- One Wounded At South Carolina College; Shooter At Large
February 26 2013 10:53 PM
One person was shot and wounded at Coastal Carolina University in Conway, S.C., Tuesday night, and the shooter is still at large.
- GOP: Obama Reponsible For Cuts
February 25 2013 11:24 PM
As the administration issues dire warnings about the looming sequester, congressional Republicans are a plan to give the president more flexibility in imposing the $85 billion in cuts, which they say could protect the most vital programs.
- Scottish Cardinal Facing Sex Charges Eligible To Vote For Pope
February 24 2013 3:40 PM
Cardinal Keith O'Brien should be allowed to decide for himself whether to take part in next week's Vatican conclave, says a fellow cardinal.
- Afghans Order US Special Forces Out Of Province, Charging Torture
February 24 2013 2:54 PM
The Afghans demand all U.S. special forces leave Maidan Wardak after reports they are behind civilians being tortured or disappeared.
- Obama Calls Boehner, McConnell On Budget Crunch
February 21 2013 9:38 PM
With the sequestration deadline a week away, President Barack Obama called Republican congressional leaders Thursday to discuss the sharp cuts that loom over the government.
- Another GOP Senator And Bob Dole Back Hagel
February 21 2013 8:53 PM
Chuck Hagel’s fiercely resisted bid to become secretary of defense gained steam Thursday when Sen. Richard Shelby of Alabama, a senior conservative Republican, said he would vote for him.
- Google Reported Planning Touchscreen Laptops
February 21 2013 12:21 AM
Google reportedly has developed the first touchscreen laptops powered by its Chrome OS to be sold later this year.
- Benedict May Change Rules To Speed Papal Election
February 20 2013 10:25 PM
The Vatican hinted Wednesday that Pope Benedict XVI could issue a letter in the week left in his pontificate that may speed the election of his successor.
- Hagel Smear Began As Joke, Reporter Says
February 20 2013 9:44 PM
The false claim that Chuck Hagel had been endorsed for defense secretary by a nonexistent group called “Friends of Hamas” began as a ridiculous hypothetical, says the reporter who first floated it.
- 14 Hurt, 3 Missing After Kansas City Blast And Fire
February 20 2013 12:13 AM
Three people are missing and at least 14 people were injured when a gas line in Kansas City, Mo., exploded and ignited a ferocious four-alarm fire, officials said Tuesday night.
- Tunisian Premier Quits, Undercut By Own Party
February 19 2013 8:55 PM
Tunisian Prime Minister Hamadi Jebali resigned Tuesday after failing to form a government amid conflict between his Islamist allies and their secular opponents.
- Sen. Mike Johanns Of Nebraska To Retire In 2014
February 18 2013 9:14 PM
Sen. Mike Johanns, R-Neb., announced Monday that he will not seek re-election in 2014, saying he wants a “quieter time” with his family after a long political career.
- McCain, Graham Seem Resigned To Hagel Confirmation
February 17 2013 1:53 PM
Sen. John McCain said Sunday that his fellow Republicans will drop their delaying tactics on the Chuck Hagel nomination, and the ex-senator has the votes to become defense secretary.
- Car Bombs Kill Dozens In Shiite Areas Of Baghdad
February 17 2013 11:06 AM
Several car bombs exploded in Shiite Muslim neighborhoods across Baghdad Sunday morning, killing dozens of people in blasts that tore into shops, restaurants and busy commercial streets.
- Airbus Drops Lithium-Ion Batteries From New A350
February 14 2013 10:33 PM
Airbus said Thursday night it is dropping lithium-ion batteries from its new A350 airplane after possible defects forced the grounding of Boeing’s 787.
- Sen. Frank Lautenberg, 89, To Retire In 2014
February 14 2013 6:50 PM
U.S. Sen. Frank Lautenberg, D-N.J., announced Thursday that at age 89, this will be his last term. He will not seek re-election in 2014, leaving the seat open for a battle among ambitious Newark Mayor Cory Booker and other New Jersey politicians.
- Reid Calls Showdown Vote On Hagel For Friday
February 13 2013 9:28 PM
Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid, D-Nev., filed Wednesday for cloture on the nomination of Chuck Hagel as secretary of defense, saying it was the first time in history that such a nomination faced a filibuster.
- Chavez Getting 'Alternative' Treatment; Money Devalued
February 13 2013 8:04 PM
Venezuelan President Hugo Chavez is undergoing "complex" alternative treatments more than two months after his cancer surgery in Cuba, his vice president said Wednesday.
- Comcast Buying Remaining 49% Of NBC From GE
February 12 2013 8:03 PM
Comcast Corp. announced Tuesday that it would buy General Electric's remaining 49 percent equity stake in their NBCUniversal joint venture for about $16.7 billion.
- Committee Showdown On Hagel Looms Tuesday
February 11 2013 11:15 PM
The Senate Armed Services Committee is scheduled to vote on Chuck Hagel’s nomination for defense secretary Tuesday, after much delay.