Articles by Joseph Lazzaro
- US Jobless Claims Unexpectedly Jump
March 28 2013 8:48 AM
A survey of economists had expected jobless claims to dip to 340,000.
- US Job Market Getting Its Mojo Back?
March 25 2013 11:30 AM
U.S. job growth has accelerated to more than 200,000 per month. But why did it take so long?
- The Best News In A Year For US Job Seekers
March 08 2013 8:46 AM
The gain in 236,000 jobs was well above estimates and the unemployment rate fell to 7.7 percent.
- Dow 14,000: Is It Too Late To Buy US Stocks?
March 07 2013 4:58 PM
The Dow has raced to more than 14,000. Have you missed the party? Most certainly not, if you choose quality companies.
- US Jobless Claims Downtrend - Fewer Pink Slips
March 07 2013 9:07 AM
The decline is good news for the U.S. economic expansion.
- US 4Q GDP Improves But Still Weakest Since 2011
February 28 2013 8:58 AM
Although 4Q GDP was revised higher, the economy must grow at a much stronger rate to lower the U.S.' high unemployment rate.
- Bengal Famine Of 1943 - A Man-Made Holocaust
February 22 2013 6:23 AM
At least 3 million people died from starvation and malnutrition during a famine in the Indian province of Bengal.
- Dow Jones Industrial Average A Lock To Hit 17,000 In 2013? Not So Fast ...
February 15 2013 8:40 AM
The Dow has vectored toward 14,000, but investors in U.S. stocks would be wise to keep one eye on Washington and one on the price of oil.
- US Jobless Claims Drop 27k To 341k, In Weather-Skewed Week
February 14 2013 8:50 AM
U.S. initial jobless claims fell 27,000 to 341,000 in the latest week, the U.S. Labor Department announced on Thursday.
- US Government Posted $3B Surplus In January
February 12 2013 3:21 PM
The U.S. government posted a $3 billion surplus in January -- the first monthly surplus since 2008.
- Vatican Shocker: Pope Benedict To Resign
February 11 2013 6:17 AM
Pope Benedict will step down on February 28, the first pope to do so since the Middle Ages, says a spokesman for the Vatican.
- Considering That Dream House? 6 Tips For US Home Buyers
February 11 2013 5:57 AM
For many reasons, this is not “your father’s U.S. housing market,” hence buyers should consider these 6 tips before placing a home deposit.
- Can You Find A House Buyer Quicker? 5 Tips For US Home Sellers
February 04 2013 5:30 AM
The U.S. housing market remains a challenging one, but there are several tactics sellers can deploy that should help sell their home quicker.
- US Economy Added 157,000 Jobs In January, But Unemployment Rose To 7.9%
February 01 2013 8:50 AM
The U.S. economy added 157,000 jobs in January, the U.S. Labor Department announced Friday.
- Fed Keeps Interest Rates, Easing The Same
January 30 2013 2:48 PM
The U.S. Federal Reserve kept short-term interest rates the same and maintained its current level of quantitative easing, the central bank announced Wednesday.
- Amazon.com 4Q Operating Income Up 56%
January 29 2013 5:01 PM
Amazon.com's fourth-quarter operating income rose 56 percent to $405 million, pushed higher by growth in higher-margin businesses, the company reported Tuesday.
- US Appeals Court Says Obama NLRB Recess Appointments Unconstitutional
January 25 2013 12:02 PM
Obama didn't have the authority to make three recess appointments in 2012 to the National Labor Relations Board, the U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals for the D.C. Circuit ruled Friday.
- Vice President Biden Sworn In For Second Term
January 20 2013 9:39 AM
Vice President Joe Biden, with his wife, Jill, and family and friends beside him, was officially sworn in for a second term on Sunday.
- Hill GOP Seeks 3-Month Debt Ceiling Hike, Tied To Budget Passage
January 18 2013 3:31 PM
House Republican leaders Friday announced that next week they would seek a three-month extension of federal borrowing, tied to the passage of a federal budget.
- Reports Of US Dollar’s Death Are Greatly Exaggerated
January 18 2013 2:16 PM
Quantitative easing’s long-term dollar impact has not been determined. That said, to cite Twain, reports of the dollar’s death are greatly exaggerated.