Articles by Jacey Fortin
- No Love Lost For Thatcher In Argentina
April 09 2013 8:47 AM
Margaret Thatcher has been mourned all over the world, but eyes are dry in Argentina due to Falkland Islands disputes.
- Journalists In Syria: Who’s Still Missing As The War Drags On
April 06 2013 8:30 AM
Bashar Fahmi, James Foley, Austin Tice and other journalists have never been found since being captured while reporting on the war in Syria.
- Meet 3 More Malalas, Fighting For Justice In Pakistan
April 05 2013 2:24 PM
Women's-rights activists Humaira Bachal, Khalida Brohi and Sharmeen Obaid-Chinoy spoke along with Malala Yousafzai at a conference.
- Nelson Mandela Obit Mistakenly Aired In South Africa
April 03 2013 8:30 PM
South African network DStv aired an obituary for Nelson Mandela on Tuesday, but the iconic leader wasn't dead.
- Joseph Kony’s Head Now Worth $5M, But The Hunt Is On Hiatus
April 03 2013 5:58 PM
African and American forces have suspended their operation to rout the LRA, just the U.S. offered a bounty of $5 million for Joseph Kony.
- Killing Patrice Lumumba: Britain’s Spy Queen Admits 1961 Assassination Role
April 03 2013 5:13 AM
A new letter reveals that Britain's 'Queen of Spies' Daphne Park admitted to MI6's role in the 1961 Congo assassination of Patrice Lumumba.
- As Pakistan Election Approaches, Young People Reject Democracy
April 02 2013 6:57 PM
A new survey finds that Pakistani youth are cynical and conservative; they would prefer military rule or Shariah law over democracy.
- Arm The Syrian Rebels? Only If US Can Do Better This Time
March 29 2013 11:55 PM
Syria's conflict is worsening every day, and the West can help. But U.S. interventions and weapons shipments have a history of backfiring.
- UN Peacekeepers To Gear Up For Combat In DR Congo
March 29 2013 2:41 PM
Monusco, a U.N. peacekeeping force in the DR Congo, will now include an intervention brigade with offensive combat capabilities.
- Mali On The Verge Of Transition, From Combat To Peacekeeping
March 27 2013 1:38 PM
UN Secretary General Ban Ki-moon is looking ahead to the establishment of a peacekeeping force as the French withdraw.
- Top Secret Trip: High-Level Officials In Afghanistan
March 25 2013 3:02 PM
John Kerry is just one in a long line of high-profile officials to make an unannounced visit to Afghanistan during the war.
- How To End Repression In Myanmar? Google It!
March 23 2013 8:00 AM
Google Chairman Eric Schmidt visited Myanmar, or Burma, this week. But is the repressive country ready to get connected?
- Egypt And India: Odd Couple With Great Chemistry
March 22 2013 5:54 AM
Egypt and India have little in common, but a closer relationship could propel surprising growth for both countries.
- Natural Disasters Are Hitting Harder, And Not Because Of Global Warming
March 21 2013 6:10 AM
The global cost of natural disasters has tripled over the past three decades, but global warming is not the main culprit.
- Ten Years In Baghdad: How Iraq Has Changed Since Saddam
March 19 2013 10:06 PM
The Iraqi economy is growing quickly since Saddam was overthrown and sanctions were lifted. But why aren't civilians benefiting?
- Whatever Happened To The Iraq War's Key Players?
March 19 2013 3:54 PM
Where are Donald Rumsfeld, Dick Cheney, Ahmad Chalabi, Tariq Aziz and other key war figures?
- Was Pope Francis Complicit In The Crimes Of Argentina's Dictatorship?
March 15 2013 8:04 PM
Three women kidnapped during Argentina's Dirty War recall how the Catholic Church, and perhaps the new pope himself, aided a dictatorship.
- Zimbabwe's Robert Mugabe: Dictator Or Fashion Mogul?
March 15 2013 6:15 AM
The party of Zimbabwe's autocratic President Robert Mugabe is trying to patent designs used by an apparel label, House of Gushungo.
- Was Pope Francis Complicit During Argentina's Dirty War?
March 14 2013 2:26 PM
When Pope Francis was Jorge Bergoglio, he may have been complicit in atrocious human rights violations during Argentina's dictatorship.
- Venezuela's Maduro: Chavez 'Convinced' Jesus To Pick Bergoglio
March 14 2013 11:49 AM
Venezuelan President Nicolas Maduro said that the late Hugo Chavez convinced Jesus to allow Argentine Cardinal Jorge Bergoglio to become Pope Francis.