Articles by Eric Linton
- Syrian Rebels Take Provincial Capital; Ambush Spreads War To Iraq
March 04 2013 9:15 PM
Opposition fighters said they have taken their first provincial capital, and crowds toppled a statue of President Bashar al-Assad's father.
- Sylvia Mathews Burwell Of Wal-Mart To Head OMB: Report
March 03 2013 4:07 PM
President Barack Obama plans to nominate Walmart Foundation head Sylvia Mathews Burwell to head the White House Office of Management and Budget on Monday, Reuters reported Sunday.
- Dozens Killed In Karachi Bombing Targeting Shiites
March 03 2013 3:14 PM
A suspected suicide bomber attacked Shi'ite Muslims as they were leaving a mosque in Karachi, Pakistan, Sunday, killing scores of people.
- Swiss Vote To Curb CEO Pay, Corporate Power
March 03 2013 12:04 PM
The Swiss have voted to curb the pay of top executives and dramatically shift power away from corporate boards toward shareholders.
- New Pope May Be Asked To Give 'No Resignation' Pledge
March 03 2013 10:56 AM
Cardinals, fearing Benedict’s resignation has weakened his office, will ask the next pope to pledge to serve until death, European media report.
- Countdown To Spending Cuts; Lawmakers Head For Exits
March 01 2013 12:17 AM
As the clock ticked toward huge spending cuts, many members of Congress skipped town. But no fear, the real deadline is Friday midnight.
- US Poised To Boost Aid To Syrian Rebels
February 27 2013 10:06 PM
The United States plans to provide medical supplies and food – at least -- to Syrian rebel fighters in a policy shift.
- Senate Confirms Jack Lew For Treasury, 71-26
February 27 2013 6:58 PM
The Senate confirmed Jack Lew as treasury secretary, putting him in the middle of a crisis over the federal budget.
- Gun Control Backer Wins Chicago House Primary
February 26 2013 11:31 PM
Robin Kelly, a gun control supporter backed by Michael Bloomberg, won the Democratic primary to replace Jesse Jackson Jr.
- One Wounded At South Carolina College; Shooter At Large
February 26 2013 10:53 PM
One person was shot and wounded at Coastal Carolina University in Conway, S.C., Tuesday night, and the shooter is still at large.
- GOP: Obama Reponsible For Cuts
February 25 2013 11:24 PM
As the administration issues dire warnings about the looming sequester, congressional Republicans are a plan to give the president more flexibility in imposing the $85 billion in cuts, which they say could protect the most vital programs.
- Scottish Cardinal Facing Sex Charges Eligible To Vote For Pope
February 24 2013 3:40 PM
Cardinal Keith O'Brien should be allowed to decide for himself whether to take part in next week's Vatican conclave, says a fellow cardinal.
- Afghans Order US Special Forces Out Of Province, Charging Torture
February 24 2013 2:54 PM
The Afghans demand all U.S. special forces leave Maidan Wardak after reports they are behind civilians being tortured or disappeared.
- Obama Calls Boehner, McConnell On Budget Crunch
February 21 2013 9:38 PM
With the sequestration deadline a week away, President Barack Obama called Republican congressional leaders Thursday to discuss the sharp cuts that loom over the government.
- Another GOP Senator And Bob Dole Back Hagel
February 21 2013 8:53 PM
Chuck Hagel’s fiercely resisted bid to become secretary of defense gained steam Thursday when Sen. Richard Shelby of Alabama, a senior conservative Republican, said he would vote for him.
- Google Reported Planning Touchscreen Laptops
February 21 2013 12:21 AM
Google reportedly has developed the first touchscreen laptops powered by its Chrome OS to be sold later this year.
- Benedict May Change Rules To Speed Papal Election
February 20 2013 10:25 PM
The Vatican hinted Wednesday that Pope Benedict XVI could issue a letter in the week left in his pontificate that may speed the election of his successor.
- Hagel Smear Began As Joke, Reporter Says
February 20 2013 9:44 PM
The false claim that Chuck Hagel had been endorsed for defense secretary by a nonexistent group called “Friends of Hamas” began as a ridiculous hypothetical, says the reporter who first floated it.
- 14 Hurt, 3 Missing After Kansas City Blast And Fire
February 20 2013 12:13 AM
Three people are missing and at least 14 people were injured when a gas line in Kansas City, Mo., exploded and ignited a ferocious four-alarm fire, officials said Tuesday night.
- Tunisian Premier Quits, Undercut By Own Party
February 19 2013 8:55 PM
Tunisian Prime Minister Hamadi Jebali resigned Tuesday after failing to form a government amid conflict between his Islamist allies and their secular opponents.