Articles by Christopher Zara
- 21st Century Fox Earnings Preview: Swan Song For Old News Corp.
August 05 2013 8:48 AM
Fox is expected to post higher profits on Tuesday in the final report for the combined News Corp., which spun off its publishing segment.
- Newsweek, Sans Daily Beast, Sold To IBT Media
August 04 2013 1:17 PM
IBT Media, the publisher of International Business Times, said it will acquire Newsweek from Barry Diller’s IAC.
- Gannett Confirms Layoffs At Papers, But Won’t Say How Many
August 02 2013 11:39 AM
Gannett Co., parent company of USA Today, issued a round of layoffs at local newspapers this week, but it declined to say how many employees will be affected.
- Nationwide Pro-Privacy Rallies Planned For ‘1984 Day’
August 01 2013 12:26 PM
Restoring the Fourth, a grassroots group calling for an end to U.S. government surveillance, is organizing pro-privacy rallies in 17 cities on Sunday, Aug. 4, dubbed “1984 Day.”
- Untimely Death Of Celebrated Hacker Sparks Conspiracy Theories
July 29 2013 12:48 PM
Following the mysterious death of Barnaby Jack, the 35-year-old “white hat” computer hacker best known for making ATMs spit cash, social media sites like Reddit and Twitter have been rife with conspiracy theories.
- When Your Cable-TV Box Or Game Console Spies On You
July 26 2013 5:32 PM
Pay-TV providers like Verizon and tech giants like Microsoft are developing devices that can monitor our behaviors as we watch TV and play games.
- This Color-Coded Map Of LA’s Freeways Is Pretty Terrific
July 26 2013 12:04 PM
Already a hit on Kickstarter, a color-coded, subway-style road map is generating interest from people looking for an easier way to navigate the Greater Los Angeles freeway system.
- NYC Subways Could Be Renamed For Corporate Sponsors
July 25 2013 5:22 PM
The MTA on Wednesday approved a policy to rename New York City subway stations after corporate sponsors, but will the plan leave straphangers feeling lost?
- The Alleged Plot To Murder Nancy Grace
July 25 2013 12:36 PM
David Lee Simpson, an auto-shop worker infatuated with Jodi Arias, was arrested after allegedly posting on Twitter that he planned to slit the throats of Nancy Grace and Jane Velez-Mitchell.
- Summer of George: Royal Baby Name Brings ‘Seinfeld’ Kudos
July 24 2013 4:48 PM
“Seinfeld” actors Jason Alexander and Julia Louis-Dreyfus were the toast of Twitter and Facebook on Wednesday following the announcement that the royal baby’s name is George Alexander Louis.
- Media Applauds Huma Abedin, But Does She Deserve It?
July 24 2013 1:48 PM
The ongoing sideshow that is Anthony Weiner’s New York City mayoral bid is fostering a groundswell of media sympathy for Weiner’s wife, Huma Abedin, who stood by his side once again during a Tuesday press conference.
- Spike Lee’s Kickstarter Gets ‘Joint’ Support From Steven Soderbergh Neil Gaiman
July 23 2013 5:20 PM
Director Spike Lee, the latest established filmmaker to turn to Kickstarter, landed a $10,000 gift from Steven Soderbergh, who will now get to sit courtside with Lee at a Knicks game.
- BuzzFeed, Its Visibility Growing, Becomes A Target Of Media Watchdogs
July 23 2013 3:43 PM
From the liberal Media Matters to the conservative Media Research Center, watchdogs on both sides of the political spectrum are attacking BuzzFeed Inc.
- Why Can’t Broadcast Networks Make Great TV Dramas?
July 23 2013 11:24 AM
For the second year in a row, the Big Four broadcasters were completely shut out of Emmy’s coveted Outstanding Drama Series category. Should network TV give up on serious drama?
- Royal Baby Media Hype Provokes ‘Born Equal’ Backlash
July 22 2013 1:46 PM
The frenetic media coverage surrounding the birth of Prince William and Kate Middleton’s first child has provoked a backlash from British republicans who say everyone should be born equal.
- NYC Horse Advocates Pony Up Attack Against Quinn
July 20 2013 5:49 PM
NYclass, an animal-advocacy group, is stepping up efforts to prevent New York City Council Speaker Christine Quinn from becoming the city’s next mayor.
- Google’s Mandatory AdWords Upgrade Leaves Advertisers Miffed
July 20 2013 4:32 PM
Google will implement a major upgrade of its AdWords product Monday, but many advertisers are unhappy about the forced changeover.
- Latin America May Thwart Amazon’s Domain Quest
July 20 2013 2:03 PM
A group of Latin American countries may have thwarted Amazon Inc.’s request to control the .amazon domain suffix.
- Man In Wheelchair Sets Off Bomb At Beijing Airport
July 20 2013 11:11 AM
A man in a wheelchair set off a bomb at the Beijing Capital International Airport on Saturday, according to state-run media.
- Here’s How You Can Avoid Being Sued By Your Interns
July 19 2013 9:48 AM
Fox Searchlight, Hearst Corp, Atlantic Records, Gawker Media and others have all been sued by former interns, but labor lawyers say it doesn’t have to be that way.