Articles by Joseph Lazzaro
- US Stock Futures Signal Lower Open Monday On Fiscal Cliff Concern
November 26 2012 8:10 AM
Stock futures fell on Monday as investors returned to the market after a holiday-shortened trading week, focused on the meeting of euro zone finance ministers on Greece and negotiations in the U.S. over the "fiscal cliff."
- Fiscal Cliff: Time Is On The Budget Negotiators’ Side, Yes It Is
November 25 2012 3:52 PM
The most feasible budget deal is one that spreads tax increases and spending cuts out over a longer time period.
- Pope Benedict Urges Israel, Palestinians To Make 'Courageous Decisions'
November 21 2012 2:39 PM
Pope Benedict Wednesday urged Israeli and Palestinian leaders to make "courageous decisions" to end the Gaza conflict, saying it risked spilling over into the rest of the Middle East.
- Israel, Hamas Agree To Ceasefire: Sources
November 21 2012 12:40 PM
Israel and Hamas agreed on Wednesday to a ceasefire brokered by Egypt on the eighth day of intensive Israeli fire on the Gaza Strip and militant rocket attacks out of the enclave, Israeli, Palestinian and Egyptian sources said.
- United Airlines Not Responsible For Alleged 9/11 Security Lapse: Judge
November 21 2012 11:09 AM
United Airlines is not responsible for alleged security failures that led to a hijacked flight that crashed into the World Trade Center during the Sept. 11, 2001 terrorist attack, a judge ruled Wednesday.
- Tel Aviv Bus Hit By Bomb, At Least 10 Wounded
November 21 2012 8:15 AM
A bomb exploded on a bus in central Tel Aviv on Wednesday, wounding at least 10 people in what Israeli officials said was a terrorist attack that could complicate the Gaza cease-fire efforts.
- US Budget Talks – A Fiscal Slope, Not A ‘Cliff’
November 18 2012 1:39 PM
Sans the hysteria, the U.S. budget situation is like a living room getting cooler, not a "fiscal cliff."
- Oil Platform Catches Fire In Gulf Of Mexico; 2 Missing
November 16 2012 4:00 PM
An oil platform in the Gulf of Mexico operated by Houston-based Black Elk Energy burst into flames on Friday, leaving at least two people missing and badly injuring several others, U.S. and Louisiana officials said.
- BP Agrees To Pay $4.5B In Penalties For US Deepwater Horizon Oil Spill
November 15 2012 12:21 PM
BP agreed to plead guilty to 11 felony criminal charges and one misdemeanor charge, and to pay the fine over five years.
- US Jobless Claims Surge 78,000 To 439,000 On Hurricane Sandy
November 15 2012 9:06 AM
U.S. initial jobless claims rocketed 78,000 higher to 439,000 -- a surge largely triggered by the impact of Hurricane Sandy, the U.S. Labor Department announced Thursday.
- Pelosi To Remain House Minority Leader
November 14 2012 10:30 AM
U.S. House Minority Leader Nancy Pelosi, D-Calif., will head the House Democratic caucus for at least two more years, her office announced Wednesday, the Washington Post reported.
- Top US Commander In Afghanistan Under Investigation In Petraeus Scandal
November 13 2012 8:08 AM
The top U.S. commander in Afghanistan, General John Allen, is under investigation for alleged inappropriate communication with a woman at the center of the scandal involving former CIA Director David Petraeus.
- Euro Zone Crisis: Europe Now Experiencing Sub-National Demands For Political Autonomy
November 11 2012 4:32 PM
The EU is now witnessing regional demands for greater political autonomy secession – demands that can only weaken continental unity.
- CIA Director Petraeus Resigns
November 09 2012 3:09 PM
CIA Director Petraeus has resigned, due to an extramarital affair, The AP reported Friday. Details to follow.
- Election Coverage: Obama Reelected
November 06 2012 5:56 PM
Obama has been reelected. Ohio put the Democrat over the 270 electoral vote threshold. Check back with the live blog for the latest updates.
- Gas Shortage: Hurricane Sandy Reveals US’s Vulnerability To Gasoline/Diesel Supply Disruption
November 03 2012 4:28 PM
First, the U.S. must help every person hurt by Hurricane Sandy. Second, the nation must end its gasoline/diesel supply vulnerability.
- Apple Quarterly Revenue Meets Forecasts, iPad Disappoints
October 25 2012 5:17 PM
Apple Inc. reported quarterly revenue that met Wall Street expectations even as iPad sales disappointed. Trading in the stock was halted after hours.
- Syria Accepts Holiday Truce, Russia Says
October 25 2012 11:22 AM
The government of Syrian President Bashar al-Assad has indicated to Russia that it will accept U.N.-Arab League peace envoy Lakhdar Brahimi's proposal for a Muslim holiday ceasefire.
- Fed Maintains QE3, Inflation Up Slightly
October 24 2012 2:24 PM
The Federal Reserve on Wednesday stuck to its plan to keep stimulating the U.S. economy until the job market improves and repeated its vow to keep rates near zero until mid-2015.
- Armstrong Stripped Of 7 Tour de France Titles
October 22 2012 9:05 AM
Lance Armstrong was stripped of his seven Tour de France titles and banned for life on Monday after the International Cycling Union (UCI).