Articles by Eric Linton
- Yen Hits 28-Month Low; Nikkei Jumps
December 27 2012 11:17 PM
The yen hit its lowest level in more than two years Friday, helping lift Japanese stocks to a 21-month high.
- Obama Calls Fiscal Meeting At White House
December 27 2012 10:38 PM
President Barack Obama will meet with congressional leaders from both parties at the White House Friday afternoon in a bid to revive negotiations to avoid the so-called fiscal cliff, with three days left before its deadline.
- Gen. Norman Schwarzkopf Dead At 78
December 27 2012 8:29 PM
Retired Gen. H. Norman Schwarzkopf, victor of the Persian Gulf War of 1991, died Thursday, the Associated Press reports. He was 78.
- Rep. Markey Declares For Kerry Senate Seat
December 27 2012 8:06 PM
Veteran Rep. Edward Markey, D-Mass., became the first candidate to declare for Sen. John Kerry’s seat Thursday.
- Hawaii Lt. Gov. Named To Inouye Senate Seat
December 26 2012 8:40 PM
Gov. Neil Abercrombie surprised many by naming Lt. Gov. Brian Schatz.
- Toyota Settles Acceleration Lawsuits for $1.1B
December 26 2012 7:06 PM
Toyota Motor Corp. has agreed to pay up to $1.4 billion to settle U.S. lawsuits for sudden acceleration, according to court filings made public Wednesday.
- Egypt Constitution Declared Passed By 64%
December 25 2012 4:53 PM
Egyptian voters overwhelmingly approved the Islamist-drafted constitution, authorities announced Tuesday in a blow to President Mohamed Morsi's secular and liberal foes.
- Yen Falls Vs. Dollar Before Japan Transition
December 25 2012 1:19 PM
The yen hit a 20-month low against the dollar Tuesday as Japan's incoming prime minister stepped up pressure on the Bank of Japan to ease monetary policy, while the dollar was buoyed by uncertainty about U.S. budget talks.
- Netflix Streaming Knocked Out By Amazon Outage
December 25 2012 10:30 AM
Netflix's video streaming service was hit by an outage on Christmas Eve, a prime movie-watching night, because of a breakdown at Amazon cloud servers.
- Egypt Constitution Passes, With 64% Support, Despite Vote-Fraud Claims
December 23 2012 3:40 PM
The secular opposition is charging irregularities but admits the Muslim Brotherhood's constitution was approved.
- White House Vows To Defend Kerry's Senate Seat
December 23 2012 12:58 PM
The White House is promising Democrats it will do all it can to hold the Massachusetts seat against a Scott Brown comeback.
- Dozens Waiting For Bread Killed In Syria Airstrike
December 23 2012 11:58 AM
Dozens of people were killed and many more wounded Sunday in an airstrike that hit a Syrian bakery in a rebel-held town where people were lining up for bread, activists said.
- Monti Not Running In Election, But 'Available'
December 23 2012 11:00 AM
Italian Prime Minister Mario Monti said Sunday he is not running with any party in February’s elections, but is available to lead a future government if asked.
- Ex-Gov. Mark Sanford To Seek Comeback In SC
December 20 2012 11:36 PM
South Carolina’s disgraced ex-Gov. Mark Sanford is re-entering politics with a run for a soon-to-be-vacant House seat, a strategist with knowledge of his plans said Thursday evening.
- US Stock Futures, Asian Shares Fall After 'Plan B' Failure
December 20 2012 10:40 PM
U.S. stock index futures plunged Thursday after Speaker John Boehner failed to get his “Plan B” tax bill designed to help avert the "fiscal cliff" through the House.
- Boehner's 'Plan B' Draws Veto Threat, Sharpens Fiscal Fight
December 19 2012 11:51 PM
Talks to avert the so-called “fiscal cliff” took a turn for the worse Wednesday as President Barack Obama accused Republicans of holding a personal grudge against him while the top GOP negotiator called the president "irrational."
- US Agency Voids Apple Patent In Samsung Trial
December 19 2012 10:56 PM
The U.S. Patent Office has set back Apple in its fight with Samsung over smartphone patents, ruling that a patent that helped Apple win $1.05 billion in damages should never have been granted.
- Four State Dept. Officials Ousted Over Benghazi Report
December 19 2012 8:20 PM
Four senior officials are out after an official inquiry condemns their offices for leaving the U.S. mission in Libya vulnerable.
- House GOP To Call Vote On Boehner's 'Plan B'
December 18 2012 10:49 PM
In their latest move in the "fiscal cliff" sparring, House Republicans announced Tuesday night that they will pass their own tax bill as a backup plan.
- UBS Expected To Pay $1.5B Fine For Libor-Rigging
December 18 2012 9:04 PM
Switzerland's UBS is set to pay the second-largest fine ever levied on a bank Wednesday when it admits that a group of its traders rigged Libor interest rates, Reuters reports.