Articles by Jacey Fortin
- Intervention In Mali Heightens Security Risk In France
January 23 2013 5:42 PM
France is facing a new domestic security threat as jihadists in Mali threaten a terrorist retaliation.
- Mali Refugees Face Dire Prospects As Conflict Continues
January 23 2013 5:50 AM
Hundreds of thousands of people have been displaced by the conflict in Mali, and it's only getting worse.
- Western Powers Rally Behind French Intervention In Mali
January 22 2013 4:10 PM
Logistical support from the U.S., UK and other Western powers is beefing up French capabilities in Mali.
- In Eritrea, Whispers Of A Quiet Protest Challenge Years Of Suppression
January 22 2013 5:46 AM
A mutiny in Asmara has raised new questions about the nature of dissent in Eritrea.
- France Gears Up For Long War In Mali
January 21 2013 4:14 PM
France has been unclear about its timeline for the intervention, but it will need a while to accomplish its ambitious goals.
- White Ivory For Asia, Dirty Business In Africa
January 19 2013 3:08 PM
High demand for ivory in Asia has spurred an increase in elephant poaching in Africa, endangering vulnerable communities.
- Big Oil Meets Big Green In The United Arab Emirates
January 19 2013 12:53 PM
The United Arab Emirates seems to lead the world in terms of renewable energy research -- so why all the oil rigs?
- Why Algeria Stands Alone In The Battle Against Jihadists
January 18 2013 2:50 PM
Algerian forces have responded to a hostage crisis with fierce independence, and their motives for doing so are murky.
- World Future Energy Summit Kicks Off In Abu Dhabi
January 16 2013 3:01 PM
The sixth annual World Future Energy Summit kicked off in Abu Dhabi. Featured speakers include French president Francois Hollande.
- French Boots On The Ground For Direct Combat In Mali
January 16 2013 12:44 PM
French troops are gearing up for on-the-ground combat in Mali, where an Islamist insurgency threatens global security.
- Mali’s Other Crisis: Slavery Still Plagues Mali, And Insurgency Could Make It Worse
January 16 2013 6:12 AM
Slavery still exists in Mali, and the current insurgency crisis has put the problem on hold.
- The Amazons of Kurdistan: Female Guerrillas Go To War For The PKK
January 16 2013 6:07 AM
Women have long played a leading role for the PKK, a designated terrorist organization in Turkey.