Articles by Eric Linton
- US Agency Voids Apple Patent In Samsung Trial
December 19 2012 10:56 PM
The U.S. Patent Office has set back Apple in its fight with Samsung over smartphone patents, ruling that a patent that helped Apple win $1.05 billion in damages should never have been granted.
- Four State Dept. Officials Ousted Over Benghazi Report
December 19 2012 8:20 PM
Four senior officials are out after an official inquiry condemns their offices for leaving the U.S. mission in Libya vulnerable.
- House GOP To Call Vote On Boehner's 'Plan B'
December 18 2012 10:49 PM
In their latest move in the "fiscal cliff" sparring, House Republicans announced Tuesday night that they will pass their own tax bill as a backup plan.
- UBS Expected To Pay $1.5B Fine For Libor-Rigging
December 18 2012 9:04 PM
Switzerland's UBS is set to pay the second-largest fine ever levied on a bank Wednesday when it admits that a group of its traders rigged Libor interest rates, Reuters reports.
- NRA Issues 1st Statement On Newtown, Sets 'Major News Conference'
December 18 2012 6:22 PM
Breaking its silence four days after the slaughter in Newtown, Conn., the National Rifle Association said Tuesday it is "prepared to offer meaningful contributions to help make sure this never happens again."
- Obama Offers Tax, Benefits Concessions
December 17 2012 11:54 PM
President Barack Obama has agreed to curtail future cost-of-living hikes for Social Security and softened his demand for higher taxes on the rich in talks to avoid the ‘‘fiscal cliff,’’ people familiar with the talks said.
- Sen. Dan Inouye Dead At 88
December 17 2012 5:57 PM
Sen. Daniel Inouye of Hawaii died Monday in Washington, Hawaii News Now reports. He was 88.
- Feinstein To Introduce New Assault Arms Ban
December 16 2012 1:27 PM
The California senator, reacting tothe Newtown school massacre, said Sunday she will introduce a gun control bill on the first day of the next Congress.
- Asian Shares Retreat On US Fiscal Concerns
December 13 2012 9:40 PM
Asian shares snapped a weeklong winning streak Friday, tracking global equities lower on worries that U.S. lawmakers are still too far apart to avert a year-end fiscal crisis.
- Rice Bows Of Out Consideration For State
December 13 2012 4:46 PM
Susan Rice, the U.S. ambassador for the U.N., withdrew her name Thursday from consideration to be secretary of state in the face of implacable opposition from Senate Republicans.
- Asian Markets Keep Rising After Fed Moves
December 12 2012 9:46 PM
Asian shares extended gains for a seventh day Thursday, after the U.S. Federal Reserve took new stimulus steps.
- US Failed To Predict North Korea Rocket
December 12 2012 9:37 PM
U.S. intelligence failed to predict the North Korean rocket launch, CBS News reports. And the satellite’s orbit seemed to be unstable.
- Chavez Surgery Successful, VP Says
December 11 2012 11:20 PM
Venezuelan President Hugo Chavez's cancer operation in Cuba Tuesday was a success, his vice president said.
- Lawyer Says Guatemala Will Free McAfee
December 11 2012 10:15 PM
A lawyer for John McAfee said Tuesday night a judge has ordered the software entrepreneur freed from a Guatemalan jail.
- Asian Shares Rise Near Highs For Year
December 11 2012 8:43 PM
Asian shares rose Wednesday as strong overnight performances in global equities and firmer economic sentiment in Germany buoyed sentiment.
- North Korea Launches Satellite; UN Security Council To Meet Wed
December 11 2012 8:26 PM
North Korea launched its second long-range rocket of 2012. Unlike the first, it succeeded and apparently put a satellite into space.
- Gunmen Wound 9 In Tahrir Square Protest Camp
December 10 2012 9:29 PM
Witnesses say nine people were wounded when unknown attackers fired at protesters camping in Cairo early Tuesday morning.
- Egypt Opposition Spurns Morsi's Call For Dialogue
December 06 2012 11:54 PM
Despite a few concessions in the president's speech, secular forces still demand Morsi call off his power-grabbing decree and referendum.
- US Expected To Extend Iran Sanction Waivers
December 06 2012 11:08 PM
The United States is likely to give India, South Korea, Turkey and other nations another six-month reprieve Friday from financial sanctions because they have cut their oil purchases from Iran.
- SEC Warns Hastings Of Netflix Over Facebook Post
December 06 2012 8:36 PM
The Securities and Exchange Commission issued a "Wells Notice" to Netflix (NASDAQ: NFLX) and its CEO Reed Hastings, the company said Thursday.