Articles by Jacey Fortin
- Russia And Turkey Discuss Syria, Trade And Chekhov’s Loaded Gun
December 03 2012 7:41 PM
Meeting with Turkey's Erdogan on Monday, Russia's Putin draws on Chekhov to explain why he still opposes Patriot missiles near Syria.
- Syrian Internet Still Down, Experts Say Regime Is Behind The Blackout
November 30 2012 8:12 PM
As Syria's Internet shutdown hinders rebel communication, experts say it is almost certainly the work of the regime.
- After Palestinian Victory At UN, Israel Bites Back With Settlement Plan For 3,000 Homes
November 30 2012 3:27 PM
One day after Palestine's UN victory, the Israeli government has approved plans for new settlement construction in the West Bank.
- World AIDS Day 2012: In Uganda, Cautious Hope In The Aftermath Of Africa’s Great Success Story
November 30 2012 1:57 PM
Uganda was once Africa's greatest success story in the fight against HIV/AIDS, but a recent rise in infections calls for a new plan.
- Big-Game Hunters In Botswana Will Have To Shoot With Cameras, Not Guns
November 29 2012 5:29 PM
Officials in Botswana have announced a 2014 ban on big-game hunting in an effort to preserve wildlife species.
- Egypt's Draft Constitution Imposes President Term Limits, Invokes Islamist Law, Protects Free Press
November 29 2012 4:20 PM
Egyptian lawmakers rushed to approve a constitution full of Islamist clauses, tempered by protections like presidential term limits and a free press.
- Siliana Protests Prove That Tunisia’s Biggest Problems Didn’t Disappear With Ben Ali
November 29 2012 3:04 PM
Demonstrators in the Tunisian town of Siliana are protesting unemployment as Ennahda struggles to align itself.
- UN Morning Schedule For The International Day Of Solidarity With The Palestinian People
November 29 2012 9:13 AM
Before the pivotal UN vote on Palestinian statehood, speakers are scheduled to commemorate the International Day of Solidarity with the Palestinian People.
- Peace Imperiled In Sierra Leone As Opposition Party Disputes Election, Calls Boycott
November 28 2012 8:04 PM
The main opposition party in war-torn Sierra Leone has called for a political boycott, casting a cloud over President Koroma's re-election.
- DR Congo: M23 Rebels Promise To Withdraw From Goma, Something Easier Said Than Done
November 28 2012 5:51 PM
A leader of the DR Congo rebel group M23 said they would withdraw from Goma this week, but we've have heard that before.
- Egypt Sentences Christians To Death For Insulting Islam, Charges US Pastor Terry Jones
November 28 2012 4:04 PM
A Cairo court sentenced seven Egyptians to death in absentia over the 'Innocence of Muslims' video, and charged U.S. Pastor Terry Jones.
- As France’s UMP Party Crumbles, Sarkozy Saves The Day
November 28 2012 7:55 AM
France's main opposition party is splitting down the middle, and Nicolas Sarkozy may be the only one who can put it back together again.
- After Hinting At Withdrawal From Goma, M23 Rebels In DR Congo Stand Their Ground
November 27 2012 11:01 PM
M23 rebels in the Democratic Republic of the Congo have not left Goma, despite earlier reports from Uganda that they might.
- Asian Tigers Battle Finland For Educational Supremacy
November 27 2012 3:51 PM
A new report, "The Learning Curve," ranks Finland the best educational performer on Earth -- and four Asian countries are the runners up.
- For South Africa’s Ruling ANC Party, Winning Votes Is The Easy Part
November 27 2012 10:02 AM
South Africa is gearing up for an African National Congress (ANC) conference in Mangaung that may not amount to many changes -- for now.
- Nigerian Prison Attack Raises Insurgency Concerns, Embarrassing Government
November 26 2012 10:17 PM
Gunmen raided a prison outside Nigeria’s capital city of Abuja on Monday, killing two guards and freeing about 30 prisoners.
- Don’t Judge Me! Egypt’s President Morsi Meets With Angry Judiciary After Power Grab
November 26 2012 5:09 PM
Egyptian President Mohamed Morsi is at odds with high-level judges after issuing a controversial decree that critics have called a power grab.
- Rebels In The Congo Threaten To Spark Another Cataclysmic War In The Heart Of Africa
November 22 2012 10:14 AM
The M23 insurgency in the Democratic Republic of the Congo could turn into another major war if international diplomats drag their feet.
- Another Benghazi Attack, This Time Targeting Libyan Security Official
November 21 2012 2:35 PM
Gunmen in Benghazi assassinated Libyan Security Director Faraj al-Dursi on Tuesday.
- In Poland, A New Breivik-Style Bomb Plot Hints At Growing Extremism In Europe
November 21 2012 7:04 AM
A Polish far-right extremist plotted to blow up the Warsaw parliament building but was foiled by officials this month.