Articles by Dan Rivoli
- Dozens Killed in Argentina Train Crash
February 22 2012 12:09 PM
A commuter train in Buenos Aires crashed during Wednesday morning's rush into barriers of the central Once station, killing at least 49 people and injuring hundreds of others.
- Chamber of Commerce Asks Corruption Watchdogs for Help on Foreign Bribery Law
February 21 2012 10:18 PM
A Watergate-era law banning U.S.-based companies from bribing public officials has seen new life in the Obama administration, and the U.S. Chamber of Commerce says corporations need guidance.
- Affirmative Action in Universities at Risk? Supreme Court to Weigh Race as Admissions Factor
February 21 2012 3:56 PM
The U.S. Supreme Court Tuesday took a case that aims to end race as a factor in college admissions.
- Prop 8: No Same-Sex Marriage Case at Supreme Court Anytime Soon
February 21 2012 12:40 PM
Supporters of Prop 8, a same-sex marriage ban a federal appeals court said was unconstitutional, will hold off on taking its case to the U.S. Supreme Court.
- U.S. Justice Department Wants to Drop Massive Foreign Bribery Sting Case
February 21 2012 12:02 PM
After two deadlocked juries and three acquittals, the Department of Justice wants to drop a foreign bribery case launched after a Las Vegas sting operation netted 22 businessmen.
- Rick Santorum Leads in Michigan, but Mitt Romney Closing Gap: Poll
February 20 2012 2:02 PM
A survey from Public Policy Polling shows Mitt Romney closing in on Rick Santorum ahead of the Feb. 28 Michigan primary.
- Montana Case Could Alter Controversial 'Citizens United' Supreme Court Decision: Justices
February 18 2012 6:03 PM
U.S. Supreme Court Justices Steven Breyer and Ruth Bader Ginsburg said Friday that a case challenging a century-old Montana law prohibiting corporate political spending could lead to a new challenge to the court's controversial Citizens United ruling of 2010.
- Obama at Boeing Plant Calls for Tax Plan to Boost U.S. Manufacturing, Exports
February 17 2012 7:00 PM
Standing by a Boeing 787 Dreamliner in Everett, Wash., on Friday, President Barack Obama called on Congress to reshape the corporate tax code to benefit companies that keep jobs in the United States, giving a boost to the domestic manufacturing sector and exports.
- CNN Drops Debate After GOP Heavyweights Back Out
February 17 2012 11:09 AM
CNN was forced to cancel a March 1 pre-Super Tuesday debate when Mitt Romney, Ron Paul and Rick Santorum declined to participate.
- Payroll Tax Cut Will Maintain Recovery's Pace, but It's No Panacea
February 16 2012 3:42 PM
Economists have factored the payroll tax cut extension into forecasts that the U.S. economy will grow 2.5 percent in 2012.
- Occupy Wall Street Group Offers Detailed Critique of Volcker Rule
February 15 2012 5:45 PM
The Occupy movement has moved beyond pickets and protests with a group called Occupy the SEC, which has submitted a 325-page letter on the proposed Volcker Rule.
- House to Vote on Payroll Tax Cut Deal by Week's End: Boehner
February 15 2012 11:21 AM
House Speaker John Boehner said Wednesday a tentative deal on a payroll tax cut extension has been reached.
- Senate Candidate's Racially-Tinged Super Bowl 2012 Ad Backfires: Poll
February 14 2012 4:00 PM
U.S. Senate candidate Pete Hoekstra's popularity has taken a big hit since releasing an ad for the Super Bowl that featured an Asian woman speaking in broken English and exhibiting other Chinese stereotypes.
- Payroll Tax Cut: Obama Hopeful Regarding Extension, But Says Fight Not Over
February 14 2012 1:59 PM
President Barack Obama urged Americans to pressure their lawmakers in Washington to pass a payroll tax cut extension.
- Rick Santorum Passes Mitt Romney - National Poll Shows Tight Race
February 14 2012 11:50 AM
A new national CBS/New York Times poll shows Rick Santorum with a slight lead over Mitt Romney among Republican primary voters.
- Justice Stephen Breyer Robbed During Vacation Home Invasion
February 13 2012 4:57 PM
A machete-wielding intruder snagged $1,000 in cash from U.S. Supreme Court Justice Stephen Breyer's vacation home in the Caribbean.
- Payroll Tax Cut: House GOP Offers Unfunded Extension, Avoiding 2012 Battle
February 13 2012 4:13 PM
House Republicans said Senate Democrats' refusal to accept spending cuts as a way to pay for a payroll tax cut extension has forced them to come up with a fallback plan to continue the popular proposal until after Election Day 2012.
- Rick Santorum: Happy Culture Warrior Talks Social Issues
February 13 2012 3:42 PM
Rick Santorum may want to discuss economic policy, but the candidate is spending his time talking about social issues as his campaign gets a new surge of support.
- Syria Protests: U.S. Senators Ask Administration to Increase Aid to Opposition
February 10 2012 3:45 PM
Bipartisan group of senators have introduced a resolution asking the Obama administration to rev up its work with the international community to address the crisis in Syria.
- White House Announces Contraceptive Compromise
February 10 2012 12:02 PM
The compromise aims to tamp down ire among Catholic officials that the Affordable Care Act rule on contraception coverage would force religiously-affiliated organizations to violate church teaching.