Articles by Charles Poladian
- How Perseid Meteor Shower's 'Celestial Pollution' Proves Beneficial For Astronomers
August 09 2013 12:25 PM
The Perseid meteor shower's "celestial pollution" will help astronomers produce extremely clear images of the universe.
- NASA Wants To Learn How To Mine Asteroids
August 09 2013 10:11 AM
NASA wants to learn how to mine asteroids, which could hold millions of dollars of metals, and will launch the OSIRIS-REx mission in 2016 to gain the experience needed to make space mining a reality.
- An Ice-Free Arctic Could Come As Soon As 2054
August 08 2013 4:04 PM
Greenhouse gas emissions could lead to an ice-free Arctic as early as 2054 according to a new study.
- Mystery Of The Origin Of Magellanic Stream Solved By Astronomers
August 08 2013 1:39 PM
The Hubble Space Telescope has once again helped astronomers solve a mystery, this time involving the origin of the Magellanic Stream, a ribbon of gas that stretches across the Milky Way.
- Telepathy Role In Suicides, Or Lost In Translation?
August 08 2013 12:14 PM
A "telepathic attack" reported as possibly playing a role in the deaths of four engineers in Turkey may be a matter of a mistranslation.
- Astronomers Observe Quasar From Six Different Light Reflections
August 07 2013 3:45 PM
Astronomers were able to observe a six different images of the same quasar, a feat never before achieved by astronomers.
- Taco Bell's Waffle Taco Expands Testing To 100 Locations
August 07 2013 11:26 AM
Taco Bell will expand its testing of the waffle taco to 100 locations after a successful trial in five Southern California locations.
- Neighboring Gas Clouds Are Quite The 'Odd Couple'
August 07 2013 9:52 AM
Two bright-colored gas clouds, NGC 2020 and NGC 2014, located in the Large Magellanic Cloud are vastly different in appearance.
- New Photos Of The Sun Reveal More Features Of Sunspots And Solar Magnetism
August 06 2013 5:15 PM
New Jersey Institute of Technology's Big Bear Solar Observatory has captured images of the sun that reveal new features of sunspots and solar magnetism.
- The Perseids Is The Best Meteor Shower Of The Year
August 06 2013 1:48 PM
The Perseid meteor shower will be the viewing event of the summer and its peak is just around the corner. The Perseids has a rich history of observation and has become an annual event for stargazers.
- Car Hacking Paper Shows How To Hack A Ford Escape And Toyota Prius
August 06 2013 12:22 PM
DARPA-funded researchers released a car hacking white paper that details ways to take over a Ford Escape or Toyota Prius' steering, acceleration, braking and display.
- Sun's Magnetic Field Reversing By The End Of 2013
August 06 2013 10:17 AM
The sun's magnetic field will flip by the end of 2013 and researchers believe it will mark the peak of Solar Max, a period of increased sunspot activity, of Solar Cycle 24.
- Thick Sheet Of Ice Covering Mars Could Explain Mysterious Craters
August 05 2013 4:25 PM
Based on recent research indicating a period of Mars’ history when ice was present, an object crashing into a layer of ice would have produced results similar to a DLE crater.
- Shark Week Starts With Fake Megalodon Documentary
August 05 2013 3:20 PM
"Megalodon: The Monster Shark Lives" is a fake documentary that kicked off the Discovery Channel's Shark Week and viewers were disappointed about the fictional
- 'The Simpsons' Lego Set Proves Controversial
August 05 2013 1:04 PM
Lego announced "The Simpsons" themed set that will be available in 2014 and even after 22 years on television, the show continues to be controversial.
- 'New Riversleigh' Fossil Site Discovered In Australia
August 05 2013 11:51 AM
A new fossil site, named New Riversleigh, could lead to insights to a period of climate change in Australia that transformed rainforests into deserts.
- Giant Magellan Telescope Takes Another Step Toward Completion
August 05 2013 10:20 AM
The Giant Magellan Telescope, with seven mirrors each weighing close to 20 tons, will be used by astronomers to answer some of the most fascinating mysteries of the universe.
- ‘Doctor Who’ Live Special Will Reveal New Doctor
August 02 2013 4:28 PM
BBC announced the “Doctor Who Live: The Next Doctor” special to reveal the 12th Doctor to the world will be shown on BBC One Sunday.
- Astronomers Discover Comet Graveyard
August 02 2013 3:23 PM
The discovery of a comet graveyard in the asteroid belt between Mars and Jupiter contains "Lazarus comets" that come back to life with a little help from Jupiter.
- Brighest Cluster Galaxy Devours Other Galaxies But Mysteriously Stops Over Time
August 02 2013 1:13 PM
The brightest cluster galaxy in a galaxy cluster devours other galaxies to increase in size but over time these galaxies stop and researchers are not sure why this happen.