Articles by Dan Rivoli
- Health Care Case: Covering Uninsured Secures 'Blessings Of Liberty,' Says Obama Attorney
March 28 2012 6:24 PM
In closing arguments, Solicitor General Donald Verrilli discussed the human toll of the 40 million Americans uninsured.
- Health Care Case: Justices Wary Of Getting Inside Congress' Head On Severability Issue
March 28 2012 5:27 PM
Supreme Court Justices seemed to bristle at the idea of figuring out what Congress intended for the Affordable Care Act if the insurance mandate was struck down.
- Supreme Court Health Care Case: Can Broccoli, Cell Phone, Burial-Plot Purchases Be Mandated?
March 27 2012 3:37 PM
The justices pondered what else Congress could require Americans to buy if the Affordable Care Act's individual mandate is upheld as constitutional.
- Health Care Case: Justice Kennedy Lives Up To Swing-Vote Reputation
March 27 2012 2:51 PM
After a rough day at the U.S. Supreme Court for the Obama administration on Tuesday, the fate of the individual insurance mandate may rest in the hands of Justice Anthony Kennedy.
- Supreme Court Health Care Case: Individual Mandate Scrutinized
March 27 2012 6:56 AM
Two hours have been set aside at the U.S. Supreme Court on Tuesday for lawyers to argue the constitutionality of the Affordable Care Act's requirement that Americans get health insurance.
- Supreme Court Health Care Case: Do Oral Arguments Really Matter?
March 26 2012 7:15 PM
Historic oral arguments are under way at the U.S. Supreme COurt. But do they sway the justices?
- Supreme Court Health Care Case: Justices Seem Ready To Rule On Law
March 26 2012 3:27 PM
The justices were skeptical that an 1867 law barring lawsuits that challenge taxes would bar them from hearing the health care law case, as the mandate requiring Americans to carry insurance is enforced with a tax penalty.
- Supreme Court Health Care Case: Opening Day Gives Justices Chance To Punt
March 26 2012 6:49 AM
The U.S. Supreme Court on Monday will consider its own authority to consider a lawsuit challenging the Affordable Care Act. Additional oral arguments set for Tuesday and Wednesday will delve into whether the 2010 health care law is constitutional.
- Supreme Court Health Care Case: The Attorneys Behind The Arguments
March 24 2012 7:03 PM
The Affordable Care Act arguments before the U.S. Supreme Court this week will pit two of Washington's seasoned legal minds against each other in a bout akin to Ali vs. Frazier for the legal set. Here's a look at the lawyers who will lead the historic arguments on the constitutionality of the health care measure.
- Supreme Court Health Care Case: A Primer On Oral Arguments
March 23 2012 4:59 PM
Here is a breakdown of the three days of oral arguments before the Supreme Court on the Affordable Care Act.
- Supreme Court Health Care Case: What Do The Experts Think Will Happen?
March 23 2012 4:22 PM
The American Bar Association surveyed academics, attorneys, and journalists who follow the U.S. Supreme Court to gather opinions about the outcome of the Affordable Care Act arguments set to begin Monday.
- Bad Plea Bargain Advice Violates Defendants' Right To Effective Counsel: Supreme Court
March 21 2012 7:30 PM
In a rare move, U.S. Supreme Court Justice Antonin Scalia read from the bench his dissent to what he called an absurd majority opinion that extended the constitutional right to effective counsel to cover plea deals.