Articles by Ashley Portero
- EXCLUSIVE: Big Biz Urges Senate To Include Gay Benefits In Immigration Reform
March 14 2013 7:00 PM
Losing employees forced to leave the U.S. when spouses are deported is bad for business, Fortune 500 firms say.
- Feinstein Snaps After Ted Cruz Lectures Her On Bill Of Rights
March 14 2013 4:19 PM
The California senator let her freshman colleague know she is well-versed in the Constitution.
- Senate Panel Advances Assault Weapons Ban, But Barely
March 14 2013 11:16 AM
However, the controversial measure will almost certainly stall in either the U.S. Senate or House.
- Half Of Detainees Were Supposed To Have Been Transferred
March 14 2013 10:25 AM
Prison officials say the hunger strike, which they claim has occurred before, is no big deal. But lawyers for the prisoners tell a different story.
- Here's Scott Prouty - Probably Not Mitt Romney's Favorite [VIDEO]
March 14 2013 10:16 AM
Prouty told MSNBC he wanted to remain anonymous so the focus of the story would be on "Mitt Romney's words, and only Mitt Romney's words."
- Do US Catholics Care About A New Pope?
March 13 2013 5:28 PM
The number of Americans who identify as "strongly" Catholic has been declining steadily. Could Pope Francis I change that?
- Ryan's Proposed Budget May Increase Middle-Class Tax Burden
March 13 2013 12:47 PM
How will Rep. Paul Ryan's proposed budget fill what the Center for American Progress claims is a $7 trillion shortfall?
- '47 Percent' Video - How A Bartender Influenced 2012 Campaign
March 13 2013 10:09 AM
The man who some say changed the course of the election wasn't inspired by Barack Obama. He was inspired by Bill Clinton.
- Ryan Dislikes Obamacare, Loves Its Revenue
March 12 2013 4:44 PM
The 2014 Ryan budget, which will almost certainly receive no traction outside of the House, guts $1.8 trillion from the Affordable Care Act.
- A Freudian Slip? Ryan Introduces New Budget, Pledges To Keep 'Destroying' Health Care
March 12 2013 4:23 PM
The GOP congressman had a memorable slip of the tongue while unveiling his 2014 budget plan.
- Paul Ryan's Budget Volley
March 12 2013 11:45 AM
Paul Ryan, the former GOP vice presidential candidate, has authored yet another budget, once again titled "The Path To Prosperity."
- Mississippi, Most Obese State In US, Passes Law Against Food Regulation
March 12 2013 11:32 AM
The law, awaiting signature by Governor Bryant, bans any attempt to regulate the food and beverage industry in order to combat obesity.
- Bradley Manning Audio Statement Leaked: Hear His Voice
March 12 2013 9:57 AM
The first full audio recording of Manning's court statement was leaked to the Freedom of the Press Foundation.
- Guns: More Dangerous Than Cars In Many States
March 12 2013 5:52 AM
In 14 states, guns kill more people than car accidents. In five of those states, gun suicides alone outnumber traffic fatalities.
- Proposed Iowa Social Studies Bill: Think About Government, Not Voting
March 11 2013 12:09 PM
The bill has earned the ire of a progressive group for supposedly promoting "the principles" of American citizenship.
- The Sequester And Your Life
March 11 2013 11:07 AM
More than half of U.S. voters said they believed the economy has weakened since the March 1 sequestration deadline.
- Rampage In Egypt Triggered By Court Verdict
March 09 2013 3:07 PM
A court ruling to dismiss charges against police, widely accused of brutality, sparked violent protests.
- George W Bush's Art Teacher Says '43' Has Talent
March 09 2013 1:38 PM
Before nudes, the former president was constantly painting portraits of dogs.
- Afghan Bombers Kill 18 During US Defense Secretary's Visit
March 09 2013 12:30 PM
Chuck Hagel was nowhere near the Kabul explosion, but the Taliban called it "a kind of message" for him.
- Is Washington Beyond Repair?
March 07 2013 12:16 PM
Fighting the partisan culture is key to restoring faith in the political process, says a commission associated with the Bipartisan Policy Center.