Articles by Amrutha Gayathri
- China’s Housing Prices Rise For Ninth Month
October 21 2013 10:37 PM
The uptick in new housing prices across major cities continues despite the government’s efforts to cool the real estate market.
- Will Bangladeshi Garment Workers Get Their Due?
October 21 2013 7:57 AM
Workers demanding a pay hike might yet discover there is a significant difference between the cup and the lip.
- Egypt’s Coptic Christians: Still Targeted
October 21 2013 5:54 AM
Assailants fired indiscriminately as they drove by a church unguarded by police, killing four and injuring 17.
- BHP Billiton Hits Regulatory Roadblock In India
October 21 2013 3:34 AM
The Australian mining company had won rights to explore oil and natural gas fields in India, but failed to secure government clearance.
- Japan Industry Activity Lags Expectations
October 21 2013 1:39 AM
A host of official economic indicators from Japan suggest a slight slowdown in growth.
- Drone Attacks In Pakistan Killed 2,200 In Last 10 Years: UN
October 19 2013 2:44 PM
A U.N. report said such attacks set a dangerous precedent.
- Illinois Supreme Court Axes ‘Amazon Tax’
October 19 2013 11:22 AM
The ruling invalidates a state law that levied a sales tax on goods purchased from out-of-state Internet retailers.
- India Orders Search After Holy Man Dreams Of Ancient Gold Hoard
October 18 2013 7:12 AM
However, archaeologists warned that they are yet to find any proof of the treasure claimed to be worth $50 billion.
- Armed US Ship’s Crew Arrested In India
October 18 2013 5:32 AM
The ship’s operator said the vessel had entered the port of Tuticorin to refuel and to escape the effects of Typhoon Phailin.
- Will The US Congress Soften Its Stance On Iran?
October 18 2013 4:14 AM
President Obama's administration wants to gradually phase out sanctions on Iran, but convincing Congress will be the hard part.
- Chase Manhattan Plaza To Be Sold To Chinese Firm
October 18 2013 1:32 AM
JPMorgan Chase’s decision to sell the lower Manhattan property is emblematic of changing real estate trends.
- Indian Companies Most Transparent Among Opaque Lot: Report
October 17 2013 7:40 AM
Local laws, which require publication of key financial information, were the reason for the relative transparency at Indian companies.
- 30 Million People Worldwide Are Modern-Day Slaves: Report
October 17 2013 3:29 AM
India topped the list as home to half of the world's slave population while Mauritania ranked first in percentage terms.
- Federal Employees To Return To Work Thursday
October 17 2013 1:30 AM
Employees should check with their agencies and the OPM website for updates, the White House budget office said.
- Euro Zone Annual Inflation Slows, Trade Surplus Rises
October 16 2013 6:53 AM
A few days ago, the ECB's Mario Draghi identified base effect, food prices and the exchange rate as causes for driving down inflation.
- Iran’s Charm Offensive: Nuclear Deal Proposal Has Negotiators Hooked
October 16 2013 5:12 AM
For the first time, “very detailed technical discussions” were carried out on Tuesday in Geneva between Tehran and world powers.
- Glenn Greenwald Exits Guardian For New Venture
October 16 2013 1:49 AM
The journalist who broke stories about NSA surveillance is reportedly set to join a new media venture funded by eBay founder Pierre Omidyar.
- Tues US Futures Point To Higher Open
October 15 2013 6:34 AM
Investors seem cautiously optimistic that Congress will ink a deal to end the US government shutdown and raise the debt ceiling.
- German ZEW Sentiment At Its Highest In 3 Years
October 15 2013 6:09 AM
While German sentiment shot up, inflation in the UK inched up but not enough to convince analysts to mark the start of an upward trend.
- Ethnic Violence In Moscow Exposes Anger Against Illegal Immigrants
October 15 2013 4:23 AM
A mob, chanting “Russia for Russians,” violently protested the killing of a Russian by a man allegedly from the North Caucasus.