Articles by Daniel Tovrov
- Syria Expels 17 Diplomats; Rebels Scrap Annan Peace Plan
June 05 2012 9:11 AM
Seventeen diplomats were labeled persona non grata in Syria on Tuesday and asked to leave the embattled country immediately.
- Vietnam Opens Search For American MIAs
June 04 2012 4:44 PM
In what could be the start of a new era of military and political cooperation, Vietnam said on Monday that it would give the United States permission to search for the remains of four soldiers who went missing during the Vietnam War.
- Libya Jails Gadhafi's Eastern European Mercenaries
June 04 2012 1:53 PM
A Libyan military court convicted 24 Eastern European men of acting as mercenaries for Moammar Gadhafi during last year's revolution.
- 'Canadian Psycho' Luka Magnotta Captured In Germany
June 04 2012 12:31 PM
German police arrested fugitive murder suspect Luka Rocco Magnotta at an internet cafe in Berlin on Monday.
- Gunmen Attack Drug Rehab Center In Mexico
June 04 2012 12:10 PM
Gunmen stormed into a drug rehabilitation center in the Mexican border state of Coahuila on Sunday, leaving 11 people dead and at least eight wounded.
- Post-Mubarak Sentencing: A Troubled Egypt In Political Limbo
June 04 2012 11:45 AM
Sixteen months after stepping down from power, ex-president Hosni Mubarak is still dictating the course of Egyptian politics.
- What Are Iranian Special Forces Doing In Syria?
June 04 2012 11:35 AM
Iran has finally admitted, though not officially, that its top military force is operating in Syria. But how are the elite soldiers of the Quds Force helping the Assad regime? And what will they do as the crisis develops?
- 5.9 Magnitude Earthquake Shakes Indonesian Capital
June 04 2012 9:40 AM
A 5.9 magnitude earthquake struck Indonesia's West Java province at 6:18 p.m. local time Monday, sending shock waves through the capital of Jakarta, about 100 miles from the epicenter.
- Syria Round-Up: Putin Pressed, Assad Doubles-Down
June 04 2012 9:28 AM
Russian Prime Minister Vladimir Putin is expected to be pressured on the Syrian crisis when he meets with European leaders in St. Petersburg on Monday.
- U.N. Condemns Houla Massacre; China, Russia, Cuba Disagree
June 01 2012 1:33 PM
The United Nations Human Rights Commission officially condemned last week's Houla massacre in Syria.
- UN To Condemn Houla Massacre, Order Own Investigation
June 01 2012 9:10 AM
Those who order, help or fail to stop attacks on civilians are individually criminally liable for their actions, U.N. human rights chief Navi Pillay said in Geneva.
- Al Shabab Is On The Move, For Better Or For Worse
May 31 2012 5:00 PM
Ending six years of terror is clearly in Somalia's best interest, especially as the transitional government's mandate nears its end, but scattering the rebels could realize Washington's fear that al Shabab will move deeper into Africa.
- Somali Peace Talks Highlight The Rise Of Turkey As Global Player
May 31 2012 11:20 AM
After a long period of instability and conflict, we now have ahead of us an opportunity for genuine peace and security, Turkey's Deputy Prime Minister Bekir Bozdag said on Thursday.
- Attack From All Sides: Russia And China Pressured On Syria
May 31 2012 9:49 AM
With hopes of changing Moscow's stance on Damascus, U.S. Secretary of State Hillary Clinton said that Russia's relationship with Syria is bringing the country toward civil war.
- Shut Out: ECB Says No Candidate Nations Ready To Join Euro Yet
May 30 2012 4:48 PM
While speculation swirls about whether Greece is going to drop the euro, the European Central Bank said on Wednesday that none of the eight countries trying to get in the currency bloc are ready to join.
- U.S. Looks For Russian Support In Syria
May 30 2012 3:22 PM
Treasury Undersecretary for Terrorism and Financial Intelligence David Cohen said in Washington on Wednesday that he will travel to Moscow in the very near future.
- Free Syrian Army Gives Assad A '48 Hour Deadline'
May 30 2012 2:33 PM
Syrian rebels gave President Bashar al-Assad a 48-hour ultimatum to stop the violence in his country and to adhere to Kofi Annan's peace plan, or else face the consequence.
- Russia?s Arms Deals With Syria: A Timeline
May 30 2012 2:05 PM
A history of the Russia-Syria military relationship, starting with the 1973 Arab-Israeli War.
- Abyei: Sudan's Endless Tug-Of-War Over Coveted Oil Region
May 30 2012 11:07 AM
Sudan withdrew its troops from Abyei, the disputed, oil-rich region on the border with South Sudan, handing it over United Nations peacekeepers on Tuesday.
- Russia Ships Guns To Assad: Report
May 29 2012 4:45 PM
A boatload of Russian arms will arrive in Syria next weekend, a Western source told the Al Arabia television station on Tuesday.