Articles by Amrutha Gayathri
- Government Shutdown Will Not Affect Worldwide US Military Operations
October 01 2013 1:27 AM
Active-duty military personnel will continue to report to work, and U.S. embassies and consulates around the world will remain functional.
- Turkey's Erdogan Announces Landmark Pro-Kurdish Reforms
September 30 2013 8:04 AM
Reforms include a proposal to lower the percentage of votes needed for a party to enter parliament, and an end to a ban on the hijab.
- Majority Of Data Requests Microsoft Received In 2013 Came From US, Europe
September 30 2013 6:35 AM
US law enforcement accounted for more than 90 percent of all requests pertaining to users' emails, photos and online documents.
- German Retail Sales Rebound, But Growth Below Expectations
September 30 2013 3:25 AM
German retail sales grew 0.5 percent in August on a monthly basis, after a decline of 0.2 percent in July.
- Boeing Dreamliner Woes Persist With Polish, Norwegian Airlines Glitches
September 30 2013 2:01 AM
The Norwegian carrier demanded that Boeing repair the plane, while Poland’s LOT wants compensation from Boeing for revenue losses.
- American Environmentalist Detained In Russia Over ‘Piracy’
September 28 2013 8:58 AM
Peter Willcox, who was the captain of the Greenpeace ship that was bombed by French forces in 1985, is among activists detained in Russia.
- Security Council Votes To Destroy Syrian Chemical Arms
September 28 2013 8:43 AM
The resolution marked an end to more than two years of deadlock in the Council over action against Syria.
- European Economic Sentiment Improves Sharply
September 27 2013 7:02 AM
The EU’s economic-sentiment indicator in September rose above its long-term average for the first time since July 2011.
- Officials In Quake-Hit Baluchistan Appeal To Local Insurgents
September 27 2013 4:58 AM
The appeal follows an attack aimed at a government aid official in a district that is home to a separatist insurgent leader.
- Landmark Talks Between US And Iran Suggest ‘Change Of Tone’
September 27 2013 2:19 AM
John Kerry met with Iran's foreign minister at the U.N. for an informal chat -- the highest-level meeting between the nations since 1980.
- Chinese Industrial Profits Jump In August
September 26 2013 10:44 PM
Profits jumped 24.2 percent in August on a yearly basis, after a 11.6 percent gain in July, suggesting strong growth momentum.
- NSA Spied On Martin Luther King Jr., Declassified Documents Show
September 26 2013 8:11 AM
King and other American public figures were targeted in the late 1960s and early 1970s when protests against the Vietnam War peaked.
- UK GDP Estimate Disappoints
September 26 2013 7:00 AM
Consumer spending, investment and trade fell short of estimates but a rebound in household income was the silver lining.
- Iran Wants Nuclear Deal In 3 To 6 Months: Rouhani
September 26 2013 6:04 AM
President Rouhani said he was authorized by Iran’s Supreme Leader to reach an agreement with the West over Tehran’s nuclear program.
- Did Iran's Hassan Rouhani Acknowledge The Holocaust?
September 26 2013 2:32 AM
President Hassan Rouhani's remarks, which came during a CNN interview, have been subject to various interpretations.
- Alibaba Considering US IPO: Report
September 25 2013 7:28 AM
The Chinese e-commerce giant is valued at $120 billion, compared to Facebook’s $100 billion valuation prior to its IPO in May 2012.
- NSA Extensively Spied On Indian Missions In US: Report
September 25 2013 5:39 AM
Indian diplomats expressed alarm over the extent of spying, which is suspected to have affected India’s stand on international issues.
- Kenyan President Declares Victory In Nairobi Mall Siege
September 25 2013 3:53 AM
But, the death toll could exceed the current estimate as operations are under way to retrieve bodies of the victims and militants.
- Chinese Takeover Of Smithfield Wins Shareholders’ Approval
September 25 2013 2:01 AM
The $4.7 billion sale of Smithfield, the world's largest pork producer, to China’s Shuanghui was approved by an overwhelming majority.
- Facebook, Twitter Ban To Be Lifted In Shanghai Free-Trade Zone
September 24 2013 7:35 AM
The move is seen as an effort to lure more foreign businesses to the latest addition to China’s bustling commercial hub.