Articles by Jacey Fortin
- Is Al-Qaeda Still A Global Threat?
January 31 2013 8:43 AM
Al-Qaeda is re-emerging as a formidable fighting force in Mali and other unstable countries. But is the threat of terrorism contained?
- Assange Runs For Senate In Australia; Could He Actually Win?
January 30 2013 11:28 PM
WikiLeaks founder Julian Assange is running for the Australian Senate this year, despite being cooped up in an Ecuadorean Embassy in London.
- South African Choppers Meant For Zimbabwe, Grounded By Activists
January 29 2013 9:07 AM
Activists have prevented the donation of helicopters from South Africa to Zimbabwe, but a violent election is still possible.
- Facing Continental Threats, African Union Summit Fails To Deliver Answers
January 28 2013 6:06 PM
The 20th summit of the African Union came to a close in Addis Ababa, Ethiopia with most problems unresolved.
- What Will Really Change Now For Women On The Front Lines?
January 26 2013 10:23 AM
The Pentagon has decided women are now officially allowed to serve combat roles in the U.S. military. But they've already spent years in the line of fire.
- Understanding Mali: A Primer For A Complex Counterinsurgency
January 24 2013 12:06 PM
Here's a "who's who" to understanding the people, places and issues surrounding the Islamist counterinsurgency in Mali.
- Intervention In Mali Heightens Security Risk In France
January 23 2013 5:42 PM
France is facing a new domestic security threat as jihadists in Mali threaten a terrorist retaliation.
- Mali Refugees Face Dire Prospects As Conflict Continues
January 23 2013 5:50 AM
Hundreds of thousands of people have been displaced by the conflict in Mali, and it's only getting worse.
- Western Powers Rally Behind French Intervention In Mali
January 22 2013 4:10 PM
Logistical support from the U.S., UK and other Western powers is beefing up French capabilities in Mali.
- In Eritrea, Whispers Of A Quiet Protest Challenge Years Of Suppression
January 22 2013 5:46 AM
A mutiny in Asmara has raised new questions about the nature of dissent in Eritrea.
- France Gears Up For Long War In Mali
January 21 2013 4:14 PM
France has been unclear about its timeline for the intervention, but it will need a while to accomplish its ambitious goals.
- White Ivory For Asia, Dirty Business In Africa
January 19 2013 3:08 PM
High demand for ivory in Asia has spurred an increase in elephant poaching in Africa, endangering vulnerable communities.
- Big Oil Meets Big Green In The United Arab Emirates
January 19 2013 12:53 PM
The United Arab Emirates seems to lead the world in terms of renewable energy research -- so why all the oil rigs?
- Why Algeria Stands Alone In The Battle Against Jihadists
January 18 2013 2:50 PM
Algerian forces have responded to a hostage crisis with fierce independence, and their motives for doing so are murky.
- World Future Energy Summit Kicks Off In Abu Dhabi
January 16 2013 3:01 PM
The sixth annual World Future Energy Summit kicked off in Abu Dhabi. Featured speakers include French president Francois Hollande.
- French Boots On The Ground For Direct Combat In Mali
January 16 2013 12:44 PM
French troops are gearing up for on-the-ground combat in Mali, where an Islamist insurgency threatens global security.
- Mali’s Other Crisis: Slavery Still Plagues Mali, And Insurgency Could Make It Worse
January 16 2013 6:12 AM
Slavery still exists in Mali, and the current insurgency crisis has put the problem on hold.
- The Amazons of Kurdistan: Female Guerrillas Go To War For The PKK
January 16 2013 6:07 AM
Women have long played a leading role for the PKK, a designated terrorist organization in Turkey.
- A Brand New War: Western Forces Square Off Against Islamists In Africa
January 14 2013 5:51 PM
After France intervened to combat an Islamist insurgency in Mali, other superpowers have been gearing up to follow suit.
- Turks And Kurds Point Fingers After Paris Murders
January 12 2013 11:44 AM
Who killed Sakine Cansiz and two other Kurdish women in Paris? Turkish nationalists? PKK militants? Depends who you ask.