Articles by Dan Rivoli
- Harry Reid Calls For Senate Filibuster Reform [VIDEO]
May 11 2012 1:26 PM
Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid, D-Nev., said the filibuster has been abused, abused, abused after a bipartisan bill to reauthorize a federal export financing bank was stalled Thursday.
- Gov. Chris Christie Blocks Key Obamacare Provision In New Jersey
May 10 2012 5:52 PM
The national Republican star and oft-mentioned vice presidential candidate vetoed a bill to set up a health insurance marketplace mandated under the Affordable Care Act.
- House Republicans Attempt To Hamstring Eric Holder's Justice Department
May 10 2012 5:14 PM
Republicans in the U.S. House of Representatives added amendments to a Justice Department funding bill that would restrict taxpayer money from litigation involving voter ID laws, the health care law and other politically-divisive issues.
- Obama On Same-Sex Marriage: Personal Support, But Not As Civil Right
May 10 2012 11:12 AM
President Barack Obama made a historic announcement of his support of gays and lesbians marrying, but stopped short of calling it a civil right.
- Pentagon Steps Up Efforts To Detect Moles
May 09 2012 3:46 PM
The Department of Defense this week issued information-sharing guidelines aimed to bust insiders who leak information to foreign intelligence entities.
- Sen. Lugar, After Losing Republican Primary, Issues Blistering Farewell Statement
May 09 2012 11:53 AM
The six-term Republican senator from Indiana issued a statement more than 1,000 words long after losing a primary battle to Richard Mourdock, a state treasurer.
- Senate GOP Blocks Democrats' Bill To Keep Student Loan Interest Rates From Doubling
May 08 2012 5:03 PM
Senate Republicans sustained a filibuster of a Democratic bill to keep some student loan rates from doubling to 6.8 percent in July.
- America Getting 'Comfortable' With Same-Sex Marriage: Poll
May 08 2012 2:26 PM
A new poll out Tuesday finds that half of Americans support legal recognition of gay marriage. It's the second year in a row that more Americans favor than oppose the idea in the Gallup poll.
- Primary Election 2012: Wisconsin, Indiana, North Carolina Vote In Nationally Watched Races
May 08 2012 12:47 PM
Voters in three big U.S. states Tuesday will weigh in on several closely watched campaigns. Here is what's at stake
- Accused 9/11 Plotters' Counsel Puts Entire System, Torture On Trial
May 07 2012 6:09 PM
After the arraignment of the five accused 9/11 planners, their civilian counsel criticized the military commission handling the case.
- North Carolina's Anti-Gay Union Measure Up For Vote After Final Campaign Push
May 07 2012 12:10 PM
The final poll of support for a North Carolina ballot amendment to ban gay unions shows the measure passing 55-39 percent.
- Khalid Sheikh Mohammed, 4 Other Accused 9/11 Plotters To Be Arraigned At Gitmo
May 04 2012 5:18 PM
Khalid Sheikh Mohammed, the confessed mastermind behind the Sept. 11, 2001, terrorist attacks on the United States, will be formally arraigned -- along with four alleged co-conspirators -- in a military court at the Guantanamo Bay Naval Base in Cuba on Saturday. Each faces the death penalty.
- Attorney General Eric Holder Under Fire From House GOP
May 04 2012 4:20 PM
U.S. Attorney General Eric Holder is getting election-year heat from two prominent Republicans in the House of Representatives.
- Mitt Romney Rips 'Terrible' April Jobs Report [VIDEO]
May 04 2012 11:37 AM
Mitt Romney appeared Friday on Fox to discuss the April jobs report showing 115,000 jobs added, far lower than expected.
- Veepstakes 2012: Republicans Pick Santorum, Rubio As Tea Party, Indies Split
May 03 2012 4:40 PM
A Reuters/Ipsos poll released Thursday said Rick Santorum and Sen. Marco Rubio are Republicans' top picks to be Mitt Romney's vice president.
- Supreme Court Should Overturn Health Care Law, Swing State Voters Say: Poll
May 03 2012 1:05 PM
A survey of three swing states -- Florida, Ohio and Pennsylvania -- show more voters want the U.S. Supreme Court to strike down the health care law.
- Obama, Romney In Tight Race In Key Swing States: Poll
May 03 2012 11:43 AM
A Quinnipiac poll released Thursday shows President Barack Obama deadlocked with Mitt Romney in Florida and Ohio, while the president leads his GOP rival in Pennsylvania.
- Senate GOP Leader McConnell To Supreme Court: Toss Montana's Anti-Citizens United Ruling
May 02 2012 5:40 PM
Senate Minority Leader Mitch McConnell says the Montana Supreme Court's decision to uphold a state law banning corporate involvement in elections flies in the face of the U.S. Supreme Court's Citizens United ruling.
- Bush Torture Memo Author John Yoo Immune From American Enemy Combatant's Suit
May 02 2012 3:23 PM
The 9th Circuit Court of Appeals rejected Jose Padilla's lawsuit against Bush administration counsel and torture memo author John Yoo.
- Supreme Court Approval Hits New Low: Poll
May 01 2012 5:20 PM
A slim majority Americans still have a favorable opinion of the Supreme Court, but support has declined over the last three years.