Articles by Ashley Portero
- Ted Cruz Demands Answers On Hypothetical Use Of Drone Strikes [VIDEO]
March 06 2013 1:35 PM
Freshman Republican senator Ted Cruz grilled Attorney General Eric Holder concerning how Americans could potentially be targeted by drones.
- Yes, Obama Can Probably Order Drone Strikes In US: Holder
March 06 2013 12:42 PM
Attorney General Eric Holder said Obama could order drone strikes in the U.S. under certain "extraordinary circumstances."
- For Some GOP Members, Sequester Means Banning President From Playing Golf
March 06 2013 10:58 AM
Several GOP members have criticized Obama's golf passion, accusing him of neglecting pressing national business.
- How Sequestration Hurts Women And Children
March 05 2013 1:30 PM
The sequester isn't affecting each gender equally, and the disparity increases when income is factored in.
- Republicans Want To Rein In Spending, But Not For Abstinence Education
March 04 2013 4:37 PM
Rep. Randy Hultgren has introduced a bill that would promote abstinence education for teens, at the cost of half a billion dollars
- No End In Sight
March 04 2013 10:29 AM
The latest from Capitol Hill: Sequestration continues but at least there's one bright spot, courtesy of Speaker Boehner.
- Can The US Emulate The UK In Addressing Child Poverty?
March 01 2013 9:05 PM
The U.S. has a staggering rate of child poverty. For ideas on what to do about it, a good place to look is Europe -- if there is the political will.
- Bradley Manning's First Public Statement About WikiLeaks Case
March 01 2013 3:32 PM
The WikiLeaks whistle-blower read a 35-page statement explaining his decision to release classified information to the anti-secrecy website.
- Progressive Dems To Obama: Preserve Social Safety Net Or Lose Our Support
March 01 2013 12:22 PM
A group of House Democrats warned that they will vote against any deal that includes cuts to Medicare, Medicaid and Social Security.
- Why You Should Be Disturbed By The Sequester's Food Safety Cuts
February 28 2013 5:08 PM
A cut to food safety inspections means there will be fewer opportunities to expose horrific animal abuse on some livestock farms.
- Bradley Manning, WikiLeaks Whistleblower, Pleads Guilty To 10 Charges
February 28 2013 12:46 PM
Manning revealed on Thursday that he originally tried to make the information available to the New York Times and the Washington Post.
- 9 Republicans Would Not Consider Even GOP-Sponsored Violence Against Women Act
February 28 2013 12:11 PM
The Violence Against Women Act has been reauthorized. But nine Republicans did not even want to consider the GOP-sponsored version of the bill.
- Is The Landmark 1965 US Voting Rights Act In Danger?
February 27 2013 3:56 PM
U.S. Supreme Court Justice Scalia reportedly suggested the heart of the civil rights law could promote "racial entitlement."
- Which Republicans Signed On To Support Gay Marriage?
February 27 2013 11:58 AM
Public support for same-sex marriage by some prominent conservatives could potentially affect the outcome of two Supreme Court cases this term.
- Republican Lawmaker Faces Tea Party Fury For Flying On Air Force One
February 27 2013 11:12 AM
Rep. Scott Rigell is under fire for appearing with President Barack Obama at an event before his own constituents.
- Feds Order Fung Wah Buses Off The Road
February 26 2013 1:08 PM
Federal transportation officials have ordered the discount carrier to suspend service, according to a report from The Boston Globe.
- Senate Panel Votes Yay For Jack Lew As Treasury Secretary
February 26 2013 12:32 PM
A full Senate vote is expected to occur this week.
- Judge Refuses To Dismiss Charges Against WikiLeaks Whistleblower
February 26 2013 12:08 PM
The young Wikileaks whistleblower is back in court this week, only days after spending his 1,000th day in jail without trial.
- One Year After Trayvon Martin - Have Florida's Gun Laws Changed?
February 26 2013 6:04 AM
The shooting death of Florida teenager Trayvon Martin last February restarted a national discussion about race relations and gun laws.
- Riskier Food, Hungry Kids: Administration Details Dire Effects Of Sequester
February 25 2013 1:15 PM
The quality of our food and ability to fly on an airplane without fear are at risk, among other things, under the automatic spending cuts.