- Reid Rejects Boehner's 'Plan B' To Avert Fiscal Cliff
December 18 2012 12:18 PM
House Speaker John Boehner's backup plan that would extend low income tax rates for households $1M a year "cannot pass both houses of Congress," Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid said on Tuesday.
- US Consumer Prices Fell 0.3% In November
December 14 2012 9:00 AM
U.S. consumer prices declined in November for the first time in five months, falling 0.3 percent, as gasoline price declines offset increases in other areas, the U.S. Labor Department announced Friday.
- Susan Rice Withdraws Name From US Secretary Of State Nomination
December 13 2012 4:40 PM
Susan Rice withdrew her name from consideration as U.S. secretary of state on Thursday in the face of what promised to be a difficult Senate confirmation battle.
- Bomber Kills 1 US Service Member At Afghan Base, Shortly After Panetta Visit
December 13 2012 3:43 PM
A suicide bomber killed one American service member and wounded three other U.S. troops outside a base in southern Afghanistan on Thursday shortly after a visit there by U.S. Defense Secretary Leon Panetta, officials said.
- AMR Pilots Ratify New Labor Contract
December 07 2012 3:27 PM
American Airlines pilots on Friday voted to ratify a new union contract, ending a years-long labor dispute and stabilizing American's parent, AMR Corp, as it tries to emerge from bankruptcy.
- US Navy Hero, 91, Recalls WWII Pearl Harbor Attack
December 07 2012 9:24 AM
At age 19, Delton Walling agreed to have an injured finger surgically removed so he could enlist in the U.S. Navy, and went on to see action in most major World War Two battles in the Pacific.
- US Economy Added 146K Jobs In November - Better Than Expected
December 07 2012 8:41 AM
The U.S. economy created 146,000 jobs in November -- better than expected -- the U.S. Labor Department announced Friday.
- HSBC Might Pay $1.8B Money Laundering Fine: Sources
December 06 2012 11:16 AM
HSBC Holdings Plc might pay a fine of $1.8 billion as part of a settlement with U.S. law-enforcement agencies over money-laundering lapses, according to several people familiar with the matter.
- Citigroup To Cut 11,000 Jobs, Take $1.1B Charge
December 05 2012 9:33 AM
Citigroup Inc will eliminate 11,000 jobs worldwide, about 4 percent of its total staff, in a move to save as much as $1.1 billion a year in expenses.
- Obama To Fill Sec. of State, Defense Posts Soon
December 04 2012 8:22 PM
President Barack Obama is expected to announce his nominees for secretaries of state and defense in the next two weeks,
- Obama To Fill Secretary of State, Defense Posts Soon; Hagel On Short List For DOD
December 04 2012 8:10 PM
President Obama is expected to announce his secretaries of state and defense nominees in the next 2 weeks. Republican Senator Chuck Hagel is on the short list for DOD head.
- Divided Government An Obstacle For US Budgetary Solutions
December 02 2012 11:55 AM
The ideological divide is huge: If the two sides don’t compromise on fiscal issues, major damage will be inflicted on the U.S. and global economies.
- US Home Prices Rose 0.3% In September In 20-City Index: Case-Shiller
November 27 2012 9:15 AM
U.S. home prices rose 0.3 percent in September, after an 0.8 percent rise in August, according to the 20-city S&P/Case-Shiller home price index.
- Obama Nominates Elisse Walter To Head US SEC
November 26 2012 12:07 PM
The Obama administration will nominate Elisse Walter, a current U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission board member, to replace the outgoing Mary Schapiro as chairwoman of the SEC.
- US SEC Chair Mary Schapiro To Step Down Next Month
November 26 2012 11:00 AM
U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission Chairman Mary Schapiro said she will step down next month, the SEC announced Monday.
- US Stock Futures Signal Lower Open Monday On Fiscal Cliff Concern
November 26 2012 8:10 AM
Stock futures fell on Monday as investors returned to the market after a holiday-shortened trading week, focused on the meeting of euro zone finance ministers on Greece and negotiations in the U.S. over the "fiscal cliff."
- US Budget Talks: Time Is On The Negotiators’ Side
November 25 2012 3:52 PM
The most feasible budget deal is one that spreads tax increases and spending cuts out over a longer time period.
- Pope Benedict Urges Israel, Palestinians To Make 'Courageous Decisions'
November 21 2012 2:39 PM
Pope Benedict Wednesday urged Israeli and Palestinian leaders to make "courageous decisions" to end the Gaza conflict, saying it risked spilling over into the rest of the Middle East.
- Israel, Hamas Agree To Ceasefire: Sources
November 21 2012 12:40 PM
Israel and Hamas agreed on Wednesday to a ceasefire brokered by Egypt on the eighth day of intensive Israeli fire on the Gaza Strip and militant rocket attacks out of the enclave, Israeli, Palestinian and Egyptian sources said.
- United Airlines Not Responsible For Alleged 9/11 Security Lapse: Judge
November 21 2012 11:09 AM
United Airlines is not responsible for alleged security failures that led to a hijacked flight that crashed into the World Trade Center during the Sept. 11, 2001 terrorist attack, a judge ruled Wednesday.