Articles by Joseph Lazzaro
- Boehner: No Long-Term Debt Ceiling Hike Without Senate Budget
January 18 2013 1:29 PM
U.S. House Speaker John Boehner, R-Ohio, said Friday that there should not be a long-term increase in the debt ceiling until the U.S. Senate passes a budget.
- Algerian Kidnappers Seek Release Of 'Blind Sheikh'
January 18 2013 9:18 AM
Algerian kidnappers are seeking the release of Aafia Siddiqui, Omar Abdel-Rahman, known as the Blind Sheikh, ANI reported Friday.
- 25 Foreign Hostages Escape Algeria Seige: Source
January 17 2013 9:01 AM
Twenty-five foreign hostages, including two Japanese citizens, escaped from the siege of a gas plant deep in the Algerian desert on Thursday, an Algerian security source said.
- US CPI Flat In Dec, Up Just 1.7% In 2012
January 16 2013 9:10 AM
U.S. consumer prices were flat in December and rose just 1.7% in 2012, the U.S. Labor Department announced Wednesday.
- US Forces To Transition To Afghan Support Role This Spring
January 11 2013 3:39 PM
The United States and coalition forces will transition to a support role in the Afghanistan War this spring, the Obama administration announced Friday.
- Twin Explosions Kill 56 In Quetta, Pakistan: Police
January 10 2013 2:23 PM
Twin explosions killed at least 56 people in the Pakistani city of Quetta on Thursday evening, a police official said, hours after a bombing in Quetta's market killed 11.
- US Secretary Of Labor Solis Is Resigning
January 09 2013 5:09 PM
U.S. Labor Secretary Hilda Solis, a long-time member of President Barack Obama's Cabinet and the first Latina to head a major federal agency, announced plans to resign on Wednesday.
- NYC Commuter Ferry Crash Injures 57
January 09 2013 11:29 AM
A commuter ferry crashed into a pier in lower Manhattan early Wednesday, injuring 57 people, one critically, the New York City Police Department said.
- Why Can’t The United States' Two Political Parties Compromise?
January 01 2013 6:41 PM
Gridlock in Washington stems partly from electorate changes and party from zealotry, and it will take another election or two to end.
- North Korea's Kim, In Rare Address, Calls For End To Confrontation With South Korea
December 31 2012 10:07 PM
Kim's speech stunned many: the two Koreas are, technically, still at war in the absence of a peace treaty that ended their 1950-53 conflict.
- As US Fiscal Cliff Nears, One Eye On Senate, One Eye On House
December 30 2012 10:12 AM
With U.S. Senate leaders inching toward a budget deal to avert the cliff, one eye was fixed on the Senate, the other on the House.
- US Longshoremen Agree To Extend Contract For 30 Days: AP
December 28 2012 11:56 AM
The U.S. Longhoremen have agreed to extend their contract for 30 days on the East and Gulf coasts, The Associated Press reported Friday.
- 3 NJ Police Officers Shot Friday; Gunman Killed
December 28 2012 11:10 AM
Three New Jersey police officers were shot early on Friday at their police station, and one was in surgery for his wounds, a hospital official said.
- Kerry Perfect Choice For US Secretary of State: Obama
December 21 2012 4:34 PM
President Barack Obama on Friday nominated John Kerry to replace Hillary Clinton as secretary of state, calling him the "perfect choice" as he began reshaping his national security team for his second term.
- Obama To Nominate John Kerry For US Secretary Of State
December 21 2012 11:21 AM
President Barack Obama on Friday will announce his nomination of Senator John Kerry as secretary of state to succeed Hillary Clinton, senior administration officials said.
- UBS To Pay $1.5 Billion To Settle Libor Probe
December 19 2012 12:01 PM
Swiss bank UBS accepted a $1.5 billion fine on Wednesday after admitting fraud and bribery in a deepening scandal over the rigging of global benchmark interest rates.
- Reid Rejects Boehner's 'Plan B' To Avert Fiscal Cliff
December 18 2012 12:18 PM
House Speaker John Boehner's backup plan that would extend low income tax rates for households $1M a year "cannot pass both houses of Congress," Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid said on Tuesday.
- US Consumer Prices Fell 0.3% In November
December 14 2012 9:00 AM
U.S. consumer prices declined in November for the first time in five months, falling 0.3 percent, as gasoline price declines offset increases in other areas, the U.S. Labor Department announced Friday.
- Susan Rice Withdraws Name From US Secretary Of State Nomination
December 13 2012 4:40 PM
Susan Rice withdrew her name from consideration as U.S. secretary of state on Thursday in the face of what promised to be a difficult Senate confirmation battle.
- Bomber Kills 1 US Service Member At Afghan Base, Shortly After Panetta Visit
December 13 2012 3:43 PM
A suicide bomber killed one American service member and wounded three other U.S. troops outside a base in southern Afghanistan on Thursday shortly after a visit there by U.S. Defense Secretary Leon Panetta, officials said.