Articles by Christopher Harress
- Is Money The Key To Happiness? Report Says It Helps
November 06 2013 6:14 AM
As the effects of the 2008 global financial crisis fade, an OECD report charts happiness levels from the period.
- Barclays Injunction Means Good News For Somalia
November 05 2013 5:18 PM
A humanitarian disaster is avoided after a court tells Barclays it must continue to transfer money to Somalia despite terrorism fears.
- European Banks On Debt-Reduction Diet
November 05 2013 10:51 AM
After five years of misery, European banks are getting back in shape by shedding trillions in assets.
- Where Does Somali-Pirate Ransom Money Go?
November 04 2013 3:58 PM
The roughly $400 million in ransom taken in from 2005 to 2012 helped fuel the local economy -- and more terrorism.
- SAC To Plead Guilty In Criminal Case On Monday
November 04 2013 8:19 AM
Steve Cohen has continued to avoid formal criminal charges as civil and criminal trials near conclusion.
- Tarp Chief Catching Criminal Bankers
November 01 2013 9:12 PM
Five years after the financial crisis, the head of TARP is doing her best to put bankers in jail.
- US Justice Dept: 8 Investigations Pending vs. JPMorgan
November 01 2013 1:59 PM
After agreeing to deals involving fines of $18.1 billion in recent weeks, JPMorgan is now facing criminal investigations from the DOJ.
- Barclays Suspends Currency Traders After Probe
November 01 2013 10:27 AM
British regulators are investigating Barclays, among other banks, on suspicion of tampering with global currency markets.
- Syria Taking A Backdoor Route Into Financial Market
October 31 2013 2:20 PM
To get around sanctions and gain access to global markets, Syria is cultivating relationships with small-time Russian banks.
- High Levels Of US Student Debt Hurting Home Sales
October 31 2013 9:15 AM
Student debt, now more than $1 trillion combined, affects graduates' credit scores and ability to buy a home.
- Bank Lending Still Half From Before Financial Crisis
October 30 2013 8:50 AM
Five years after the financial crisis banks are still not lending at the same levels they once did.
- Libya Struggles As Armed Gangs Roam The Country
October 29 2013 10:54 AM
Libyan armed robbers make off with $55 million in cash as post-Gaddafi Libya struggles with armed gangs.
- Morgan Stanley Eyes Larger Share Buyback: Report
October 29 2013 8:42 AM
America's second-largest investment bank wants permission to expand its current $500 million share buyback plan, which expires in March 2014.
- Japanese Bank Loaned Money To Criminal Gangs
October 28 2013 2:21 PM
A Japanese bank has been cleared of covering up $2 million in loans to Yakuza members.
- Super Whistle Blower Helping Beat Tax Dodgers
October 28 2013 10:57 AM
Five years ago the financial world was collapsing, but in one Geneva branch of HSBC, a banker was plotting a way to find Europe's tax cheats.
- Everything You Need To Know About JPMorgan's $13 Billion Payment
October 26 2013 3:55 PM
Everything you need to know about the biggest financial settlement in history: JPMorgan's $13 billion check to the U.S. government.
- Wall Street: $100 Billion In Fines, And Climbing
October 25 2013 9:29 AM
JPMorgan might be the poster child for bad bank behavior, but another big financial firm has paid out way more in fines.
- JPMorgan Linked To Madoff's $65B Ponzi Scheme
October 24 2013 2:51 PM
More than three years after Bernie Madoff went to jail, investigators mull a criminal case against JPMorgan.
- Obamacare Non-Enrollment Penalties To Be Delayed
October 24 2013 8:48 AM
The Obama administration has extended the deadline to the end of March, but consumers need to sign up by mid-February to be insured by March 31.
- Spain Escapes Two Years Of Recession
October 23 2013 4:12 PM
Does Spain's emergence from recession mean its austerity gets the credit? Or did austerity delay the recovery?