- Marijuana Legalization Catches Fire at White House Social Media Events
January 30 2012 3:38 PM
Why the White House's attempts to hear from Americans is a magnet for marijuana legalization advocates.
- Jan Brewer, Obama Meeting: Did Arizona Governor's Finger Pointing Cross a Line?
January 27 2012 5:18 PM
Presidents have been on the receiving end of tough criticism from other elected officials in private. But is it breaching decorum to point a finger?
- Eric Holder Launches Probe into Mortgage-Backed Securities Fraud
January 27 2012 2:58 PM
U.S. Attorney General Eric Holder Friday announced the formation of a task force focused on probing residential mortgage-backed securities following President Barack Obama's call for a unit to probe the finance industry's conduct leading up to the financial crisis.
- Hillary Clinton 2012: Time to Get Off Political 'High Wire' [VIDEO]
January 27 2012 12:30 PM
Hillary Clinton again dismisses a swap with Vice President Joe Biden on the 2012 ticket.
- Romney's Health Care Views Different from Obama's, Republicans Say: Poll
January 26 2012 5:42 PM
A poll released Thursday showed 49 percent of Republicans believe Mitt Romney and President Barack Obama have different views on health care policy, despite the similarities between their health insurance reform laws.
- Social Media in the Jury Box Goes Undetected: Report
January 26 2012 4:31 PM
Judges said they relied on attorneys, court staff and other jurors to catch improper social media use in the jury box.
- Obamacare and Supreme Court: Poll Says Americans Believe Justices Will Strike Insurance Mandate
January 26 2012 12:01 PM
A January poll from the Kaiser Family Foundation said more Americans believe the U.S. Supreme Court will overturn the Affordable Care Act's insurance mandate, but will base their decisions on ideology, instead of legal analysis.
- Gabrielle Giffords Shooter Jared Loughner in Legal Fight Over Forced Medication
January 25 2012 5:59 PM
Jared Lee Loughner, whose shooting rampage left six dead and Rep. Gabrielle Giffords in life-threatening condition, is fighting against forced medication.
- SOTU 2012: Chief Foreclosure Deal Critic Tapped as National Mortgage Czar
January 25 2012 3:31 PM
New York Attorney General Eric Schneiderman has been a leading critic of a deal with the nation's largest mortgage servicers over improper foreclosure practices.
- Voter ID Laws: Texas Accuses Justice Department of Slow-Walking Approval
January 24 2012 5:25 PM
After the U.S. Department of Justice rejected South Carolina's voter ID law, Texas is anticipating a similar fate.
- Mitt Romney Tax Returns - 52% of Americans Want Higher Capital Gains Tax: Poll
January 24 2012 1:56 PM
A slight majority of Americans -- 52 percent -- say they favor raising tax rates on capital gains to match the rate for wage income, according to new poll by The New York Times and CBS.
- State of the Union 2012: Herman Cain to Give Tea Party Response
January 24 2012 11:58 AM
Herman Cain, a former pizza restaurant mogul and one-time GOP primary frontrunner will deliver the Tea Party response to Tuesday's State of the Union address.
- Citizens United, Two Years Later: Legal Mind Behind Landmark Decision
January 24 2012 9:19 AM
There are still hundreds of pages of campaign finance regulations and many of them are unconstitutional, says James Bopp, the legal mind behind the U.S. Supreme Court's Citizens United case. But it'll take time to knock them down.
- Supreme Court GPS Tracking Decision: Does It Prevent Warrantless Long-Term Surveillance?
January 23 2012 8:28 PM
The U.S. Supreme Court Monday reached a landmark decision in a case pitting privacy against law enforcement use of GPS technology. But does the ruling go far enough to prevent George Orwell's 1984 scenario?
- Occupy the Courts: Dozen Arrested on Supreme Court Grounds
January 20 2012 4:14 PM
One protester was arrested inside the Supreme Court.
- Texas Redistricting: Why Clarence Thomas Wants to Strike Key Voting Rights Act Provision
January 20 2012 1:41 PM
U.S. Supreme Court Justice Clarence Thomas Friday reaffirmed his support of overturning a key provision of the Voting Rights Act.
- Mitch Daniels State of the Union Response: What Will He Say?
January 19 2012 3:22 PM
Indiana Gov. Mitch Daniels is expected to talk about the debt crisis and the deficit in the Republicans' response to President Barack Obama's State of the Union address.
- Santorum's Iowa Tie? Leads Romney by 34 Votes, but Cannot be Certified Winner
January 19 2012 10:06 AM
Results from eight precincts are missing, preventing Iowa GOP officials from declaring Santorum the winner, according to the Des Moines Register.
- Supreme Court Backs Congress' Power to Shrink Public Domain
January 18 2012 2:36 PM
In the midst of a battle over SOPA, the controversial anti-piracy legislation, the Supreme Court backed Congress' authority to take foreign works out of the public domain.
- End of an Era for GOP and Latinos?
January 18 2012 6:58 AM
If Mitt Romney grabs the GOP presidential nod, he would be the first Republican candidate in decades to take hard line on immigration policies that Latinos support.