Articles by Christopher Zara
- Despite Efforts, Gender Gap Persists On Wikipedia
August 19 2013 1:30 PM
The vast majority of Wikipedia contributors are still male, despite a variety of efforts to encourage more women to create and edit articles on the online encyclopedia.
- Animal-Rights Advocates Want To Cook Gordon Ramsay’s Goose
August 17 2013 11:09 AM
PETA is calling on the celebrity chef Gordon Ramsay to stop selling foie gras, a controversial delicacy made from inflamed duck or goose livers.
- Gay Male Blood Should Not Be Banned By FDA, Says Petition
August 16 2013 3:56 PM
Men who have sex with men have been prohibited from donating blood since the dawn of AIDS, but gay activists say the ban is outdated and homophobic.
- Is WinCo Anti-Union? Wal-Mart Competitor Shunned By AFL-CIO
August 16 2013 1:20 PM
WinCo Foods, an Idaho-based discount grocer, is being held up as a more ethical competitor to Wal-Mart, but labor unions are not a fan of either.
- Sandberg Flap Raises Legal Limits Of Nonprofit Volunteerism
August 15 2013 1:11 PM
Facebook COO Sheryl Sandberg is under fire after a status update seeking an unpaid intern for her nonprofit foundation went viral.
- We’re Not Teaching Students How To Get Away with Rape, US Attorney Says
August 13 2013 4:47 PM
A U.S. attorney said characterizations of a new school program as “teaching athletes not to post evidence of rape” are wildly unfair.
- Gmail Panic: Will Google’s New Inbox Hurt Small Businesses And Nonprofits?
August 13 2013 5:49 AM
Google rolled-out a multi-tabbed Gmail inbox, and nonprofits & small businesses fear it will relegate them to second-class status.
- Daily Mail Accused Of Plagiarism (Again)
August 12 2013 2:00 PM
Ruth Styles, a freelance writer for the Daily Mail website, is being criticized on Twitter after writing a story about the “world’s worst tourists,” which cited the same examples of a similar story on Cracked.com.
- Media Watchdog Blasts ‘Anti-Israel’ New York Times
August 09 2013 7:06 PM
Camera, a pro-Israel media watchdog, ran a full-page ad blasting the New York Times for a feature on the Israeli–Palestinian conflict.
- Iceland Protesters Vow Empty Seats For Antigay Evangelist
August 09 2013 3:28 PM
Icelanders are reserving hundreds of tickets to Franklin Graham’s festival in Reykjavík, but they have no intention of showing up.
- Edward Snowden Is No Gandhi, Says Rep. John Lewis
August 08 2013 6:09 PM
Lewis was forced to clarify comments he made to the Guardian, in which he appeared to shower Snowden with praise.
- That Smarts: UC San Francisco Ordered To Pay $14K To Intern
August 08 2013 5:59 AM
Johanna Workman, who acquired her doctoral degree in psychology in 2011, was hired as an intern at U.C. San Francisco.
- Yahoo Confuses Everyone With Logo Marketing Stunt
August 07 2013 2:15 PM
In an unusual marketing campaign, Yahoo said it will introduce a new logo in 1 month, after it unveils 30 temporary logos for no apparent reason.
- Legal Victory For Voyeuristic ‘Neighbors’ Photographer
August 06 2013 4:10 PM
The parents of two small children who were unwittingly featured in the controversial “Neighbors” exhibit were denied a preliminary injunction that would have prevented photographer Arne Svenson from displaying or distributing the photographs.
- Facebook: Satirical ‘Virgin Mary’ Page Does Not Violate Our Terms
August 06 2013 10:39 AM
Christian groups are up in arms over a Facebook page called “Virgin Mary Should’ve Aborted,” which is testing the website’s policy against hate speech.
- Time Warner Earnings Preview: Profits Soar With ‘Man Of Steel’ Muscle
August 06 2013 7:46 AM
Time Warner Inc. will report Q2 earnings Wednesday that will reflect CNN's ratings rebound a busy summer movie season.
- Amazon’s Jeff Bezos To Pay Cash For The Washington Post
August 05 2013 5:16 PM
Amazon.com founder Jeff Bezos will reportedly pay $250M for the newspaper & publications, in a bizarre sale few people knew was in the works.
- Disney Q3 Earnings Preview: ‘Avengers’ Hangover To Drag On Profits
August 05 2013 8:50 AM
Disney's report follows a blockbuster movie season including “Iron Man 3,” “Monsters University” and early integration of “Star Wars” franchise.
- 21st Century Fox Earnings Preview: Swan Song For Old News Corp.
August 05 2013 8:48 AM
Fox is expected to post higher profits on Tuesday in the final report for the combined News Corp., which spun off its publishing segment.
- Newsweek, Sans Daily Beast, Sold To IBT Media
August 04 2013 1:17 PM
IBT Media, the publisher of International Business Times, said it will acquire Newsweek from Barry Diller’s IAC.