Articles by Angelo Young
- How Northwestern Univ. Football's Union Vote Could Change College Sports
April 24 2014 5:16 PM
Eighty-five college football athletes could rattle the NCAA system by voting to unionize, but we probably won't know for months.
- Chinese Officials Back Workers In Nike Shoe Factory Strike
April 24 2014 1:34 PM
A union has called for a factory vote, and a government bureau has ordered Yue Yuen Industrial Holdings to provide past unpaid social insurance.
- One Year After Disaster, Not Much Has Changed In Bangladesh's Factories
April 24 2014 8:14 AM
Efforts by the nation's government and multinational corporations to ensure safety in the workplace have a decidedly mixed record.
- Want A Living Wage With That? Fast-Food Business Has Biggest Pay Gap
April 22 2014 10:33 PM
CEO compensation far outpaced average-worker pay in publicly listed hospitality and food services companies.
- Chinese Sneaker Workers Not Sprinting To End Strike
April 22 2014 2:58 PM
Supplier for branded shoes attempts to quell largest Chinese labor action in years as workers at second plant return to work.
- Recalls Aren't The Only Problem Hurting GM's Bottom Line
April 22 2014 8:51 AM
The Detroit automaker will see profits slammed by charges stemming from global recall, S. American currency troubles and Europe restructuring.
- How Mark Zuckerberg Became Lightning Rod In American Immigration Debate
April 21 2014 6:22 PM
The Republican opponent of the immigration reform proposal says the Facebook founder would benefit financially from immigration amnesty.
- McDonald’s Q1 Earnings Preview: Profits Forecast Down 2.7%
April 18 2014 3:50 PM
The world’s largest restaurant chain by sales is facing problems on numerous fronts.
- Argentina's Got A Huge Trade Surplus, Unless it Doesn't
April 18 2014 11:05 AM
Argentina's official 2013 trade surplus figures don't match customs, central bank data.
- Ronald McDonald Was Their Landlord
April 17 2014 11:45 AM
Five McDonald’s guest workers in Canada say they were compelled to live where their employer told them to live.
- Outsourcing Firms Dominate Guest Worker Visa Program
April 16 2014 12:25 PM
IT outsourcing firms with Indian ties are flooding the U.S. guest worker application system to obtain the greatest share of guest worker visas.
- These 50 US Cities Are Desperately Seeking Employees
April 16 2014 11:11 AM
One trend: via energy and spinoff jobs, the oil and gas boom is tightening local labor markets in Texas, Louisiana, Utah and North Dakota.
- McDonald’s Canada: A Guest Worker Program Under Scrutiny
April 14 2014 5:10 PM
Canadian franchise operators for the world's largest quick-service restaurant chain face accusations of preferring foreign temps over locals.
- Why Amazon Is Offering As Much As $5,000 To Workers Who Quit
April 14 2014 12:51 PM
Amazon bought Zappos in 2009, and four years after the acquisition the company has adopted one of its unconventional human resource strategies.
- US Companies Submitted 173,000 Requests For Skilled Guest Workers In FY2015
April 10 2014 6:12 PM
The country's immigration authority said Thursday it received almost 88,000 more visas than are available before closing the door for 2015.
- Murdered Labor Activists In Colombia Undermine Free Trade Promises
April 10 2014 12:36 PM
Colombia continues to be one of the most dangerous countries for union activism despite years of free trade.
- Why US Women Lose Fewer Jobs Than Men During Economic Downturns
April 08 2014 10:49 AM
Women now have a greater share of the U.S. jobs market than before the Great Recession, but for the wrong reason.
- March US Jobs Report: Ho-Hum, With A Side Of Optimism
April 04 2014 11:17 AM
There are still 3.7 million long-term unemployed, and youth rates remain in double digits.
- Here’s How Bad The Job Market Is For Younger Female Veterans
April 03 2014 1:13 PM
Looking for federal contracts? Then you have new affirmative action quotas to contend with regarding veterans and the disabled.
- Australia Cuts Funds To Fight Sweatshops
April 02 2014 2:40 PM
The center-right Abbot administration is cutting a program that has boosted ethical sourcing in the country’s garment industry.