM
The Norwegian carrier demanded that Boeing repair the plane, while Poland’s LOT wants compensation from Boeing for revenue losses.
- American Environmentalist Detained In Russia Over ‘Piracy’
September 28 2013 8:58 AM
Peter Willcox, who was the captain of the Greenpeace ship that was bombed by French forces in 1985, is among activists detained in Russia.