Articles by Charles Poladian
- Asteroid Apophis Is The Latest ‘Doomsday Asteroid’
October 20 2013 1:39 PM
NASA quickly ruled out the possibility of asteroid 2013 TV135 hitting Earth, but there is some concern over another "doomsday asteroid," asteroid Apophis.
- Agrochemicals Linked To Higher Cancer, Birth Defect Rates In Some Argentine Provinces
October 20 2013 12:11 PM
An Associated Press report links agrochemical use with increased health problems in Argentine provinces using pesticides on genetically modified crops.
- Giant 14-Foot Oarfish Washes Ashore In California
October 19 2013 5:45 PM
Another deep-sea creature washes ashore in California, attracting the attention of both scientists and curiosity-seekers.
- A Good Night’s Sleep Lets The Brain Clean Out Waste Linked To Alzheimer’s Disease
October 19 2013 4:49 PM
The brain's waste removal system is more active when we are asleep.
- Titanic Violin Sold At Auction For $1.45 Million
October 19 2013 2:07 PM
The Titanic violin, belonging to bandmaster Wallace Hartley, was sold at auction for $1.45 million.
- How Do Supermassive Black Holes Grow?
October 19 2013 11:45 AM
Supermassive black hole growth is something of a mystery and researchers hope gravitational waves can provide new insight on this phenomenon.
- Penumbral Lunar Eclipse Live Stream
October 18 2013 11:08 AM
The lunar eclipse live stream begins on Oct. 18 at 5:45 p.m. EDT, 2:45 p.m. PDT.
- Hubble Catches A Glimpse Of A Rare Young Star Forming Galaxy In The Early Universe
October 17 2013 12:13 PM
Through gravitational lensing, Hubble was able to observe a young star-forming galaxy in the early universe.
- Largest Star Ever Discovered, W26, Is On Its Deathbed
October 16 2013 4:07 PM
Researchers have observed the largest star ever discovered, W26, in its "death throes."
- Petting Your Cat Is Purr-fectly OK: Study
October 16 2013 2:47 PM
Authors of a new study on cat stress had to issue a clarification after news outlets misinterpreted the study's findings
- Understanding The Role Of Jets From Supermassive Black Holes
October 16 2013 12:43 PM
Jets of material ejected from supermassive black holes can shape galaxies and affect star formation activity.
- Climate Change Could Lead to Major Chemical Changes In Oceans By 2100
October 16 2013 10:22 AM
Climate change could lead to a whole host of changes in marine ecosystems around the world, ultimately affecting humans by 2100.
- Researchers Discover 85 New Species Of Clown Beetles
October 15 2013 3:58 PM
The discovery nearly triples the number of species belonging to the genus of beetles native to North and South America that are known for their “jewel-like” appearance.
- European Space Agency Shows Off 3D Printed Metal Parts That Can Be Used In Space
October 15 2013 2:01 PM
The European Space Agency is working to 3D print with metal, one day manufacturing a satellite in one piece, a move that would save money and resources.
- castAR Projected Augmented Reality System Launches A Kickstarter
October 15 2013 11:17 AM
castAR is attempting to bring a projected augmented reality system to life and its Kickstarter is already close to reaching the set goal in just one day.
- Researchers Develop A ‘Blueprint’ To Add Sensory Feedback To Prosthetics
October 15 2013 9:18 AM
Researchers from the University of Chicago have developed a way to artificially create the sense of touch in prostheses.
- What Are BPA And Phthalates?
October 14 2013 3:53 PM
New studies have found potential links to BPA and phthalates and reproductive risks in men and women but the debate over the safety of these chemicals continues.
- China Celebrates A Decade Of Manned Spaceflight
October 14 2013 12:41 PM
China is looking ahead to the future of its space program as it celebrates 10 years of manned spaceflight.
- Exercise Improves Brain Health: New Research
October 14 2013 9:20 AM
Researchers isolated a protein that was increased during endurance exercise, which could lead to new Alzheimer's and Parkinson's treatments.
- Porsche Driving To Expand Into Africa By 2020
October 13 2013 5:16 PM
Porsche wants to expand in a big way, setting its sights on Africa with the goal of selling more than 200,000 vehicles globally by 2020.