Articles by Connor Sheets
- US Capitol Police Who Responded To Shooting Not Being Paid
October 03 2013 4:37 PM
Capitol police are "essential employees," who must report to work despite the lapse in funding for federal operations, but they're still not being paid.
- Meet Tom Clancy's Widow, Alexandra Marie Llewellyn
October 02 2013 11:38 AM
Meet Alexandra Marie Llewellyn, Tom Clancy's wife, who was a freelance journalist and is now a widow following the author's death on Tuesday.
- Why I Didn’t Watch The ‘Breaking Bad’ Finale
September 30 2013 12:26 PM
I may be the only person on earth who didn't watch the "Breaking Bad" finale, if my Facebook feed is to be believed.
- ‘Monsanto Protection Act’ To Be Buried After Death In US Senate
September 27 2013 3:30 PM
The "Monsanto Protection Act" is set to expire at the end of this month after an amendment was approved to remove it from a Senate spending bill.
- A Rare Look Inside Nigeria’s Growing Space Program
September 27 2013 10:01 AM
Nigeria’s space ambitions are expensive but necessary (according to the government) despite the country's unimaginable poverty.
- Tracy Morgan Crashes NYC Comedy Show
September 26 2013 7:10 PM
The always-funny Tracy Morgan of "30 Rock" and "Saturday Night Live" fame crashed a comedy show Tuesday night in New York, where he delivered some hilarious new material.
- GOP Lawmaker Fires Back At Obama For Mocking Him In Fiery Speech
September 26 2013 4:11 PM
State Rep. Bill O'Brien, a Republican, fired back at Obama hours after he criticized his comparison of Obamacare to the Fugitive Slave Act.
- Nairobi Massacre Illuminates Importance Of Security In Terrorist-Prone Parts of Africa
September 23 2013 6:23 PM
The massacre in Nairobi illuminates the necessity of the security state that has gripped Abuja, Nigeria, in response to terror attacks there.
- People Turning To Crime In Frenzy For ‘GTA 5’
September 20 2013 10:11 PM
With “GTA 5” frenzy sweeping the U.S., some people who can’t get their hands on a copy of the ultrapopular “Grand Theft Auto V” video game have turned to real-life crime.
- Mother Gets Jail Sentence For Son Named Jihad’s ‘I Am A Bomb’ Shirt
September 20 2013 9:04 PM
A French mother who sent her 3-year-old son named Jihad to school wearing a shirt that said, “I am a bomb,” has reportedly been sentenced to a one-month suspended prison sentence and ordered to pay a €2,000 fine after being convicted of “glorifying a crime.”
- Meet Brian Holloway, Ex-NFL Star Whose House Was Trashed
September 20 2013 4:46 PM
Who exactly is Brian Holloway, the ex-NFL star whose New York home was trashed by teenagers who documented the destruction on Twitter?
- A New Yorker In Lagos, Nigeria: At Home Amid The Chaos
September 20 2013 11:29 AM
Visiting Lagos as a New Yorker was a revelatory experience defined by stunning displays of wealth and poverty, among other things.
- How To Apply To The ‘Obamacare’ Health Insurance Exchange
September 19 2013 2:49 PM
Here's everything you need to know about open enrollment in the Affordable Care Act's health insurance exchange, which begins Oct. 1.
- Meet Jonathan Ferrell, Ex-Football Player Killed By NC Police
September 18 2013 4:54 PM
Meet former Florida A&M University football player Jonathan Ferrell, the 24-year-old who was shot dead Saturday by a police officer in Charlotte, N.C.
- Jumia: The Company Behind Africa's 'Amazonification'
September 18 2013 5:54 AM
The booming Nigerian start-up Jumia has established itself as one of Africa's leading online retail portals in just 1.5 years.
- Russia Moves Against Anti-Gay Prejudice At Sochi Olympics
September 14 2013 6:51 PM
In signing a socially inclusive Olympic Truce, Russia appears to be backing off anti-gay discrimination at the Sochi 2014 Winter Olympics.
- Funeral Bombing And Other Attacks Kill At Least 25 In Iraq
September 14 2013 3:41 PM
At least 25 people were killed in a spate of attacks across Iraq on Saturday that included the bombing of a funeral service.
- Kanye Faces Jail Time Over Paparazzi Altercation
September 14 2013 2:52 PM
The good life has gone a little sour for Kanye West now that he faces a year in jail on charges arising from a July scuffle with a paparazzo.
- Shanghai Free-Trade Zone Launch Generates A Buzz
September 14 2013 1:42 PM
The pending launch of a Shanghai free-trade zone aimed at testing Chinese economic reforms has analysts cautiously buzzing.
- Gay Life In Nigeria, One Of The World’s Most Homophobic Nations
September 13 2013 10:09 PM
Gay life in Nigeria is evolving, even as the country considers a measure to make homosexuality a crime punishable by 14 years in prison.