Articles by Amrutha Gayathri
- In India, Blast Near Agra’s Taj Mahal Kills Two
April 25 2013 6:11 AM
Two people were killed and another critically injured on Thursday in an explosion at a scrap yard in the tourist city of Agra.
- Venezuelan Opposition Leader Capriles Faces Government Probe
April 25 2013 5:14 AM
The Venezuelan parliament ordered an inquiry into post-election violence, even as opposition leader alleged of 'stolen' elections.
- UN Agency Detects Radiation Pointing At North Korea's Nuclear Test
April 24 2013 6:49 AM
A U.N. agency tasked with monitoring and investigating signs of nuclear explosions said on Tuesday that it has detected radioactive gases that could be linked to a test conducted by North Korea on Feb. 12.
- China To Build Second, Larger Aircraft Carrier: State Media
April 24 2013 5:56 AM
China will build a second, larger aircraft carrier capable of carrying more fighter jets, the official Xinhua news service reported on Tuesday, as part of Beijing’s efforts to build up military hardware.
- EU Lifts Myanmar Sanctions Despite Report Accusing Government Of Ethnic Cleansing
April 23 2013 9:00 AM
The EU decided on Monday to lift all sanctions on Myanmar, which is on a resurgent path, albeit marred by sectarian violence.
- India, China Hold Military Talks After New Delhi Alleges Chinese Incursion
April 23 2013 7:49 AM
A flag meeting on Tuesday between local military commanders of India and China is ongoing, after India accused China of deep incursion.
- Japanese Lawmakers Shrine Visit Fuel East Asia Tensions
April 23 2013 5:45 AM
Several Japanese lawmakers visited a controversial shrine, amid simmering territorial tensions.
- South Korean Minister Cancels Japan Visit Over Controversial War Shrine
April 22 2013 8:45 AM
South Korea’s foreign minister canceled a trip to Japan on Monday after Japanese cabinet ministers visited a controversial war-linked shrine.
- North Korea’s Missile Test Could Take Months, Says Seoul
April 22 2013 7:10 AM
North Korea could take months to carry out its expected missile launch, South Korea’s defense ministry said on Monday.
- Taliban Capture Foreigners Including Turks In Afghanistan
April 22 2013 4:08 AM
Taliban insurgents may have captured a helicopter carrying foreign nationals, most of them Turks, in eastern Afghanistan, officials said.
- Indian Media Reports Deep Chinese Incursion Into Indian Territory
April 20 2013 8:20 AM
Indian media reported on Saturday a “deep incursion” into the Indian territory in Jammu and Kashmir, by Chinese troops on April 15.
- North Korea Refuses To Abandon Nuclear Program
April 20 2013 7:00 AM
Rejecting a U.S. precondition for talks, North Korea said on Saturday that it would not give up its nuclear weapons program.