- News Corp. Board Of Directors' Separation Vote - Split Decision
May 24 2013 11:17 AM
The BOD has officially approved Murdoch’s proposal to split the conglomerate into 2 companies: meet 21st Century Fox and the “new” News Corp.
- Banned From Beyoncé Concerts, Photographers Say PR Machine Is Missing The Big Picture
May 23 2013 4:44 PM
On behalf of 18 news organizations, the National Press Photographers Association sent a letter to Beyoncé’s publicist asking that a ban on photojournalists be immediately lifted.
- Why I Broke Up With Amazon: A Book Publisher Confesses
May 22 2013 5:56 PM
Barefoot Books, an independent children’s book publisher based in Cambridge, Mass., announced Monday that it is severing ties with the online retail behemoth Amazon.com Inc. (Nasdaq:AMZN) in North America and the U.K.
Gawker’s “Rob Ford Crackstarter” campaign is a great idea in the way that sporks or reality TV were great ideas. That is, it’s great that someone was creative enough to think of it, but in the long run, we’d all be better off if it failed.
Not only does the campaign attempt to dress up old-fashioned checkbook journalism as some noble equalizer of valuable information, but it also drags the good-will principles of crowd-funding even deeper into the mud than they already are -- and just when websites like Kickstarter and Indiegogo looked as if they might recover from the Great Zach Braff Scandal of four weeks ago.
- Rolling Stoned: Gus Wenner Ridiculed For Nepotism, But Is It Deserved?
May 21 2013 5:02 PM
Gus Wenner, the 22-year-old son of Rolling Stone founder Jann Wenner, will take over operations for the magazine’s website.
- Aspartame In Milk? Last Chance To Stop Big Dairy’s Sneaky Petition
May 21 2013 8:06 AM
The dairy industry is petitioning the FDA to allow it to add aspartame to milk without saying so on the label. Public commenting ends Tuesday night.
- What Would Jesus Read? Atheists Fight Bibles With Hitchens In Georgia Book Battle
May 21 2013 7:39 AM
Georgia Gov. Nathan Deal said it was okay for state parks to display Gideon Bibles, so American Atheists fought back with secular texts by Christopher Hitchens, Richard Dawkins and others.
- Fox News, Targeted By Obama’s DOJ, Finds Allies In Liberal Media
May 20 2013 1:04 PM
The Department of Justice investigated Fox News’ chief Washington correspondent, James Rosen, according to the Washington Post.
- Media Layoffs: AOL’s Patch, Village Voice Hit Hard
May 17 2013 5:52 PM
Michael Musto, Michael Feingold and Robert Sietsema are the latest staffers to depart the embattled Village Voice in New York.
- Arne Svenson’s Voyeuristic Photos: Are They Legal?
May 17 2013 2:10 PM
For his new photography exhibit, Arne Svenson secretly took photos of his neighbors. Some of them reportedly want to sue, but do they have a case?
- Punk Bands: Would You Pay $45 To Be In A Mag You’ve Never Heard Of?
May 16 2013 5:27 PM
Warped Magazine, a music publication soliciting punk bands on Craigslist, charges a $45 “editing fee,” musicians on Facebook and Reddit say.
- Zach Braff Kick-Starts Crowd-Funding Conversation
May 16 2013 2:12 PM
Zach Braff took to his Kickstarter page on Wednesday to explain that a gap-funding deal with Worldview Entertainment doesn't violate his promise to backers of “Wish I Was Here.”