Articles by Eric Linton
- Assad's 'Peace Plan': So-Called Terrorists Must Stop Fighting First
January 06 2013 10:42 AM
The Syrian president's initiative has drawn scorn from both domestic opponents and foreign powers.
- Hugo Chavez's Health Seems To Worsen
January 03 2013 11:16 PM
In an alarming statement Thursday night, the government said its leader is now being treated for "respiratory deficiency."
- Asian Shares Down, Dollar Up On Federal Reserve Easing Concerns
January 03 2013 9:17 PM
Asian shares fell Friday, tracking overnight weakness in global equities, but the dollar gained as U.S. debt yields rose after several Fed officials expressed concerns about continued bond buying.
- Transocean To Pay $1.4 Billion For Gulf Of Mexico Disaster
January 03 2013 8:57 PM
Rig contractor Transocean Ltd agreed Thursday to pay $1.4 billion to settle charges over BP Plc's Gulf of Mexico oil spill, admitting that its crew on the Deepwater Horizon was partly responsible.
- Boehner, Under Fire, To Allow Vote On Sandy Relief
January 02 2013 10:41 PM
House Speaker John Boehner, under furious attack from fellow Republicans, abruptly reversed course Wednesday afternoon and set a timetable to approve $60 billion in Superstorm Sandy relief.
- Hillary Clinton Leaves NYC Hospital
January 02 2013 8:49 PM
Secretary of State Hillary Clinton was discharged from a New York hospital Wednesday after being treated for a blood clot near her brain.
- 61 Killed In Ivory Coast Stadium Crush
January 01 2013 3:08 PM
At least 61 people were crushed to death in a stampede after New Year's Eve fireworks at a stadium in Ivory Coast's main city of Abidjan, officials said Tuesday.
- Clinton Making 'Excellent Progress' On Blood Clot
January 01 2013 1:57 PM
U.S. Secretary of State Hillary Clinton "is making excellent progress" recovering from a blood clot in her head and is on blood thinners, her medical team said.
- Iran 'Warns Off' Foreign Planes In Strait Of Hormuz
January 01 2013 12:29 PM
Iran warned off foreign spy planes that tried to approach its forces during naval drills in the Strait of Hormuz, a military spokesman said Tuesday.
- Yen Hits 28-Month Low; Nikkei Jumps
December 27 2012 11:17 PM
The yen hit its lowest level in more than two years Friday, helping lift Japanese stocks to a 21-month high.
- Obama Calls Fiscal Meeting At White House
December 27 2012 10:38 PM
President Barack Obama will meet with congressional leaders from both parties at the White House Friday afternoon in a bid to revive negotiations to avoid the so-called fiscal cliff, with three days left before its deadline.
- Gen. Norman Schwarzkopf Dead At 78
December 27 2012 8:29 PM
Retired Gen. H. Norman Schwarzkopf, victor of the Persian Gulf War of 1991, died Thursday, the Associated Press reports. He was 78.
- Rep. Markey Declares For Kerry Senate Seat
December 27 2012 8:06 PM
Veteran Rep. Edward Markey, D-Mass., became the first candidate to declare for Sen. John Kerry’s seat Thursday.
- Hawaii Lt. Gov. Named To Inouye Senate Seat
December 26 2012 8:40 PM
Gov. Neil Abercrombie surprised many by naming Lt. Gov. Brian Schatz.
- Toyota Settles Acceleration Lawsuits for $1.1B
December 26 2012 7:06 PM
Toyota Motor Corp. has agreed to pay up to $1.4 billion to settle U.S. lawsuits for sudden acceleration, according to court filings made public Wednesday.
- Egypt Constitution Declared Passed By 64%
December 25 2012 4:53 PM
Egyptian voters overwhelmingly approved the Islamist-drafted constitution, authorities announced Tuesday in a blow to President Mohamed Morsi's secular and liberal foes.
- Yen Falls Vs. Dollar Before Japan Transition
December 25 2012 1:19 PM
The yen hit a 20-month low against the dollar Tuesday as Japan's incoming prime minister stepped up pressure on the Bank of Japan to ease monetary policy, while the dollar was buoyed by uncertainty about U.S. budget talks.
- Netflix Streaming Knocked Out By Amazon Outage
December 25 2012 10:30 AM
Netflix's video streaming service was hit by an outage on Christmas Eve, a prime movie-watching night, because of a breakdown at Amazon cloud servers.
- Egypt Constitution Passes, With 64% Support, Despite Vote-Fraud Claims
December 23 2012 3:40 PM
The secular opposition is charging irregularities but admits the Muslim Brotherhood's constitution was approved.
- White House Vows To Defend Kerry's Senate Seat
December 23 2012 12:58 PM
The White House is promising Democrats it will do all it can to hold the Massachusetts seat against a Scott Brown comeback.