Articles by J.J. McGrath
- Hamas, Israel Battle Continues In Gaza
November 17 2012 10:57 PM
"There are some indications that there could be a cease-fire soon," Egyptian President Mohamed Morsi said, but there are "no guarantees."
- Apple, HTC Enter Into 10-Year Cross-Licensing Deal, Exit All Patent Litigation
November 11 2012 8:47 PM
Apple and HTC reached a global settlement that encompasses the beginning of a 10-year cross-licensing deal and the end of all current lawsuits between them.
- Turn Back The Hands Of Time Sunday At 2 AM
November 03 2012 4:02 PM
Daylight saving time, or DST, this year in most of Canada, a lot of the U.S., and a little of Mexico began March 11 at 2 a.m. local standard time and ends Sunday at 2 a.m. local daylight time.
- DC May Be First Big US City To Bear Sandy's Wrath
October 29 2012 12:04 AM
Washington: First in war, first in peace, first in the National League East -- and, quite possibly, first in a string of big cities on the U.S. East Coast to feel the lash of Hurricane Sandy in a significant way.
- Frankenstorm Causes Flight Delays At 3 Major Airports
October 28 2012 4:07 PM
All trick and no treat, the Halloween Frankenstorm has led to flight delays at airports in Newark, N.J., Philadelphia, and New York.
- New York Will Shut Down Transit System Sunday Night
October 28 2012 10:38 AM
All subway, commuter-railroad, and bus service in New York will begin grinding to a halt Sunday at 7 p.m. EDT at the direction of state Gov. Andrew M. Cuomo.
- Notes From The Wunderground: Exemplifying The Positive Power Of The Web
October 27 2012 11:50 PM
Hurricane-Sandy-Cum-Frankenstorm appears to be on its way to striking the U.S. East Coast, and Weather Underground explains it all.
- Dish Dishes Out $700 Million To AMC, Cablevision In Settlement
October 21 2012 11:50 PM
“The Walking Dead” lives again on the Dish Network Corp.'s satellite-television service as the result of a lawsuit settlement announced Sunday.
- German Economy Cruisin’ For A Bruisin’ In 4Q
October 21 2012 9:14 PM
Germany will battle strong economic headwinds the rest of this year, the country’s Federal Ministry of Finance warned Monday.
- UBS, Credit Suisse Could Shed 7,000 Staffers: Report
October 21 2012 4:18 PM
UBS AG, Switzerland's largest bank, and the Credit Suisse Group AG, the country's second-largest bank, both may soon announce measures that would cut costs by slashing their head counts by as many as 5,000 and 2,000, respectively.
- Presidential Swing States Are True To Name
October 14 2012 11:37 PM
With the U.S. presidential election a little more than three weeks away, 11 of 50 states, representing 146 electoral votes, are considered toss-ups.
- Turkish PM Raises Specter Of Srebrenica In Critique Of UN Inaction On Syria
October 13 2012 10:38 PM
Turkish Prime Minister Recep Tayyip Erdogan took the United Nations Security Council to task Saturday over its inaction during the Syrian Civil War.
- Hugo Chavez Re-Elected As Venezuela’s President
October 07 2012 11:58 PM
Hugo Chavez could be Venezuela’s president for the next six years after winning re-election in a closely watched contest Sunday.
- China’s GDP Growth May Fall To 7.7% From 9.3%: Report
October 07 2012 10:54 PM
Growth in the gross domestic product of the world’s second-largest economy may drop by a sizable 1.6 percentage points between 2011 and 2012, according to the World Bank’s “East Asia and Pacific Economic Data Monitor” released in Singapore on Monday.
- Deadly Fungal Meningitis Outbreak Widens In US: CDC
October 07 2012 9:30 PM
The known number of people with fungal meningitis in a multistate outbreak that has already killed seven rose to 91 on Sunday from 64 on Saturday, according to data provided by the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.
- Detained Blogger Yoani Sanchez Cut Loose In Cuba
October 07 2012 12:04 AM
Yoani Sanchez -- author of the dissident blog “Generacion Y” -- was freed by Cuban authorities after about 30 hours in custody.
- China’s Factory PMI Still Sluggish In September
September 30 2012 10:33 PM
The factory slump in the world’s second-largest economy continues as China's Manufacturing Purchasing Managers Index, or PMI, rose to 49.8 in September from 49.2 in August.
- Berkshire Unit To Buy 2 California Wind Projects
September 30 2012 6:46 PM
Warren Buffett’s Berkshire Hathaway Inc. (NYSE: BRK-A, BRK-B) will get just a shade greener as its MidAmerican Wind unit announced Sunday its agreement to buy two wind-energy projects in Tehachapi, Calif.
- ‘Homeland’ And ‘Modern Family’ Win Big At Emmys
September 23 2012 11:48 PM
"Homeland" was the big surprise winner as the outstanding drama series at the 64th Primetime Emmy Awards show in Los Angeles Sunday.
- Status Quo May Score Big Win On US Election Day
September 22 2012 11:36 PM
If the U.S. elections were held not Nov. 6 but today, it appears there would be no change in control at either the White House or the Congress.