- Nigerians Call For Transparency In Wake Of Online Surveillance Deal
June 07 2013 6:45 PM
In Nigeria, citizens suspect the government of entering into a shady deal for a sophisticated Internet surveillance system.
- The Sunnylands Summit: An Opportunity For Xi And Obama
June 07 2013 5:37 AM
A meeting between President Barack Obama and Chinese President Xi Jinping could set the tone for a new economic dynamic.
- Myanmar Could Quadruple Economy, But Only If Reform Comes Now
June 05 2013 5:46 AM
With the right policies, Myanmar could experience incredible economic growth -- but the opportunity won't last for long.
June 04 2013 10:51 AM
A Cheerios advertisement ignited controversy this week after a slew of racist comments erupted on the brand’s YouTube page. The vitriol came in response to a 30-second commercial showing a mixed-race family. It got was so bad comments were disabled. YouTube is no stranger to discriminatory comments, but this video content was as prosaic as it gets. Who’d have thought cereal could get so serious?
As a biracial American, I was excited to see this advertisement precisely because it’s so dull. As commercials go, this one can’t get any more conventional: cute kid, sunny day, happy family, banal humor. But it’s got everyone talking about Cheerios, myself included. Smart move by Saatchi & Saatchi, a marketing and communications firm that counts General Mills (NYSE:GIS) as a client.
- Leaders and Losers As Africa Pursues Development Goals
June 04 2013 5:45 AM
African countries are rushing to fulfill their Millennium Development Goals by 2015, and some are more serious than others.
- Can The US Afford To Pay For A Syrian Intervention?
May 31 2013 9:13 AM
If the United States intervenes in Syria, the cost of a no-fly zone might be more than the American public bargained for.
- Africa Is A Net Creditor To The World: Why That's Not Good News
May 30 2013 12:54 PM
The illicit outflow of assets from Africa actually exceeds the amount of aid and investment coming in, says a new report.
- Hezbollah Leader Affirms Backing Of Syria’s Assad
May 25 2013 6:53 PM
Hezbollah leader Hassan Nasrallah has voiced his militants' commitment to defeating the rebels in neighboring Syria.
- Maoist Insurgents Kill Congress Party Politicians In India
May 25 2013 4:32 PM
Maoist insurgents attacked a convoy of Congress Party politicians in India Saturday, killing at least 17 people.
- ‘Black Widow’ Suicide Attack Rocks Dagestan
May 25 2013 3:22 PM
A twice-widowed female militant has perpetrated a suicide car-bomb attack in Dagestan, Russia.
- New Soil Atlas Could Modernize Agriculture In Africa
May 25 2013 11:08 AM
A new soil atlas for Africa could help farmers and politicians throughout the continent make better choices about food production.
- Two Years After Revolution, Whatever Happened To Libyan Oil?
May 24 2013 10:20 PM
In post-Gadhafi Libya, energy companies are struggling to gain a new foothold.
May 24 2013 11:27 AM
International trade within Africa is sorely lacking, and that's an arena where the African Union can make a real difference.
- New Cayman Government, Same Cayman Hedge Fund Rules
May 23 2013 2:24 PM
A new party is poised to take control of the elite tax haven. But business as usual is likely to go on for hedge funds based there.
- Long Lines On Top Of The World: Amateurs Invade Mount Everest
May 22 2013 5:47 AM
Traffic on Mount Everest has been building over the past few years. Today, the place is hardly recognizable.
- The Takeover: China Goes To Middle East, Bringing Lots Of Cash
May 11 2013 11:03 AM
In search of resources and trade options, China has turned to the Middle East, including volatile areas where the West fears to do business.
- Syrian Regime Has Used Chemical Weapons: Erdogan
May 09 2013 6:17 PM
Turkish Prime Minister Erdogan said Thursday that the Syrian regime has used chemical weapons, crossing Obama's red line.
- Surprise! Africa’s Fastest-Growing Foreign Direct Investor Is Now... Africa
May 08 2013 6:16 AM
Foreign direct investment in Africa is ramping up, but forget China and the West. This growth is intra-continental.
- Iranian Quds Forces Export Terrorism To Kenya And Beyond
May 07 2013 8:57 AM
Iranian Quds forces have grown more bold and attacked more places in recent years, from Kenya to Thailand to India.
- Africa Ready For Takeoff, But Only If Its Airlines Can Take Flight
May 04 2013 9:21 AM
Economic growth is on the upswing in Africa, but it will only continue if the drivers of commerce can take flight.