Articles by Amrutha Gayathri
- Venezuela Preps For Sunday Presidential Election
April 12 2013 4:42 AM
Acting President Nicolas Maduro has a commanding lead in opinion polls over opposition challenger Henrique Capriles.
- Malaysia To Hold Parliamentary Elections On May 5
April 10 2013 7:40 AM
Malaysia will hold general elections on May 5, the election commission announced on Wednesday.
- South Korea Raises Surveillance Alert Level As North Moves Missiles
April 10 2013 6:48 AM
South Korea said on Wednesday that North Korea is prepared to launch a mid-range ballistic missile from its east coast.
- Death Penalty On Decline, Despite Resumption In A Few Countries: Amnesty
April 10 2013 3:27 AM
In an annual report published on Wednesday, Amnesty International noted the global trend towards ending the death penalty continued.
- Pyongyang Warns Foreigners In South Korea To Evacuate
April 09 2013 7:21 AM
North Korea continued to step up its warlike rhetoric Tuesday, targeted against South Korea and the U.S.
- Syria Rejects Broadening Of UN's Chemical Weapons Probe
April 09 2013 6:43 AM
Syria accused the U.N. Tuesday of attempting to broaden a probe into an alleged chemical attack, official news agency SANA stated.
- Uhuru Kenyatta To Be Sworn In As Kenyan President
April 09 2013 3:46 AM
Kenya’s president-elect Uhuru Kenyatta is set to be sworn in Tuesday, leaving Western nations in an awkward scenario.
- Indonesia Upholds Death Sentence Against Briton Lindsay Sandiford
April 08 2013 8:23 AM
An Indonesian court Monday rejected the appeal of a 56-year-old British woman facing death penalty on charges of smuggling cocaine.
- Death Penalty For Pune Bus Driver Santosh Mane Accused Of Killing Nine
April 08 2013 7:05 AM
A bus driver in India, who went on a rampage killing nine people and injuring 37, in the city of Pune, was handed the death penalty Monday.
- Musharraf’s Candidature For Pak Polls Wins Approval, Court Issues Summons For Treason
April 08 2013 5:15 AM
Former Pakistani President Pervez Musharraf was granted approval Sunday to contest in the parliamentary elections to be held in May.
- France Proposes To Retain 1,000 Soldiers In Mali, Permanently
April 06 2013 7:35 AM
France reassured Mali Friday that French troops would not be withdrawn “overnight” and proposed to retain a permanent force.
- Islamists Rally In Bangladesh Demanding Tough Laws Against Bloggers Insulting Islam
April 06 2013 6:13 AM
Islamist groups in Bangladesh held a mass protest Saturday in Dhaka, demanding the government introduce an anti-blasphemy law.