Articles by Christopher Harress
- Philippine Typhoon Damage May Reach $14 Billion
November 11 2013 8:34 AM
President Aquino III has said that the government will use 23 billion pesos ($533 million) to help immediate salvage and rebuilding operations.
- Why Did Twitter's IPO Do So Well?
November 09 2013 4:41 PM
Eighteen months after the Facebook IPO calamity, Twitter steps up and shows them how it's done.
- Iran Sanctions Not To Be Lifted Anytime Soon
November 09 2013 4:08 PM
After years of sanctions Iran is getting closer to having them lifted, all while trying to trade oil for produce with China.
- Kazakhstan Has Received Billions In Development Funds
November 08 2013 8:56 AM
Since 1993 Kazakhstan has received nearly $7 billion in development funds from the EBRD despite not being part of the continent.
- Who Is Max Keiser?
November 06 2013 12:36 PM
After the outspoken financial commentator talked about Bitcoin on a BBC news show, the price of the digital currency went sky-high.
- Is Money The Key To Happiness? Report Says It Helps
November 06 2013 6:14 AM
As the effects of the 2008 global financial crisis fade, an OECD report charts happiness levels from the period.
- Barclays Injunction Means Good News For Somalia
November 05 2013 5:18 PM
A humanitarian disaster is avoided after a court tells Barclays it must continue to transfer money to Somalia despite terrorism fears.
- European Banks On Debt-Reduction Diet
November 05 2013 10:51 AM
After five years of misery, European banks are getting back in shape by shedding trillions in assets.
- Where Does Somali-Pirate Ransom Money Go?
November 04 2013 3:58 PM
The roughly $400 million in ransom taken in from 2005 to 2012 helped fuel the local economy -- and more terrorism.
- SAC To Plead Guilty In Criminal Case On Monday
November 04 2013 8:19 AM
Steve Cohen has continued to avoid formal criminal charges as civil and criminal trials near conclusion.
- Tarp Chief Catching Criminal Bankers
November 01 2013 9:12 PM
Five years after the financial crisis, the head of TARP is doing her best to put bankers in jail.
- US Justice Dept: 8 Investigations Pending vs. JPMorgan
November 01 2013 1:59 PM
After agreeing to deals involving fines of $18.1 billion in recent weeks, JPMorgan is now facing criminal investigations from the DOJ.
- Barclays Suspends Currency Traders After Probe
November 01 2013 10:27 AM
British regulators are investigating Barclays, among other banks, on suspicion of tampering with global currency markets.
- Syria Taking A Backdoor Route Into Financial Market
October 31 2013 2:20 PM
To get around sanctions and gain access to global markets, Syria is cultivating relationships with small-time Russian banks.
- High Levels Of US Student Debt Hurting Home Sales
October 31 2013 9:15 AM
Student debt, now more than $1 trillion combined, affects graduates' credit scores and ability to buy a home.
- Bank Lending Still Half From Before Financial Crisis
October 30 2013 8:50 AM
Five years after the financial crisis banks are still not lending at the same levels they once did.
- Libya Struggles As Armed Gangs Roam The Country
October 29 2013 10:54 AM
Libyan armed robbers make off with $55 million in cash as post-Gaddafi Libya struggles with armed gangs.
- Morgan Stanley Eyes Larger Share Buyback: Report
October 29 2013 8:42 AM
America's second-largest investment bank wants permission to expand its current $500 million share buyback plan, which expires in March 2014.
- Japanese Bank Loaned Money To Criminal Gangs
October 28 2013 2:21 PM
A Japanese bank has been cleared of covering up $2 million in loans to Yakuza members.
- Super Whistle Blower Helping Beat Tax Dodgers
October 28 2013 10:57 AM
Five years ago the financial world was collapsing, but in one Geneva branch of HSBC, a banker was plotting a way to find Europe's tax cheats.