- Global Car Companies Hunt Big Game In Africa's Growing Automotive Market
August 25 2012 2:07 PM
Global automakers from Renault SA (Paris: RNO) to Ford Motor Company (NYSE: F) to Chinese companies like Geely Automotive are all racing to get a piece of the long-term potential promised by Africa's burgeoning automotive market. The continent's economy is on the rise, and despite very real improvements in the quality of life and standards of living in many African countries, risks for multinational manufacturers remain.
- Money's Winners And Losers: NY Fed And AIG, Gawker Media, Eli Lilly, ZeekRewards, Best Buy, Fisker Automotive
August 24 2012 7:41 PM
Each week, we pick the biggest, most dramatic, or most interesting winners and losers in money and business. Our picks for Aug. 19-24 include the Federal Reserve Bank of New York and Eli Lilly & Co. on one side, and ZeekRewards and Best Buy Co. Inc. on the other side.
- Sudden Death Outside New York Stock Exchange [VIDEO]
August 24 2012 10:44 AM
A 70-year-old security worker for the exchange was hit by a truck while eating Chinese food outside and died on the sidewalk Thursday.
- Colombian Hunger Strikers Sew Mouths Shut To Protest Firing By General Motors
August 21 2012 5:20 PM
Thirteen former employees of General Motors' Colombian subsidiary are in the fourth week of a hunger strike outside of the U.S. Embassy in Bogota. They say GM fired them when they were injured on the job and has not provided medical care or pensions.
- Fisker On Death?s Door? Big Recall, Exec Shuffling, Money Woes For Electric Carmaker
August 21 2012 11:38 AM
Fisker Automotive Inc. is in a bad place right now, running out of money, recalling its hybrid-electric Karma luxury cars because they burst into flames and shuffling around executives faster than a losing team substitutes pitchers; it's hard to find a bright patch for the company that isn't on fire.
- 'Tailgating For Billionaires' A The Pebble Beach Concours d'Elegance And Monterey Car Week
August 21 2012 5:53 AM
This past weekend's Pebble Beach Concours d'Elegance and the Monterey Car Week brought out the world's top classic car collectors like Jay Leno, auction houses like RM Auctions and Gooding & Co. and luxury brands from Rolls-Royce to Ferrari to Lamborghini for a week of cars, money and society along California's Pacific coastline.
- Rolls-Royce Doubles Down at Pebble Beach With Phantom Coupe Aviator, 2013 Ghost
August 20 2012 2:34 PM
Rolls-Royce doubled down and unveiled both its Phantom Coupe Aviator and 2013 Ghost at the Pebble Beach Concours d'Elegance and Quail car show.
- A Motorized Unicycle? The RYNO Motors Microcycle May Be Future Of Urban Transit [HOLD, see question]
August 17 2012 7:11 AM
In a world where personal and urban mobility is dominated by the bland dorkiness of the Segway, a 13 year old girl and her inventor father are hoping the RYNO Motors microcycle, a motorized unicycle, will revolutionize how mall cops, Arab sheiks and Hollywood's flush rising stars travel.
- 5 Cars Julian Assange Could Use to Ditch Ecuador's UK Embassy, If They Were Real
August 16 2012 10:40 AM
There are five fictional cars that would aid Julian Assange's escape from the Ecuadorian embassy if they were real. Assange is hoping to gain asylum in Ecuador to avoid extradition by the U.K. to Sweden on allegations of sex-crimes.
- Fate Of Canadian Auto Manufacturing Hangs On CAW-Detroit Negotiations
August 16 2012 6:21 AM
The Canadian Auto Workers and the Detroit Three, General Motors Company (NYSE: GM), Ford Motor Company (NYSE: F) and Chrysler Group LLC, began preliminary contract negotiations on Tuesday, and the fate of Canadian auto manufacturing may hang on the talks.
- Political Ad Spending for Presidential Election To Reach $2.9B
August 15 2012 1:51 PM
Spending on advertising by Republican and Democratic presidential campaigns and Pro-Romney or Pro-Obama Super PACs is expected to reach $2.9 billion, even as national TV ad spending shrinks in the face of the looming "fiscal cliff."
- Kia Roars Into Motorsports With Forte Koup, Optima And Unexpected Success
August 15 2012 6:22 AM
The South Korean car manufacturer Kia has become an unexpected success with its Forte Koup and Optima cars on the Grand Am and Pirelli World Challenge racing circuits.
- Auto Bailout To Cost Extra $3.4B
August 14 2012 11:04 AM
The cost of the 2009 bailout of the U.S. automotive industry by the federal government will cost the country $3.4 billion more than was previously estimated, reports said Tuesday.
- 3 Reasons The 3-Martini Lunch Could Fix the Economy, Improve Your Work and Open New Horizons
August 14 2012 9:30 AM
The three-martini lunch has gone out of vogue in the last fifty years, but maybe, just maybe, it's time to return to the time-honored, vermouth and gin soaked tradition of the 1940s, 50s and 60s.
- US Manufacturing Jobs Will Grow As Japan's Carmakers Move Capacity To North America
August 14 2012 6:20 AM
Amid constant political caterwauling about the demise of American manufacturing, Japanese automakers like Toyota Motor Corporation (NYSE: TM), Honda Motor Co. (NYSE: HMC) and Nissan Motor Co. (Tokyo: 7201) are gradually bringing manufacturing jobs to North America by building new factories and adding extra shifts to meet resurgent demand in the U.S. automotive market.
- Obama’s Going To Make It Rain (Money) To Stave Off Drought And Food Shortages
August 11 2012 4:39 PM
U.S. President Barack Obama is going to make it rain money to ensure the nation's livestock get enough water and to fight rising food prices during one of the country's worst droughts in half a century.
- US And Turkey Considering No-Fly Zone Over Syria
August 11 2012 3:18 PM
Turkey and the United States are launching a new working group to draft stronger measures, including a possible no-fly zone, in response to the deteriorating situation in Syria.
- Paul Ryan Noodles Catfish And Five Other Weird Facts About Mitt Romney’s VP
August 11 2012 1:50 PM
Rep. Ryan has some unusual, controversial and even downright weird hobbies and personal history to contend with. Here are six weird facts to know about Paul Ryan, Mitt Romney's vice presidential running mate.
- Five Paul Ryan Positions Americans May Love
August 11 2012 12:31 PM
Republican presidential hopeful Mitt Romney selected Rep. Paul Ryan of Wisconsin as his vice presidential running mate Saturday, and while the fresh-faced number-two man can be a divisive figure, he has some positions that conservative Americans, as well as some moderates and liberals, may love.
- Five Paul Ryan Positions Americans May Hate
August 11 2012 11:08 AM
By picking Rep. Paul Ryan of Wisconsin as his running mate Saturday, Mitt Romney signaled that he was trying to put a fresh face on his campaign for his core demographic of conservative voters. But Ryan comes with some positions that many moderate or liberal voters may hate, and even some conservatives too.