- Can US Estate Tax Avert The Fiscal Cliff? These Rich Progressives Think So
December 12 2012 7:40 AM
A group of the nation's wealthiest citizens is urging the U.S. Congress to raise the tax rate for this affluent segment.
- Senate Report On Torture May Say It Didn't Really Work
December 11 2012 10:33 AM
The report, which is three years in the making, investigates whether "enhanced interrogation techniques" helped intelligence officials gather important information that otherwise would have been lost.
- Texas GOP Realizes Birth Control Directly Correlates With Pregnancy Rate
December 10 2012 4:50 PM
The Texas Tribune reports lawmakers are rethinking their decision to defund family-planning services.
- O’Donnell To Gingrich: Apologize For Comments On Clinton Tax Increases
December 10 2012 2:30 PM
As the debate over raising tax rates on the wealthy comes full circle, O'Donnell asked the former house speaker to admit he was wrong for predicting the higher rates instituted under President Bill Clinton would destroy the economy.
- Bob Corker, One More Republican For Higher Taxes
December 10 2012 10:12 AM
Sen. Bob Corker is another Republican senator who advocates raising taxes on the wealthy to avoid the fiscal cliff.
- It's Mitch McConnell Vs. Campaign-Finance Reform, Again
December 07 2012 2:40 PM
There is broad popular support for the campaign-finance reform the U.S. Senate minority leader wants House Republicans to reject.
- America No Longer The Land Of 'Rags to Riches' Stories
December 05 2012 3:19 PM
Poor Americans, on average, are likely to stay poor, according to the Congressional Research Service.
- Democrats' New Favorite Republican: Oklahoma's Tom Cole
December 04 2012 4:12 PM
Americans For Tax Fairness is thanking the (very) conservative congressman for speaking out against the Republican leadership.
- Critics Say Boehner's Deficit Proposal Would Hurt Poor, Middle Class
December 04 2012 2:32 PM
Responding to Boehner's GOP fiscal cliff proposal, House Democrats will try to force a vote on ending the Bush-era tax rates for the wealthy.
- US Fossil Fuel Pollution: 19 Tons Per Person In 2011
December 04 2012 7:52 AM
Report: the world pumped an estimated 35.6 billion tons of carbon air pollution in 2012; China and the U.S. lead in pollution.
- Texas Faith Group Slams Governor On Health Care
December 03 2012 1:40 PM
Not for the first time, a faith-based organization has spoken out against some Republican governors' opposition to accepting the Medicaid expansion under Obamacare.
- Boehner Says Obama Has Wasted Time Since Election
December 02 2012 5:58 PM
Republican leaders say the fiscal cliff will not be averted if Democrats continue to propose unreasonable deficit-reduction plans.
- Geithner Says No Fiscal Cliff Deal Without Tax Increases On Wealthy
December 02 2012 1:09 PM
U.S. Treasury Secretary Tim Geithner said the nation cannot afford to extend the Bush tax cuts for the wealthiest Americans.
- Senate Passes Feinstein Amendment Barring Indefinite Detention
November 30 2012 10:12 AM
The U.S. Senate supported an amendment intended to prevent the indefinite detention of U.S. citizens.
- Obama Asked to Close 10 Worst Immigration Detention Centers
November 29 2012 2:11 PM
Three-hundred groups are asking President Obama to close a slew of immigration detention centers that have allegedly violated human rights.
- About-Face: Ohio Senate Won't Vote On Anti-Abortion Bills This Term
November 28 2012 12:48 PM
The Speaker of the Senate, a Republican, announced attempts to defund Planned Parenthood and institute the strictest abortion restrictions in the country would not be up for a vote this year.
- House Republican Cole: GOP Should Accept Obama Tax Deal
November 28 2012 11:14 AM
Rep. Tom Cole said the GOP should agree to extend the Bush tax cuts for only households earning below $250,000 to avoid the fiscal cliff.
- Former Florida GOP Leaders: Voter Laws Were Intended To Keep Democrats Away
November 26 2012 4:01 PM
Former Gov. Charlie Crist and Jim Greer, the former chairman of the state Republican Party, said there was never a real concern about in-person voter fraud in Florida.
- Americans Expect Congress To Act Like 'Spoiled Children' During Fiscal Talks
November 26 2012 11:19 AM
Two-thirds of Americans say Democrats and Republicans need to compromise to avoid the fiscal cliff, but they don't think they will: Poll
- Another Study Tells Us Contraception Leads To Fewer Abortions
November 23 2012 6:36 PM
Women may have been more adamant about using birth control during the Great Recession than they were previously, according to the U.S. CDC.