Articles by Christopher Zara
- Amazon Takes All: Survival Of The Biggest
December 20 2013 10:20 AM
Jeff Bezos is fond of saying we’re still in “Day One” for the Internet, but for the retailers in his path, it feels more like the End of Days.
- The Worst Tweets Of 2013
December 19 2013 5:40 PM
Cue the Fail Whale. IBTimes rounds up the most offensive, most invasive, most ill-conceived tweets of the year. It’s racism. It’s misogyny. It’s half-baked marketing ploys. It’s Twitter.
- Bible-Quoting Phil Robertson Fans Lash Out At A&E
December 19 2013 12:33 PM
Fans of “Duck Dynasty” are slamming GLAAD and vowed to boycott A&E, accusing the network of punishing Robertson for expressing Christian beliefs.
- US Pre-Employment Credit Check Ban Faces Strong Opposition
December 18 2013 3:57 PM
Sen. Elizabeth Warren introduced a bill that would prohibit employers from running credit checks on job applicants, but the major credit bureaus might not just sit back and watch.
- Plagiarism Scandal Derails Shia LaBeouf Short Film
December 17 2013 2:07 PM
Shia LaBeouf said he’s sorry for failing to credit the cartoonist whose graphic novella inspired his new short film. Is he just sorry he got caught?
- Asian-Americans Speak Out: ‘We’re Not Your Sidekick’
December 16 2013 1:35 PM
Freelance writer Suey Park spearheaded the viral hashtag #NotYourAsianSidekick, which trended for more than 24 hours this weekend.
- SantaCon Backlash: NYC Bars Ban Drunken St. Nicks
December 13 2013 4:06 PM
In New York City, 30,000 rowdy Santa Clauses are coming to town, but police, bar-owners and community organizers are fighting back.
- Republicans Face Backlash Over ‘Rape Insurance’ Law
December 12 2013 1:37 PM
Despite fierce opposition, an unpopular law restricting abortion coverage in Michigan was passed by the state’s Republican-controlled legislature on Wednesday.
- Upworthy And The Rise Of Clickbait Spoilers
December 11 2013 6:51 PM
The 2-year-old Upworthy has generated phenomenal social traffic with its emotionally driven headlines, but not everyone thinks they’re worth the click.
- Slaughtering Stray Dogs On The Streets Of Romania
December 11 2013 3:11 PM
The Romanian government approved a law that will allow captured dogs to be killed after 14 days, but some citizens fed up with the country’s overwhelming stray problem aren’t waiting that long.
- Unpaid ‘Sleep No More’ Interns Speak Out
December 07 2013 8:29 AM
In response to an IBTimes report earlier this week, former unpaid interns for the commercially successful production “Sleep No More” shared some of their backstage experiences.
- Paris Hilton Tweet Hoax: Why Were The Media So Quick To Buy It?
December 06 2013 1:33 PM
In spreading a phony quote about Nelson Mandela, Twitter user @DeletedTweets inadvertently proved the powerful allure of the almighty screenshot.
- French Horns: The Bloody Battle To End Bullfighting In France
December 06 2013 11:05 AM
With clashes turning violent in southern France, could a simple tourist boycott be the coup de grace for a centuries-old blood sport?
- NY's Ultra-Trendy 'Sleep No More' - 'Macbeth' With Unpaid Labor
December 03 2013 2:32 PM
Though offered no pay, the smash hit's interns are asked to work six shows weekly and ensure the safety of audience and performers.
- GoldieBlox Fights Beastie Boys On Fair Use Rights
November 25 2013 5:29 PM
GoldieBlox Inc., which encourages girls to become engineers, used an unlicensed parody of a Beastie Boys song in its commercial. Is it a social statement or copyright theft?
- Grieving Brian Griffin Fans Lash Out At Seth MacFarlane
November 25 2013 4:07 PM
Legions of angry “Family Guy” fans took to Twitter on Monday, attacking creator Seth MacFarlane for killing off the beloved character Brian the dog.
- Can A New Music Magazine Succeed?
November 21 2013 5:07 PM
A pioneer in online music journalism is entering old-media territory with a quarterly magazine called The Pitchfork Review.
- Microsoft vs. Google, Holiday Edition - Scroogled Merchandise
November 21 2013 2:08 PM
Buying a gift for that privacy enthusiast in your life? “Scroogled” gear arrives just in time for the holidays.
- Vicious Bachman Haters Bully The Wrong Bachman
November 20 2013 2:34 PM
A frightened grad student became the target of death threats and insults after she was mistaken on Twitter for the controversial lion hunter Melissa Bachman.
- Christianity Extinct In A Generation? Here's Where It Could Happen
November 19 2013 5:12 PM
Religious populations are aging in the U.K., and a former Archbishop of Canterbury said Saturday that the church could go extinct if it doesn’t attract more young people.