Articles by Christopher Harress
- India Looks To Turn Around Economy With New Reserve Bank Appointment
August 06 2013 2:52 PM
With the rupee performing at its lowest in years and GDP at a nine-year low, India has appointed a former IMF chief economist to its Reserve Bank.
- European Banks' Risk Provisions Suggest Legal Problems Ahead
August 06 2013 9:23 AM
All of Europe's big banks have set aside large provisions to deal with ongoing legal issues and fines.
- Crédit Agricole Profits From Decision To Leave Greece And Italy
August 06 2013 8:21 AM
Large French bank Crédit Agricole SA beat market predictions and posted encouraging results.
- Bomb Threats, Rape and Violence Spawns TwitterNoise Campaign
August 05 2013 2:11 PM
Women who refuse to be silenced join TwitterNoise campaign aimed at addressing threats of rape and violence on Twitter.
- HSBC's First-Half Profit Up 23%
August 05 2013 1:16 PM
London-based HSBC has posted impressive profits, after three years of cuts.
- Inside Banking In Conflict Zones Around The World
August 02 2013 11:08 PM
When trouble arrives, banks often depart, and access to cash becomes difficult. This is the story of how people bank in conflict zones.
- How Edward Snowden May Have Saved American Kids From Broccoli
August 02 2013 1:03 PM
Edward Snowden may have saved U.S children from broccoli as the cost of importing the vegetable has gone up after Ecuador and U.S fallout.
- JPMorgan Ends 'Whale' Dispute, Pays Huge Fine
July 30 2013 12:51 PM
The Federal Energy Regulatory Commission has ended a dispute with JPMorgan after the bank agreed to pay a fine and return profits.
- Local US Governments Hiring Again
July 30 2013 10:24 AM
Many U.S. cities are reversing four years of underemployment on higher tax revenue and a recovering national economy.
- S&P 500 Points To Resurgence Of Financial Sector
July 30 2013 5:55 AM
Big second-quarter profits for banks ensure renewed dominance for the financial sector among S&P 500 components.
- Gold Price Climbing, But Some Investors Are Wary
July 29 2013 11:41 AM
Goldman Sachs is one of the groups casting aspersions on the durability of gold's recent price gains.
- Samsung Bites Into Apple's Market Share
July 26 2013 12:43 PM
Samsung's second-quarter results surge it to the top-earning and top-selling cell phone maker.
- France's Straus-Kahn Embroiled In New Sex Scandal
July 26 2013 10:42 AM
Former French presidential aspirant Dominique Struass-Kahn will face trial on pimping charges.
- Feds' Probe Turns Another Former SAC Insider
July 26 2013 9:49 AM
Richard Lee, 34, has emerged as an unlikely insider for the government's insider trading investigation.
- Real US Unemployment Rate Is Double What Government Says It Is
July 26 2013 6:11 AM
While the government is telling us that the unemployment rate is steadily coming down, the truth is it's still out of control.
- US Brings Charges Against Eastern European Hackers
July 25 2013 12:27 PM
Russian and Ukrainian hackers stole personal data In seven-year-long hacking binge that cost consumers $300 million.
- Cohen Dodges Federal Charges, But SAC Hit Hard
July 25 2013 11:29 AM
SAC, with assets of about $15 billion, has been subjected to years of federal probes into suspected securities fraud dating back to 2006.
- Payday Loan Companies Face Stiff Competition From Church Of England
July 25 2013 10:27 AM
The Church of England's initiative against payday lenders marks the first political initiative of the new archbishop of Canterbury.
- UK Government Mortgage Plan Endorsed By Lloyds TSB
July 24 2013 2:02 PM
The UK coalition government has issued details of its Help-to-buy mortgage plan to help millions get a foot on the property ladder.
- Fed's Janet Yellen Ideal For Top Post: Sheila Bair
July 24 2013 9:22 AM
Bair, former FDIC chairwoman, has endorsed vice chair Janet Yellen to replace Ben Bernanke in the Fed's top post.