Articles by Dan Rivoli
- Justice Department Defends Obama's Supreme Court Remarks [LETTER]
April 05 2012 3:15 PM
U.S. Attorney General Eric Holder said President Barack Obama's remarks about the Supreme Court striking down the Affordable Care Act were fully consistent with the principles of judicial review.
- Death Penalty Headed For Repeal In Connecticut
April 05 2012 12:27 PM
The ban on capital punishment -- life without the chance for parole will become the state's maximum punishment -- will apply only to future inmates, not those already on death row.
- Judge Fights Back Against Obama's Supreme Court Remarks -- With Homework
April 04 2012 5:06 PM
A federal judge is retaliating against what he says was an inappropriate comment on the judiciary by President Barack Obama, and he is doing so with an unusual tactic: he assigned administration lawyers to do homework.
- Khalid Sheikh Mohammed, 4 Other Accused 9/11 Plotters Face Death Penalty Trial
April 04 2012 3:01 PM
Khalid Sheik Mohammed, the alleged mastermind behind the Sept. 11, 2001, terrorist attacks, and four accused co-conspirators face possible imposition of the death penalty when they're tried by a U.S. military commission.
- Pelosi Predicts Supreme Court OK Of Health Care Law
April 04 2012 2:57 PM
Minority Leader Nancy Pelosi, former speaker of the House of Representatives, said the Affordable Care Act was written in an iron clad way to withstand constitutional review.
- Obama Signs Stock Act, Banning Insider Trading In Congress
April 04 2012 12:53 PM
Trading on nonpublic information is already illegal for House and Senate members, but the new law bars them and any other federal employee from trading on nonpublic information about upcoming legislation or regulations. It also tightens disclosure requirements on financial transactions.
- Obama To Supreme Court: Don't Go Back To New Deal Days
April 03 2012 4:13 PM
President Barack Obama said the U.S. Supreme Court has yet to strike down an economic law like the Affordable Care Act since before the New Deal.
- Health Care Hearings Barely Change Opinion Of Supreme Court, Law: Poll
April 03 2012 1:08 PM
A poll showed more Americans still hold the same view of the U.S. Supreme Court and the Affordable Care Act despite last week's six hours of oral arguments in a high-profile case.
- Obama Urges Supreme Court To Uphold Health Care Law
April 02 2012 5:58 PM
I'm confident the Supreme Court will not take what would be an unprecedented, extraordinary step in overturning a law that was passed by a strong majority of a democratically-elected Congress, the president said.
- Supreme Court Backs Invasive Jailhouse Strip Searches For Minor Offenses
April 02 2012 3:00 PM
In a 5-4 decision Monday, the U.S. Supreme Court said security at jail facilities trumps privacy rights for those who undergo invasive strip searches, even for small offenses.
- Sen. Schumer: Supreme Court Would Be 'Most Activist In A Century' If It Overturned Health Care Law
April 02 2012 12:39 PM
Sen. Chuck Schumer, the No. 2 Democrat, brushed away concerns that the tough questioning of the health care law from the U.S. Supreme Court was a sign the justices would strike the law down.
- Alaska, Oil Giants Reach Deal On $40 Billion Pipeline Project
March 31 2012 2:36 PM
BP, ExxonMobil and ConocoPhillips ended litigation with Alaska over a field of natural gas in the state's North Slope that has remained undeveloped for 30 years.
- Supreme Court Meets To Vote On Health Care Case
March 30 2012 4:57 PM
The Supreme Court met Friday -- in a regular, private conference -- to vote on the health care reform law case, but their ruling won't be released until June. Here's a look at the concerns potential swing votes Chief Justice John Roberts and Justice Anthony Kennedy expressed during oral arguments.
- Ryan's Budget Plan Passes House, Headed For Certain Death In Senate
March 29 2012 5:23 PM
Plan would cut entitlements, discretionary spending and taxes on high-income Americans, while protecting defense spending.
- Health Care Case: Top 5 - Relatively - Funny Moments
March 29 2012 4:05 PM
Justice Antonin Scalia lives up to his reputation as the funniest justice.
- Health Care Case: Conservative Justices Question Medicaid Expansion; Scalia Sees Robbery
March 28 2012 9:06 PM
The U.S. Supreme Court Wednesday grilled attorneys about the federal government's power to pull Medicaid funds from states that refuse to accept new enrollees who will be eligible under the health care law.
- Health Care Case: Covering Uninsured Secures 'Blessings Of Liberty,' Says Obama Attorney
March 28 2012 6:24 PM
In closing arguments, Solicitor General Donald Verrilli discussed the human toll of the 40 million Americans uninsured.
- Health Care Case: Justices Wary Of Getting Inside Congress' Head On Severability Issue
March 28 2012 5:27 PM
Supreme Court Justices seemed to bristle at the idea of figuring out what Congress intended for the Affordable Care Act if the insurance mandate was struck down.
- Supreme Court Health Care Case: Can Broccoli, Cell Phone, Burial-Plot Purchases Be Mandated?
March 27 2012 3:37 PM
The justices pondered what else Congress could require Americans to buy if the Affordable Care Act's individual mandate is upheld as constitutional.
- Health Care Case: Justice Kennedy Lives Up To Swing-Vote Reputation
March 27 2012 2:51 PM
After a rough day at the U.S. Supreme Court for the Obama administration on Tuesday, the fate of the individual insurance mandate may rest in the hands of Justice Anthony Kennedy.