Articles by Christopher Zara
- Dogfight: Inside The National Movement To Outlaw Pet Stores
September 07 2013 9:02 AM
San Diego has joined more than 24 U.S. municipalities in banning the retail sale of dogs: Progress for pup welfare or animal rights gone rabid?
- Coke Says Criticism Of Its PlantBottle Is ‘Half-Empty’
September 06 2013 8:24 PM
After accusations it greenwashed the marketing of its PlantBottle packaging, Coca-Cola defended the packaging that includes plant material.
- Facebook Fans Turn On Takei After Christine Quinn Endorsement
September 04 2013 5:23 PM
Oh my! Facebook phenom George Takei took heat from his usually loyal fans after endorsing New York mayoral candidate Christine Quinn.
- ‘Greenwashing’ Coca-Cola Exaggerated Environmental Benefits Of PlantBottle: Report
September 03 2013 3:18 PM
The Coca-Cola Company touts the environmental benefits of its PlantBottle packaging, but the consumer ombudsman of Denmark is asking, “Where’s the proof?”
- Reddit: We Didn’t Ban Russia Today
August 30 2013 5:59 PM
The Russian news organization RT was banned from one of Reddit’s most popular communities on Thursday. Was it censorship?
- Overnight Amber Alerts Startle Smartphone Users In PA, NC
August 30 2013 10:45 AM
Early-morning Amber Alerts were sent out to smartphone users in Pennsylvania and North Carolina Friday. Some critics say the disruptions are going to prompt users to opt out of the alerts.
- Conservatives To Fast Food Strikers: Shut Up And Get Real Jobs
August 29 2013 5:45 PM
In the wake of a nationwide strike by service employees, critics countered that minimum-wage workers should simply “get better jobs” if they want to make more than $7.25 an hour.
- The War On Comments: Have The Trolls Already Won?
August 29 2013 3:56 PM
As Huffington Post plans to abolish anonymity, other publishers look for new ways to fight trolls and keep online comments civil.
- Golf Channel: Our MLK Tweet Was Subpar
August 28 2013 7:55 PM
Twitter users spent the day berating the Golf Channel after the network solicited “golf dreams” to commemorate the 50th anniversary of MLK’s “I Have a Dream” speech.
- NJ Backpedals After Rejecting ‘Atheist’ Vanity Plate
August 28 2013 2:32 PM
Following an inquiry by IBTimes, the New Jersey Motor Vehicle Commission is now saying it made a “clerical error” when it denied a personalized license plate to American Atheists president David Silverman.
- Wal-Mart Offers Benefits To Same-Sex Partners
August 28 2013 12:26 AM
Prodded by a DOMA ruling, the company took the step to be on par with its competitors such as Target and Costco.
- Sex Boxes Open In Zurich, But Will Customers Come?
August 27 2013 3:11 PM
A sex drive-in opened in Zurich on Monday in an effort to curb street prostitution in Switzerland’s largest city.
- Is CVS Bribing Customers To Surrender Medical Privacy?
August 27 2013 7:20 AM
CVS Caremark is defending its ExtraCare program after critics said it tricks customers into giving up their medical-privacy rights.
- NYC Newspapers Endorse Bloomberg, Er, Quinn For Mayor
August 26 2013 2:49 PM
Mayoral hopeful Christine Quinn landed endorsements form three of New York City’s major newspapers, all of which cited a need to stay on the 12-year course plotted out by Michael Bloomberg.
- The Best MTV Video Music Awards Drinking Games
August 24 2013 9:31 AM
IBTimes culls together the best drinking games for the 2013 MTV Video Music Awards, which take place on Sunday at Brooklyn’s Barclays Center.
- How Much Is NSA Surveillance Costing The US Economy?
August 23 2013 10:17 PM
American tech firms could lose their dominance over privacy concerns. So why is the U.S. squelching innovation in the name of security?
- Twitter Study Gets It Wrong: Times Square Is No Happy Place For New Yorkers
August 23 2013 2:17 PM
A new study purports to measure public sentiment in New York City but ultimately highlights the folly of Twitter research.
- Is Atheism A Tax-Exempt Religion? Not If Atheists Can Help It
August 22 2013 5:23 PM
Federal attorneys have argued that atheists could qualify for the same tax breaks reserved for ministers, but atheists reject that claim on the grounds that atheism is not a “belief.”
- Gay Author Mentions Boyfriend; Publisher Cancels Novel
August 20 2013 7:11 PM
A publisher that targets the LDS market has allegedly canceled a book project after its gay author refused to remove a reference to his boyfriend in his bio.
- Staging A Rally? Now You Can Hire Your Own Protesters
August 19 2013 5:38 PM
A Los Angeles startup lets you hire fake protesters, paparazzi, adoring fans or any crowd you need. Is this the future of crowd support?