Articles by Joseph Lazzaro
- Obama Nominates Elisse Walter To Head US SEC
November 26 2012 12:07 PM
The Obama administration will nominate Elisse Walter, a current U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission board member, to replace the outgoing Mary Schapiro as chairwoman of the SEC.
- US SEC Chair Mary Schapiro To Step Down Next Month
November 26 2012 11:00 AM
U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission Chairman Mary Schapiro said she will step down next month, the SEC announced Monday.
- US Stock Futures Signal Lower Open Monday On Fiscal Cliff Concern
November 26 2012 8:10 AM
Stock futures fell on Monday as investors returned to the market after a holiday-shortened trading week, focused on the meeting of euro zone finance ministers on Greece and negotiations in the U.S. over the "fiscal cliff."
- Fiscal Cliff: Time Is On The Budget Negotiators’ Side, Yes It Is
November 25 2012 3:52 PM
The most feasible budget deal is one that spreads tax increases and spending cuts out over a longer time period.
- Pope Benedict Urges Israel, Palestinians To Make 'Courageous Decisions'
November 21 2012 2:39 PM
Pope Benedict Wednesday urged Israeli and Palestinian leaders to make "courageous decisions" to end the Gaza conflict, saying it risked spilling over into the rest of the Middle East.
- Israel, Hamas Agree To Ceasefire: Sources
November 21 2012 12:40 PM
Israel and Hamas agreed on Wednesday to a ceasefire brokered by Egypt on the eighth day of intensive Israeli fire on the Gaza Strip and militant rocket attacks out of the enclave, Israeli, Palestinian and Egyptian sources said.
- United Airlines Not Responsible For Alleged 9/11 Security Lapse: Judge
November 21 2012 11:09 AM
United Airlines is not responsible for alleged security failures that led to a hijacked flight that crashed into the World Trade Center during the Sept. 11, 2001 terrorist attack, a judge ruled Wednesday.
- Tel Aviv Bus Hit By Bomb, At Least 10 Wounded
November 21 2012 8:15 AM
A bomb exploded on a bus in central Tel Aviv on Wednesday, wounding at least 10 people in what Israeli officials said was a terrorist attack that could complicate the Gaza cease-fire efforts.
- US Budget Talks – A Fiscal Slope, Not A ‘Cliff’
November 18 2012 1:39 PM
Sans the hysteria, the U.S. budget situation is like a living room getting cooler, not a "fiscal cliff."
- Oil Platform Catches Fire In Gulf Of Mexico; 2 Missing
November 16 2012 4:00 PM
An oil platform in the Gulf of Mexico operated by Houston-based Black Elk Energy burst into flames on Friday, leaving at least two people missing and badly injuring several others, U.S. and Louisiana officials said.
- BP Agrees To Pay $4.5B In Penalties For US Deepwater Horizon Oil Spill
November 15 2012 12:21 PM
BP agreed to plead guilty to 11 felony criminal charges and one misdemeanor charge, and to pay the fine over five years.
- US Jobless Claims Surge 78,000 To 439,000 On Hurricane Sandy
November 15 2012 9:06 AM
U.S. initial jobless claims rocketed 78,000 higher to 439,000 -- a surge largely triggered by the impact of Hurricane Sandy, the U.S. Labor Department announced Thursday.