Articles by Ashley Portero
- Obama In Minneapolis: Full Transcript of Gun Violence Speech
February 04 2013 5:09 PM
President Barack Obama traveled to Minneapolis, Minn., on Monday to build support for his administration's proposals to combat gun violence.
- Obama Sees 'Common-Sense' Consensus On Gun Violence Prevention
February 04 2013 4:48 PM
Obama's first stop outside of the Beltway in 2013? Minneapolis.
- NRA's 'Enemy List' Pretty Much Includes Everyone
February 04 2013 3:23 PM
The NRA keeps an extraordinary list of anti-gun opponents on its website.
- Even Fox News Thinks The NRA Is Being 'Ridiculous'
February 04 2013 10:55 AM
Fox's Chris Wallace challenged the NRA's claim that Obama is a hypocrite for allowing his daughters to have Secret Service protection.
- US Guilty Of Human-Rights Violations Last Year: Watchdog
February 01 2013 3:54 PM
America's overcrowded prisons, treatment of illegal immigrants, and use of targeted killing all qualify as human-rights abuses, HRW says.
- Parsing The New US Contraception-Coverage Policy
February 01 2013 12:19 PM
Only religion-affiliated institutions, such as Catholic hospitals or universities, will be exempt from the mandate.
- US Senate Passes 'No Budget, No Pay' To Extend Debt Ceiling
January 31 2013 4:43 PM
The Senate approved of the legislation in a 64 to 34 vote, which will prevent the U.S. from hitting its debt limit until May 19.
- Ohio Supreme Court Judge: Death Penalty 'Inherently Cruel and Unusual'
January 31 2013 2:01 PM
Could Ohio become the 18th state to oppose the death penalty?
- The FEC's New Rules For Political Contributions
January 31 2013 12:20 PM
Individual donors will be able to contribute a total $5,200 per candidate in the next election cycle. Here's a breakdown of the new rules.
- When The NRA Was For Universal Background Checks
January 30 2013 4:49 PM
Long, long ago -- in 1999 -- the NRA's Wayne LaPierre said it was "reasonable" to provide instant background checks at gun shows.
- NRA Chief To Senate: Background Checks A Waste Of Time
January 30 2013 12:41 PM
The NRA's LaPierre told the Senate panel that "law-abiding gun owners will not accept blame for the acts of violent or deranged criminals."
- Drug Offenses, Not Violent Crime, Filling Up Federal Prisons
January 30 2013 11:52 AM
The United States has seen an unprecedented increase in the federal prison population since 1980. The reason is not violent crime.