- The New And Improved GOP? Cantor Makes Pitch For Compassionate Conservatism
February 05 2013 3:52 PM
House Majority Leader Eric Cantor emphasized that Republicans care about more than just deficit reduction.
- Obama Asks Congress To Put Aside 'Dysfunction' To Pass Sequester Delay
February 05 2013 2:16 PM
The president has asked Congress to pass a new package of spending cuts and tax reform initiatives if it is unable to pass a budget by March 1.
- Obama To Ask For Sequester Delay, Propose Short-Term Fix
February 05 2013 11:39 AM
President Barack Obama is expected to call for a small package of spending cuts and tax changes on Tuesday afternoon.
- Why Obama Can Order Drone Strikes Against Americans
February 05 2013 10:47 AM
Civil liberties groups have been demanding legal justification for the attacks since the 2011 killing of American-born cleric Anwar al-Awlaki.
- Obama In Minneapolis: Full Transcript of Gun Violence Speech
February 04 2013 5:09 PM
President Barack Obama traveled to Minneapolis, Minn., on Monday to build support for his administration's proposals to combat gun violence.
- Obama Sees 'Common-Sense' Consensus On Gun Violence Prevention
February 04 2013 4:48 PM
Obama's first stop outside of the Beltway in 2013? Minneapolis.
- NRA's 'Enemy List' Pretty Much Includes Everyone
February 04 2013 3:23 PM
The NRA keeps an extraordinary list of anti-gun opponents on its website.
- Even Fox News Thinks The NRA Is Being 'Ridiculous'
February 04 2013 10:55 AM
Fox's Chris Wallace challenged the NRA's claim that Obama is a hypocrite for allowing his daughters to have Secret Service protection.
- US Guilty Of Human-Rights Violations Last Year: Watchdog
February 01 2013 3:54 PM
America's overcrowded prisons, treatment of illegal immigrants, and use of targeted killing all qualify as human-rights abuses, HRW says.
- Parsing The New US Contraception-Coverage Policy
February 01 2013 12:19 PM
Only religion-affiliated institutions, such as Catholic hospitals or universities, will be exempt from the mandate.
- US Senate Passes 'No Budget, No Pay' To Extend Debt Ceiling
January 31 2013 4:43 PM
The Senate approved of the legislation in a 64 to 34 vote, which will prevent the U.S. from hitting its debt limit until May 19.
- Ohio Supreme Court Judge: Death Penalty 'Inherently Cruel and Unusual'
January 31 2013 2:01 PM
Could Ohio become the 18th state to oppose the death penalty?
- The FEC's New Rules For Political Contributions
January 31 2013 12:20 PM
Individual donors will be able to contribute a total $5,200 per candidate in the next election cycle. Here's a breakdown of the new rules.
- When The NRA Was For Universal Background Checks
January 30 2013 4:49 PM
Long, long ago -- in 1999 -- the NRA's Wayne LaPierre said it was "reasonable" to provide instant background checks at gun shows.
- NRA Chief To Senate: Background Checks A Waste Of Time
January 30 2013 12:41 PM
The NRA's LaPierre told the Senate panel that "law-abiding gun owners will not accept blame for the acts of violent or deranged criminals."
- Drug Offenses, Not Violent Crime, Filling Up Federal Prisons
January 30 2013 11:52 AM
The United States has seen an unprecedented increase in the federal prison population since 1980. The reason is not violent crime.
- Watch Gabrielle Giffords' Senate Testimony On Gun Violence
January 30 2013 11:08 AM
The former congresswoman, who was shot point blank in the head in 2011, urged the Senate to be bold and take legislative steps to reduce American gun violence.
- Obama May Voice Support For Binational Same-Sex Couples
January 29 2013 11:30 AM
In addition to encouraging Congress to adopt LGBT-inclusive language, Obama is expected to call for a realistic path to citizenship.
- First US Woman Since 2010 To Face Death Penalty, In Texas
January 29 2013 11:13 AM
Texas death row inmate Kimberly McCarthy will be the 13th U.S. woman to face capital punishment since 1976.
- 9/11 Defendants Want CIA 'Black Sites' Preserved, Made Public At Trial
January 28 2013 3:34 PM
Lawyers for accused Sept. 11 attack conspirator say information obtained from him under torture is unreliable and urged government to discuss detention facilities.